Author Topic: Coogans Base Sauce - good all rounder.  (Read 2045 times)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Coogans Base Sauce - good all rounder.
« on: June 02, 2011, 09:56 AM »
This base sauce I find is a great all rounder. It is basically a modified, enhanced and simplified adaption of the KD1 base. I consider that I have differentiated and improved enough from the original to be able to put my own name to this base without fear of being accused of plagiarism.

You can vary the amount of fresh chillies used to suit the strength of your final batch - 1-2 chillies for a Masala or up to 20 for a Madras.  The fresh chillies used at this stage are essential, I find that they impart a certain taste, fragrance and heat that just can not be replicated by the use of powdered cayenne.

Makes enough to make 12 final portions

Coogans Base Sauce

1 kilo sliced onions
50g each finely grated peeled ginger and garlic
3 pints water
1tsp salt
500g tomato passata
8 tbsp oil
1tsp tandoori masala - any good brand
1tsp turmeric
1tsp paprika
2-3 Fresh green Chillies
Stalks from Large bunch of coriander

Simmer the onions in the boiled water for 40 mins. Meanwhile fry garlic and ginger in hot oil until browned, add and bhuna the spices for 20 secs then add the passata and fry on for ten mins.  Add to the onion mix plus the salt, coriander stalks, chillies and cook on for five mins. Then blend, bring back to the boil and simmer for another 20 mins skimming of any scum that accumulates on top.

Coogan 2011

Bon curry

Offline knobjunior1974

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coogans Base Sauce - good all rounder.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 07:22 PM »
Just made this and can honestly say it rocks!!  Perfect taste.  I've been looking for years to get 'the taste' and this is it!!!  Awesome recipe, highly recommended.  Perfect in every way!  As a helpful hint, I used frozen cubes of garlic and ginger from Asda.  ?1 a bag and saves the kerfuffle of using fresh and tastes great.

©2024 Curry Recipes