Author Topic: mickdabass' Ultimate Tikka Marinade  (Read 82074 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: mickdabass' Ultimate Tikka Marinade
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2012, 02:20 PM »
Cheers Edwin.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 04:39 PM »
AAAAGGGHH

Sorry guys I have been away for a long week end without internet access. Just trying to catchup now....
Thank you all so much for the interest in my recipe.

With regards the spoon thing, I just use a bog standard teaspoon for a teaspoon measurement and a bog standard desert spoon for the desert spoon measurement!!! As long as the same teaspoon or desert spoon is used to measure the ingredients, I dont think you will be far wrong Or to put it another way, as long as the ingredients are in the right proportion you should be ok.

What I will do later is amend my recipe with the correct amounts.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 05:27 PM »
This has been on my radar since i first joined the forum.  As for it not being BIR - why?? ::)  The only ingredient i haven't seen used in a tikka marinade is ground fennel / star anise.  Everything else is quite common place.Since we know that this is used in some BIR's as a final addition, there's nothing to say that it may not be added to some BIR marinades.  No pastes!!! Could that be the reason??  I only started using the stuff when i joined!!!!  Until then it was PC's tandoori masala all the way and that has remained my TM of choice over the pre-packed stuff.  That's only about 30 years ago  ???.
Next lot of chicken tikka will be done using this recipe.  One question i have though is how discernable is the sugar in the final taste, ie.  does it add  a slight sweetness to the finished tikka or does it simply merge into the overall flavour?  Reason for asking, on a rare occasion i tried tikka, it was delicately spiced but had a sweetish after taste and was absolutely deliscious :P

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 05:59 PM »
This has been on my radar since i first joined the forum.  As for it not being BIR - why?? ::)  The only ingredient i haven't seen used in a tikka marinade is ground fennel / star anise.  Everything else is quite common place.Since we know that this is used in some BIR's as a final addition, there's nothing to say that it may not be added to some BIR marinades.  No pastes!!! Could that be the reason??  I only started using the stuff when i joined!!!!  Until then it was PC's tandoori masala all the way and that has remained my TM of choice over the pre-packed stuff.  That's only about 30 years ago  ???.
Next lot of chicken tikka will be done using this recipe.  One question i have though is how discernable is the sugar in the final taste, ie.  does it add  a slight sweetness to the finished tikka or does it simply merge into the overall flavour?  Reason for asking, on a rare occasion i tried tikka, it was delicately spiced but had a sweetish after taste and was absolutely deliscious :P
Hi CH
Good question...and quite hard to answer too! The sugar cancels out the bitterness of the vinegar in the mint sauce and also imparts a very slight sweetness to the tikka. I have played about with the quantity quite a bit in the past, but to my palette, the recipe quantity is just right.

This is a good example of why I have been slightly vague with the actual quantities, because I believe that my recipe is just a guideline as I expect that 90% of people will probably tweak the ingredients to their own personal tastes anyway.
I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

As said previously, I will sort out the exact quantities as soon as :)

Best Regards

Mick

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Thanks for the lightning response.  I will make as per the recipe and go from there.  As you say,we all tend to tweak recipes according to our tastes which is of course  a chef's right,  having made things to spec the first time of course ;D .

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Well done mickdabass
Have Just eaten your chicken Tikka straight from the Tandoor  8) with the family
And its up there with blades ;)
I do baste my chicken with butter when I take it out of the  Tandoor then when on the dish a squeeze of lemon
and a sprinkle of coriander       Hope you approve  :)
Anyway congratulations on a successful recipe and a thread that will go on

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Well done mickdabass
Have Just eaten your chicken Tikka straight from the Tandoor  8) with the family
And its up there with blades ;)
I do baste my chicken with butter when I take it out of the  Tandoor then when on the dish a squeeze of lemon
and a sprinkle of coriander       Hope you approve  :)
Anyway congratulations on a successful recipe and a thread that will go on

Thanks mate.

Ive never tried basting with butter, but I do think the lemon juice is essential.
I also leave it to cool for 5 or so minutes on some kitchen paper before serving.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55 PM »
I note with a sense of shame that I have still not done this one yet the recipe looks inviting - and so I declare in this public forum that it will be prepared on Friday and eaten on Saturday!

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2012, 10:09 PM »

I note with a sense of shame that I have still not done this one yet the recipe looks inviting - and so I declare in this public forum that it will be prepared on Friday and eaten on Saturday!

:)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Ok  as promised I have been checking out the size of my desert spoon that I used for measuring out some of the ingredients.

Its come as a bit of a surprise but it is the equivalent to 5 teaspoons!!!

In other words:

1 tsp = 5ml

1 dsp =25ml

I know these sizes probably dont comply to some EU legislation or something but there you go

Hope that makes things a bit clearer

©2024 Curry Recipes