Author Topic: Coriander/Cilantro....  (Read 1948 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Coriander/Cilantro....
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I always knew there was something more to Coriander/Cilantro than just that wonderful taste.... :)

Cilantro (Leaf and stem) - Coriandrum Sativum (Umbelliferae)
Cilantro contains the antioxidants camphor, carvone, elemol, geraniol and limonene. A natural deodorizer, cilantro relieves nausea, indigestion and bloating. Consuming cilantro (the seeds of which are the spice coriander) helps reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Cilantro kills Salmonella and removes heavy metals such as mercury from the body. Cilantro has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and can be easily grown in the home garden.

Offline imustbedreamin

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coriander/Cilantro....
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 09:51 AM »
well thats a good reason(s) for a curry if you ask me ;D

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 02:55 PM »

That's really interesting.

Cilantro as I understand it is what Americans call what we call Coriander, you can always rely on Americans to come up with their own word for something that everyone else knows as something else!

I've always been fascinated by the 'Ayurvedic' benefits of Indian food and spices and many of the spices used in Indian cookery are there specifically for the health or digestive properties they possess. Turmeric for example, one of the main components used in Indian cookery doesn't really impart a huge amount of flavour to the dish (at least not when compared to say Coriander, Cumin, Fenugreek etc) but is used for its primarily for colouring, curcuminoid content and digestive properties.

Likewise asafoetida which is used primarily for its digestive and anti-flatulence properties which is why it's often used in conjunction with not easily digested ingredients such as beans or lentils. Fresh chillis also have very high quantities of Vitamin C in them etc etc.

It's a fascinating subject and as long as indian food is cooked with moderate amounts of fats or oils and combined with vegetable and pulse dishes it's actually a very healthy and nutritious cuisine.

Cheers and good Karma!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:50 AM »
Guys, sorry to be anal, but this (like many other posts recently) is NOT a recipe and should have been posted (and now moved to) a more appropriate section of the forum.

©2024 Curry Recipes