Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: November 08, 2005, 02:06 PM »
Hi my name is Ian and I'm a curryaholic.

Long time reader, 1st time poster.

I?ve been trying recipes from The Curry Secret (Khris Dhillon) for a while now and have had fair to middling results.

Nothing that would pass as a real restaurant dish.  :'(

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 02:30 PM »
Hi Ian,

The actual curry recipes in the curry secret book are a bit naff to say the least, try some of the recipes from this forum and hopefully you will have a bit more success  ;)

Cheers
cK

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 03:51 PM »
Which base would you recommend?

I?ve noticed quite a few amendments to the KD gravy, but I have limited free time to try experimental recipes out.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Your best bet is to try something like the Bruce Edwards base first this has had nothing but praise from most of the people that have tried it:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=108.0

As for experimenting I think thats part of trying to perfect restaurant currys, I think most of us have the same problem though in that the mess, smell and time make it difficult to do  :(

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Will give it a go, I still have a pan of KD base on the go that I made at the weekend but Will dump that and go straight for this one.

Thanks.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:07 PM »
You should have tried Pete's madras recipe first. It uses the KD base and he reckons he has produced an exact restaurant style copy with it.

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 07:17 PM »
The pan is still on the hob so theres time yet, can you point me to the right recipe and I'll give it a go.

Have printed off the Bruce Edwards recipe so I'm just compiling a shopping list.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 10:02 PM »
The recipe is here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=536.0

Pete's comments after he achieved success are here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=536.15 about half way down the page.

You should note that Pete used the oil scooped from the KD base to make the curry, but he uses a lot more oil in the base than the KD recipe. If you've followed the KD base recipe then you probably won't have much to scoop off and Pete puts his success down to the reuse of the base oil, so you may not be lucky, but no harm in trying, eh?

Please let us know your results if you do try it, complete with your cooking method if it varies at all from the recipe.

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 09:05 AM »
Luckily I had been lurking here for a while and noticed people getting better success rates using the skimmed oil.  I've been putting much more than needed in the KD recipe and got about 300ml skimmed off to save :)

Just checked and I have everything for the Madras (will substitute chicken for Prawn).

Have printed off Bruce Edwards Guide and will make up a batch of the curry powder mix.

Going to try it today so will post results later.

And hopefully some photos.

Which would be the best forum to post my findings.

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 11:06 AM »
I think it would be useful to continue in the thread that started it, i.e. Pete's original madras recipe thread, but it would probably be best to post your pictures in the pictures group http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=10.0? and then link to them. I think the pics have got a 500kB limit so watch out for that!

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

©2024 Curry Recipes