Author Topic: garden charcoal tandoor  (Read 23670 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: garden charcoal tandoor
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48 PM »
I'm not convinced on the Nipoori either. Generally, the more someone tries to sell me something the more concerned I get. No offence Coogan but since joining every post seems to be either directly or indirectly promoting the Nipoori oven and as none of us know you it is difficult to take your enthusiasm with anything other than a pinch of salt.

I'm sure the sceptics on the site will assume you are somehow associated to the company that makes them. The message about being sent a free one didn't exactly help dissuade us either.

If Nipoori want an honest assessment of their system they can send me one to test. I'd be happy to give an unbiased side by side comparison against my gas BBQ and oven. If it is as good as you say it is I'll be happy to sing its praises. I'm sure Solar will come and give me a hand. 2 reviews for the price of one.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:56 PM »
No offence Coogan but since joining every post seems to be either directly or indirectly promoting the Nipoori oven
Statistically speaking, Chris, I don''t think that statement holds water.  I have just reviewed the last ten of Coogan's 60+ posts, and he mentions the Nipoori only once.  Yes, that particular message [1] read more like a promo. than an unbiased review, but I don't think that there is any statistical evidence that would support your claim that Coogan is in some way associated with Nipoori.

If Nipoori want an honest assessment of their system they can send me one to test. I'd be happy to give an unbiased side by side comparison against my gas BBQ and oven. If it is as good as you say it is I'll be happy to sing its praises. I'm sure Solar will come and give me a hand. 2 reviews for the price of one.
Better still, let them send one to every active member of CR0, and they will surely get at least a dozen rave reviews !
** Phil.

[1]
Quote from: Coogan
Or finally the Nipoori Tandoor oven 150 pound professional bit of cooking apparatus that was specifically designed by a tandoor enthusiast to quickly get up to temperature  - 400c in 10 mins, whilst using the most minimum amount of fuel and to maintain that temperature equally within for as long as possible - 60mins on one bag of instant light - to cook food on skewers tandoor style to perfection. Whilst still ensuring that the tandoor would be affordable, long lasting, easy to use, lightweight, portable, element resistant and be capable of being used as a standard barbecue as well.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:58 PM »

Sure will :) - Come on Nipoori - Send us an oven to test  ;D

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Hi imustbedreamin

my missus bought me a charcoal tandoor from spicesofindia for my birthday in december and I must say its one of the best presents i have ever had. It cost ?285 and came with a canvas cover, 8 stainless skewers, a grill thingy that drops inside, some spare clay for any repairs ( non needed as yet)  a naan bread removal tool, a naan bread hook and a cushion for applying them.Theres not a weekend that goes by when Im not Im playing with the Tandoor.

Cant vouch for the nipoori thingy . The fact that you cant cook naans on it would put me off buying one - although apparently you can but personally  I cant see how  that its possible.

The main disadvantages of a tandoor are the heating up time - about 2 hours, the mess of scraping out the ash, and  the availability of charcoal in the winter. The main advantage is that I dont think there is a better way of cooking Tandoori food and naans other than in a tandoor.

thanks for your input mick.

i have looked at your thread which has been both useful and entertaining. you do seem to be having fun with it.

the nipoori is an option but im the type of person who does something right or not at all. a tandoor to me is a clay oven.

i guess if i do get one it will be a 300 squid one. ::)

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 01:01 PM »
also thanks everyone else for your input.............keep it coming :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 03:01 PM »
I have just reviewed the last ten of Coogan's 60+ posts, and he mentions the Nipoori only once.

I make it 13 of the last 28 either directly or indirectly. But I take your point and maybe I'm being a bit unfair. I must have missed the threads where he talks about other things so I apologise.

My point was supposed to be that actually I like the idea of the Nipoori but I don't want to spend so much money on something that isn't as good as it appears. A peer review would be perfect but I would prefer it came from a long established member rather than someone who could potentially be working for them. I'm not saying he is, but in a forum environment anything is possible. I actually invited the Nipoori people to the site initially when I was researching the products. It wasn't long after that Coogan joined and started promoting it. You can see why I would be suspicious, even if it is unfounded.

Coogan, it would be BRILLIANT if you could come to the CR0 Curry in the Park with the Nipoori and we can all have a go. For details and to sign up see my signature. It's a family day with kids welcome too. The more the merrier.

Thanks
Chris

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Well I think Nippori should send me a freebie because I already have a tandoor and could do an unbiased side by side comparison so come on Ganesan, Khalsarule and Coogan - either put up or shut up

bon product placement...again  ;D

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Hi Chris,

Who rattled your cage! You should make sure your get your facts right if you want to accuse someone of something that does not exist. Looking back on my first posting you contacted the Company then. Obviously after I had joined the forum not before. All I wanted to do was join this forum and share some recipes and experiences the fact that I mention my tandoor is pretty obvious considering I enjoy and cook on it. Most of my talk on the unmentionable subject has been your doing thanks to inviting the people involved to discuss the issue on my first thread sorry I responded - I did not even know that they were even available again. Considering the fact that they have now offered me a freebie I thought that it would be only right to wax lyrical about it and tell the truth about a great tandoor in this thread. Why do you not contact them yourself - again - and ask to try one out. Then when you find out how ruddy good they are and start telling the rest of the forum they can all gang up on you after one suspicious member accuses you of conspiracy.

Bonne nuit

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40 PM »
mick,

you say a big disadvantage is the 2hr heating time............do you now have a lid and it takes this long or is it without a lid?

cheers

sye

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 07:13 PM »
mick,

you say a big disadvantage is the 2hr heating time............do you now have a lid and it takes this long or is it without a lid?

Actually Sye I tend to now cook the seekh kebabs first as soon as the charcoals are white - much like a standard bbq  the reason being that they soon start dripping fat. It runs down the skewers onto the charcoal. I have found that if the tandoor is too hot the fat ignites and sets fire to the kebabs lol. As far as the lid goes, I am undecided as to whether it makes a massive difference to the temp in the tandoor. It has the effect of reducing the airflow through the tandoor. Hard to explain but if u think of a blacksmiths forge and the use of bellows, you might get the idea. Im thinking of starting another thread documenting my continuing trials and tribulations soon...  Watch this space lol

©2024 Curry Recipes