Author Topic: mickdabass' Ultimate Tikka Marinade  (Read 82076 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: mickdabass' Ultimate Tikka Marinade
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2015, 04:24 PM »
A good alternaitive indeed to Blades recipe.  Tikka looks the business but I always have to pass on CTM  ;)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2015, 07:53 PM »
That looks lovely hs01. Glad you enjoyed it. Which CTM recipe did you use?
Regards
Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2015, 08:02 PM »
I'm definitely going to give this a go. I like the look of it and the results look great. I need to try something new as getting a bit stale cooking the same old stuff. So Mick's Tikka is on the go this weekend, and CH's NIS next weekend once the Pataks pastes arrive (still sticks in my throat).

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2015, 09:38 PM »
I need to try something new as getting a bit stale cooking the same old stuff. So Mick's Tikka is on the go this weekend, and CH's NIS next weekend once the Pataks pastes arrive (still sticks in my throat).
Sorry Garp, but they are only used in moderation in this house. We may be able to dispense with them for good once we can create our own suitable alternatives ;) Let us know how you get on with the tikka mate

Offline hs01

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Hi Mick, I used this recipe posted by Curry King:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,539.0.html

As I mentioned I have made your tikka a few times, the last time I added some Pataks tikka paste that was lingering in the fridge, I did not think that it added anything to the taste and will be sticking to your recipe in future (but dropping the star anise  :D)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2015, 06:16 PM »
My first attempt at Mick's Tikka marinade today - to the letter but missed out the star anise/fennel.

The colour isn't as vibrant as some I've seen, and I put that down to a couple of things:

1/ My Tandoori Masala (TRS brand) contains only natural colours,
2/ The amount of water diluted it a bit too much (I did follow the recipe, honest)

I even added some orange food colouring.

Taste wise, it was very nice and I will certainly tweak it to my own taste and use it again.

Thanks MDB :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2015, 09:13 AM »
How can you make it to the letter but miss out star anise/fennel?

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Thanks for trying the recipe Garp. Im glad you quite liked it.I have noticed quite a big difference between Rajah and TRS Tandoori Massala. I think the TRS quantity needs upping by 3 tsp and also you will need to add some salt too - 1 tsp. That will obviously reduce the wateriness too! As you point out, the TRS also lacks food colouring so you do need to add some of that too.
Because of these variations, I have been taking my marinade to the next level - Basically by producing my own Tandoori Massala because of these variations which have such a large impact to the finished marinade. I just have too much going on outside of the kitchen which is stopping my R&D. But hey - ho Im nearly there

Regards

Mick

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2015, 04:46 PM »
Hi Mick. I enjoyed it very much.

I always add a little salt with the lemon juice at the pre-marinade stage so was ok that way. I've used Rajah Tandoori Masala in the past and found it a little overpowering when using the tikka in a curry. That was using a different recipe, however, which didn't have the same liquid content as yours, so it might work out ok.

Taste wise it was very nice and I will be using it again  :)

Offline extremecapture

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Made this today from the original recipe, and after trying a few recipes, i must admit, its the best ive ever tasted. Thanks for sharing the recipe all those years ago.

©2024 Curry Recipes