Author Topic: garden charcoal tandoor  (Read 23673 times)

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
garden charcoal tandoor
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:17 PM »
hi all,

been searching the forum about these garden tandoors which are available.

opinions seem to be mixed about them, with some people saying they wouldnt buy one but without stating any reasons. the net seems to be a bit sparse with reviews except on the vendors websites (marketing hype?) so if anyone could share the cons of these ovens i would very much appreciate it.

?300 is a lot of money to me (and to most folks im sure) to spend on such an item (although i really dont mind doing it :P ;)) so i would like to make sure it would be a worthwhile investment.

many many thanks in advance.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: garden charcoal tandoor
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:41 PM »
?

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:23 AM »
?

im sorry, is there some confusion? :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 04:48 PM »
it's really down to personal choice. would i spend 300, 200 or 100? - No.

i cook ~90% of tikka on my gas bbq. it produces that succulent/tender inside meat with a slight crisp outside in the few places where it gets a tad burnt. that smoky taste is not something that i can pick out and not a differentiator - the tikka marinade is the taste part for me.

the difference between the gas bbq and domestic oven or frying pan is a step change and one i'd be happy to spend on.

i also have wood burning chiminea and cook tikka on this now and then. the tikka is very close to a tandoor (nb won't do naan).  i can tell a difference between it and the gas bbq but it's not huge. the centre is more succulent/tender yet still cooked down to the high heat/relatively quick cooking time. the oustside is slightly more crisper. i think the smoke has a bigger impact down to dripping's from the meat dropping onto the hot embers instantly causing smoke.

what does suprise me though is how poor a lot of BIR tikka is given they use a proper tandoor. it's clearly not all in the equipment but recipe and cooking to use fresh play important parts.

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 05:59 PM »
thank you very much for your input jerry. most useful. :)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44 AM »
Sorry about the ? But I googled "Garden charcoal tandoor" with no success so I was unsure of what product you were referring to hence the ?

Should you purchase a Tandoor - absolutely. There in no barbecue or oven on the market that can cook skewered food in the same way as or produce the same results as a tandoor - I have tried. It is all down to the unique quick cooking method - heat conducting up the skewer to cook the food from the inside whilst the intense generated heat 400C plus cooks it from the outside resulting in food cooked thoroughly and with the natural juices and added flavors sealed within.  But its not just about Indian cooking but a totally new concept of cooking that offers opportunities to experiment and discover whole new cooking experiences.  I can dry roast vegetables - peppers, onion, courgette, mushrooms, aubergine, tomatoes, corn on cob etc on skewers in 5 mins. Cook whole sardines in 4 mins, chicken breast in 6-8 mins or even sausages skewered length ways in 3 mins without even having to turn them. The list is endless it really has changed my life - anyone serious about their cooking should seriously consider purchasing a tandoor.

What garden tandoors are available? Believe me I have researched. You have the Chiminea 100 pound type construction this is really just a garden ornament and heat provider that was never meant for cooking purposes and certainly could not be described as or create the associated food of a tandoor  - a total imposter to the tandoor market. Or a makeshift overpriced clay lined pedal bin on wheels 200 pound plus that can cook naan bread reasonably successfully when it has eventually got up to temperature but is not proficient at providing and maintaining the equal high temperature environment required for cooking skewered food tandoor style.
Or finally the Nipoori Tandoor oven 150 pound professional bit of cooking apparatus that was specifically designed by a tandoor enthusiast to quickly get up to temperature  - 400c in 10 mins, whilst using the most minimum amount of fuel and to maintain that temperature equally within for as long as possible - 60mins on one bag of instant light - to cook food on skewers tandoor style to perfection. Whilst still ensuring that the tandoor would be affordable, long lasting, easy to use, lightweight, portable, element resistant and be capable of being used as a standard barbecue as well.

He certainly pulled it of. The choice for me was simple.

Bon tandoor

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:32 PM »
thanks coogan.

i had not seen the nippori oven.

i was looking at the clay ones which retail at 300 quid.

this one does interest me (and more importantly my wallet) however it would appear you cannot cook naan with this oven.

this wouldnt be the end of the world as i could make chipatti but experimenting with naan could be fun............is it worth another 150 quid though ::)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 10:36 AM »
Oh yes! The wallet always knows best. I cannot imagine why anyone would wish to buy a tandoor solely for the purpose of cooking Naan bread I would have thought the novelty would have worn of after making half a dozen - far to time consuming just for something to mop your sauce up with.

In fact why does everyone seem to have such a fixation on Naan when there are so many other Indian breads to choose from - Paratha, Chapatti, Roti, Puri, Luchi, Bhatura etc. Just a simple Chapatti for the healthy choice or my favorite the Paratha - not so healthy - I like to use it as a plate with the curry served on top so it absorbs all the spare juices and sauce then I can eat it at the end and no plate to wash up. But I must admit I normally just buy the Sainsbury's garlic and coriander two pack naan for 89 pence brush with butter add some extra freshly chopped coriander and pop in a heated oven to fluff up for 5 mins - not at all bad for 45 pence each I say.

bon naan

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:48 AM »
In fact why does everyone seem to have such a fixation on Naan when there are so many other Indian breads to choose from - Paratha, Chapatti, Roti, Puri, Luchi, Bhatura etc.
Agreed, although a Keema naan with a lamb dhansak, lime pickle and onion salad is definitely one instantiation of Heaven.

Just a simple Chapatti for the healthy choice or my favorite the Paratha - not so healthy - I like to use it as a plate with the curry served on top so it absorbs all the spare juices and sauce then I can eat it at the end and no plate to wash up.
Crikey, I hate to think what the table cloth would look like if I were to try this, never mind the french-polished surface underneath !

But I must admit I normally just buy the Sainsbury's garlic and coriander two pack naan for 89 pence brush with butter add some extra freshly chopped coriander and pop in a heated oven to fluff up for 5 mins - not at all bad for 45 pence each I say.
I've never had a supermarket naan that anywhere near approached a freshly made naan from the tandoor; would you really recommend that I try Sainsbury's, in the belief that they have achieved a near-miracle ?

** Phil.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Hi imustbedreamin

my missus bought me a charcoal tandoor from spicesofindia for my birthday in december and I must say its one of the best presents i have ever had. It cost ?285 and came with a canvas cover, 8 stainless skewers, a grill thingy that drops inside, some spare clay for any repairs ( non needed as yet)  a naan bread removal tool, a naan bread hook and a cushion for applying them.Theres not a weekend that goes by when Im not Im playing with the Tandoor.

Cant vouch for the nipoori thingy . The fact that you cant cook naans on it would put me off buying one - although apparently you can but personally  I cant see how  that its possible.

The main disadvantages of a tandoor are the heating up time - about 2 hours, the mess of scraping out the ash, and  the availability of charcoal in the winter. The main advantage is that I dont think there is a better way of cooking Tandoori food and naans other than in a tandoor.

©2024 Curry Recipes