Author Topic: Bruce Edwards Sauce ? Request for info on getting the right ingredients  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
Restaurant Masala - I need curry powder to make this, on the front page under Curry Powders Bruce says ?not the corner shop or supermarket variety? Is there any particular brand others would recommend.

Bay Leaves ? Do is specifically need the Asian variety, or would the English variety be usable.

Oil ? I?ve used mainly Ghee bought in large tubs but now find most people are getting acceptable flavour with supermarket vegetable oil, again is there a brand people would recommend over another.

Queries regarding the wording of the recipe

Lemon - The recipe states "1/4 whole chop"? Does this mean skin as well?

1 Tinned tomato ? 1 plum tomato from a tin, or 1 tin of plum/chopped tomatoes?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
You will find that some people use different brands or makes but one thing that's usualy in common is that a BIR will use the cheapest available to them.

Restaurant Masala
I use Rajah madras curry powder to make the restaurant masala.

Bay Leaves
I use my own home grown bay leaves.

Oil
Some restaurants ive been in use ghee in certain currys but im not sure its a requirement of the base sauce, I just use cheapo supermarket veg oil and thats fine.

Lemon - The recipe states "1/4 whole chop"? Does this mean skin as well?
Yes I assume that it includes the peel and have always added it, it doesn't say otherwise.

1 Tinned tomato ? 1 plum tomato from a tin, or 1 tin of plum/chopped tomatoes?
Personaly I omit the fresh tomato and use 1 tin of plum/chopped

Cheers
cK
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 03:17 PM by Curry King »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Restaurant Masala - I need curry powder to make this, on the front page under Curry Powders Bruce says “not the corner shop or supermarket variety” Is there any particular brand others would recommend.

The general opinion on this forum seems to be that the curry powder isn't important. I don't agree with this, but assuming it is correct you should try to use the brands sold in asian shops, like TRS, Rajah, natco etc.

Bay Leaves – Do is specifically need the Asian variety, or would the English variety be usable.

Good question. I use bay leaves from TRS (etc.), and I assume they are the asian variety. I do know there is a definite difference in flavour between asian and english bay leaves, so I would go for the dried TRS variety.

Oil – I’ve used mainly Ghee bought in large tubs but now find most people are getting acceptable flavour with supermarket vegetable oil, again is there a brand people would recommend over another.

I think that we have decided that ghee is not used for curries in general so veg oil is probably the way to go. Any veg oil will do, but for health reasons rape seed oil would seem to be the best.

Lemon - The recipe states "1/4 whole chop" ?Does this mean skin as well?

yes, including skin.

1 Tinned tomato – 1 plum tomato from a tin, or 1 tin of plum/chopped tomatoes?

1 whole tomato from a tin. There is already 1 fresh tomato and some puree and you don't want too much tomato.The base should be 'oniony' in nature, not tomatoey.

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info.

I was just shocked to think of all that lemon pith in the base, it's got such a strong taste.

©2024 Curry Recipes