Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2634 times)

Offline yesiamdave

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Hi. I'm Dave.

Been looking for some authentic curry recipes to impress my friends at dinner etc. Oh and cause I love curry myself. Tried loads of so called 'authentic recipes' but they never seem the same. Hopefully I can learn some things here.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:54 PM »
Dave,

Welcome mate, you have come to the right place. there is a wealth of curry chefs/ enthusiasts on this forum and some brilliant recipes to use. You wont be short of advise either.

good luck and have fun.

Alan ;D

Offline yesiamdave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:56 PM »
Thanks. Is there a simple base gravy you can recommend to me? I'd like to start somewhere simple. Going to have a look at the recipes now.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:00 PM »
Hi yesiamdave,

Probably the most simple and in my mind one of the best Bases on this forum is Taz's, simple but delicious..... give it a try....

Oh!! And welcome to the forum by the way, you won't need to search any further for you're Indian dream....... :)

Offline yesiamdave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:04 PM »
I'm really hoping one day to be able to have a bit of a come dine with me style evening, and put on two or 3 different dishes. I'll have a look at Taz's recipe and give it a go tomorrow.

One thing I have always had trouble finding is ginger/garlic paste. Also, are there any implements that make peeling the garlic cloves easier? Its a right pain.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Dave,

I can also vouch for Taz's base as well, i have had excellent results with it too.
 More experianced chefs than myself are endorsing chewytikkas base as being the mutts knutts.(Razor ;D).

so i am giving that a try next.

Alan ;D

Offline yesiamdave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12 PM »
What is BE spice also?

Seen it in some recipes.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:20 PM »
spice mix by an author called Bruce Edwards.

I use Razors spice mix which is the mutts knutts ;D. Just go on one of his recipes and there will be a link leading to his spice mix.

Alan ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Sorry yesiamdave,

But if you want the fruits you have to labour I'm afraid......

You can buy ready made garlic puree, ginger puree and a mixture of garlic/ginger puree.....

But the best way is to peel it all yourself, blend it to a smooth paste, add 1 tsp turmeric, (a natural preserver) some rapeseed oil and pop it in a jar in the fridge where it will last for about 3 weeks and taste much better than the pre-made jar stuff.

Also when putting into a jar, ensure you cover it with enough oil to form a seal then before putting the lid on, just put a cover of cling film on the top of the jar before screwing the lid on, to keep the air out, it stays fresher for longer!! :)

Offline yesiamdave

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.

I am going to make Taz's base sauce tomorrow. One last thing - is there a simple recipe that you would recommend to me for a first try? I'd like to be able to make something medium hot. Maybe Dhansak strength but with a little more sauce. Personally I like Madras but the GF finds it too hot.

A lot of the recipes seem quite advanced, but I will definitely try them.

Glad I found this site.

©2024 Curry Recipes