Author Topic: advice from bir  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
advice from bir
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:18 PM »
This is the first time I?ve used Taz?s base sauce recipe, before I cooked it I wrote it down and took it to my favourite BIR for their input. Raj suggested using fresh tomatoes too, for more flavour, also ground coriander and cumin. I asked about using saffron and was told some at the end along with fresh coriander. So I added these suggestions and started cooking. A flavoursome result!  :)

Raj also went on to say all the ingredients were right, it's just about the cooking becoming second nature, timing important too.

Earlier this evening going to my favourite BIR I took a small sample for Raj and his wife, who is the brilliant chef, for them to critique. ?Tasty?, she said ?You could be an Indian chef!? Then after talking in her own language to Raj, went on to say ?The spice would be better to be cooked in the oil first, carefully to avoid being burnt; or simmer for longer?. Raj said ?It?s a good base sauce!?

I was really chuffed at the BIR for their input and critique.
Will definitely be using this recipe again. Thanks!  ::)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: advice from bir
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Hi

Nice report :)

So, is it correct that they seemed to think using ground spices would be preferred to using the whole seeds in the Taz base? and to pre-fry them a little?

Thanks

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:00 AM »
Hi! Raj suggested using ground spice too, and yes fry in the oil, taking care not to burn them prior to adding the rest of the ingredients. He also added perhaps cook the sauce for longer if you don't want to risk burning the spice, if you are not pre-frying the spice.  :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Hi! Raj suggested using ground spice too, and yes fry in the oil, taking care not to burn them prior to adding the rest of the ingredients. He also added perhaps cook the sauce for longer if you don't want to risk burning the spice, if you are not pre-frying the spice.  :)

Hi

Thanks!

Would be good to get Mick's take on this too. It does sound very reasonable. I wonder if anyone has tried this 'tweak' already?

Cheers

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Hi

I tried using the pre fried spices at the start and made the base with the whole spices.  Definitly noticed the difference with whole spices particularly the coriander had a greater depth of flavour IMHO.  But the difficulty lies in blending the spices small enough at the end without getting coriander husks left over!! 

Barry

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:16 PM »
Hi!

I was concerned about coriander husks in the sauce, so I used the liquidiser on my food processor - no husks! Sieving could be an option I guess, but it'd take quite a while! Thanks for your comments  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes