Author Topic: Methi  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Methi
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Hi all,

In my holy triumvirate of fave curries the Methi is up there with Dhansak and Madras. It is a smoky, musty savoury curry that really goes well with lamb in particular.

I noticed there is no recipe for it on here so thought I'd have a go.  Quite often this is missing from BIR menus but they will always make it for you.  I imagine it is a bog-standard medium curry or a bhuna with added Fenugreek leaves (that was always the KD method)

So I concocted a basic medium curry using some helpful tips from the forum!

300 ml base (Taz's this time)
portion pre-cooked meat
1 tsp restaurant masala (I used CA's this time)
1 tsp mild madras or basaar powder
1 tbsp tomato puree mixed with 2 tbsp water
half tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
3 tbsp Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves - try to remove any really twiggy ones or rub between hands a bit)
half tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil

1. Heat oil and add g/g paste and simmer for 1 min
2. add powdered spices and simmer stirring for 1 min
3. add tomato puree/water stir for 30 secs
4. add a ladle of base and reduce to a thickish paste
5. add pre-cooked main ingredient & sugar
6. top up base bit by bit to get desired consistency (Methi will clog it up a bit so keep it a bit runny)
7. add fenugreek leaves
5. heat for a min and serve

The dark flecks in the sauce are the fenugreek - it was delicious even if I do say myself :)

Notes: Fenugreek really fades fast so only add just before eating.  If reheating you will need to add more to get the real flavour

Too much fenugreek can become bitter - so add to taste if unsure.  The sugar helps balance the sauce.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Methi
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54 PM »
Tomdip this looks great - I can see how you've taken a basic Masala curry and turned it into a methi - this is not a curry I'm familiar with but it sounds tasty and looks excellent.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Tom this is not a dish I have tried yet but I do love the Methi taste. Fortunately I do have a local restaurant that does this and will try it next outing. I am fairly sure they mention using fresh Methi, I imagine this may behave slightly diferently to dried?

Looking good. :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:53 AM »
Hi Tom,

Not a dish that I've ever tried myself but have seen it many many times in the restaurants and TA's.

I really like the look of your's mate, nice and oily, just how I like them  ;D

Just one point about Methi, you mention adding it towards the end as it fades (I assume you mean, fades in flavour?)  I was always of the understanding that, unlike coriander, methi needs a real good cook out and should always be added near the start of the dish?

Methi is a funny herb, it can really lift a dish from 'okish' to something really outstanding, too much, and you ruin the dish.

I've got to give this one a try, it's only 08:50 and I'm thinking of curry :o

Thanks Tom, good work mate!

Ray :)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I have never used fresh fenugreek, my only knowledge is from a pat chapman book saying that overcooking can make it bitter.

Razor i think it depends on the flavour you are going for. As a background flavour I add methi early on, but for the full "methi" curry it needs to go in at the end.  I have made 30 portion pots of this style of  and re-heated the next day and the methi flavour fades to almost nothing.

Would be very interested for some inside info on how a BIR chef would make theirs.  I just imagine they are more likely to have dried rather than fresh methi in the kitchen.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Tom, just out of curiosity, how is the dish described on the menu where you have eaten it? The Shanaz describes this dish as being bitter sweet but does not mention fresh methi.

Bhaji's improve when allowed to rest for a few days and the individual flavours seem to join together and calm down. I'm surprised that the Methi is almost lost completely though, especially being quite pungent.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:43 AM »
Hi all,

So I concocted a basic medium curry using some helpful tips from the forum!

300 ml base (Taz's this time)
portion pre-cooked meat
1 tsp restaurant masala (I used CA's this time)
1 tsp mild madras or basaar powder
1 tbsp tomato puree mixed with 2 tbsp water
half tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
3 tbsp Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves - try to remove any really twiggy ones or rub between hands a bit)
half tsp sugar
2 tbsp oil

1. Heat oil and add g/g paste and simmer for 1 min
2. add powdered spices and simmer stirring for 1 min
3. add tomato puree/water stir for 30 secs
4. add a ladle of base and reduce to a thickish paste
5. add pre-cooked main ingredient & sugar
6. top up base bit by bit to get desired consistency (Methi will clog it up a bit so keep it a bit runny)
7. add fenugreek leaves
5. heat for a min and serve

The dark flecks in the sauce are the fenugreek - it was delicious even if I do say myself :)

Notes: Fenugreek really fades fast so only add just before eating.  If reheating you will need to add more to get the real flavour

Too much fenugreek can become bitter - so add to taste if unsure.  The sugar helps balance the sauce.

Hi Tomdip,

I've noticed that you have not used any seasoning, i.e. salt, is there a reason for that with this particular dish? :)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Hi Tomdip
Looking like a really good Methi, love kasuri methi, rubbing it in the palms of your hands, releases the Aroma/Fragrance and Flavour, a really important technique in Indian cooking. Having said that, I hardly ever see a BIR chef, bothering to do it when their busy getting the orders out.

To keep a strong Methi flavour in your curries, may I suggest you add it twice. Once at the beginning, roasted in the Tarka, then again towards the end of cooking.
I also use fresh methi, but its not the same flavour, an acquired taste for most, in my view.

I also love making Methi Aloo and even Spicy Methi Masala Chips ;D

Methi all the way for me, cheers Chewy

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Whoops forgot to mention the salt - special brownie points for noticing ;) just add to taste, I use a pinch only.

Chewy, my spice mix has a bit of kasuri methi in so it goes in with spice stage - have to have it in all my curries as it is one Flavour/aroma I associate with a proper curry.

Offline moezus

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 06:27 AM »
Made this last weekend with CA's base. Was awesome. My favourite dish to order at my local restaurant is "Chicken Methi Masala".
This Methi recipe tasted better than the restaurant, only thing missing which i'll add next time is some pre-fried onion and I'll never eat curry out again.

©2024 Curry Recipes