Author Topic: Methi  (Read 6287 times)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Methi
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 07:59 AM »
Made this last weekend with CA's base. Was awesome. My favourite dish to order at my local restaurant is "Chicken Methi Masala".
This Methi recipe tasted better than the restaurant, only thing missing which i'll add next time is some pre-fried onion and I'll never eat curry out again.

Hi Moezus, glad your curry was better than the restaurant! CAs base is excellent too. Hope the fried onion gives you curry perfection :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:12 PM »
I order lamb methi at my favourite restaurant in Glasgow which is Punjabi. Like most of their lamb dishes(not tikka), they resemble a spicy stew, with no overwhelming background taste (base / garlic/ginger etc) making each dish fairly unique in its own right.  They use spinach also in theirs which I find has a similar flavour to methi. Not sure if its pureed / canned or fresh spinich, but the flavour is intense. Smoky/musty description is spot on...If anyone else has other recipies for methi i'd be interested!

Offline MethiGoshtFreak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Im a long time methi addict as you may tell by my handle...

Your dish looks great!

For your interest most chefs i know add a tsp of dried methi leaves at the very start
when heating the oil.This adds real background depth plus a tablespoon if pureed spinach from a tin about halfway thru
cooking and a sprinkle if methi and coriander leaves a couple of minutes before the end of cooking.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Methi dishes used to be popular, at least when I was living in Oxfordshire around the early 80s.

I don't see them so much these days on BIR menus. I do love the musty smell and flavours though.

Cheers,

Paul

©2024 Curry Recipes