Author Topic: New member  (Read 40682 times)

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: New member
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 03:59 PM »
Welcome to an already amazing site Abdul ;D.

As you have already found on here, there is a lot of passionate chefs willing to learn. I sincerley hope that you continue to post on here with great regularity as we can only benefit from someone who has such good credentials.

I must say i also like the tone in your posts and like the majority on here do not question your integrity.

I have also purchased your book and look forward to enjoing both the traditional and BIR recipes it contains.

In the meantime i look forward to you posting the staff recipe, I can assure you i will be one of the first to try  ;D

Regards

Alan ;D

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Hello mate you're from Grays? Blimey small world.....

Favourite Takeaway has to be The Pappadam in the Broadway,always nice food,best madras for me(although my wife always moans the tikka is bland and mine is so much better!!)

I used to go the the New Delhi in Orsett Road every week without fail,from the late 80's right up until it moved next to Mumford's chip shop about five years ago.Proper old school 1980 BIR flavours until it moved out of sight.Unfortunately the food changed and the portion sizes decreased.I actually got to know the owner really well,could kick myself now he offered me a few lessons in the kitchen,really before I got into this cooking lark.

Nowadays I go Spices Restaurant in Orsett Road,bit expensive but great food and staff,the speciality dish they do called Tawa chicken is to die for!!!

Yes, I'm from Grays, Stifford Clays in fact although i have lived in South Stifford now for 20 years.  Haven't tried Poppadum in the broadway.  Friend of mine says it's quite good.  Will have to see how their Chicken Phall stacks up ;D.  Like yourself, i used to use the New Dehli in its original location and knew John quite well, having been a customer for quite some time.   As you say, once it moved, quality of the food deteriorated and the prices increased.  Went once and told him exactly what i thought and have not returned since.  I can remember eating there when it was called the Grays Curry Center.  At that time i practically lived in the Padma.  Ahh, memories and what great food :P. Good old Mr Rashid.  I believe the New Dehli is reopening as another Indian restaurant!!!.   I too eat at spice.  Nice food and a great bunch of lads although service is slow, and there is never any rush.  Had a taste of the tava dish.  Impressive how it's served.  It's the only restaurant i know that serves a curry dish on a tava.  Very novel :o. I love the north Indian special - phall strength of course.  My normal take away is the night palace, known for some time as the Shampaan Balti House.  I can remember when Ali used to be the chef.  Now he owns the place with his brother.  As for Preem, read your thread and would be very interested in having a lesson or just spending some time observing the goings on :o.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 10:44 PM »
The Padma!!! Blimey forgot about that one.Shame about the New Delhi they really did make lovely food back in the day,didn't know it is re-opening though that's interesting.North Indian very nice choice(not sure about phall strength though!!).Haven't used the Shampaan since it was done up,must give it another go.Get yourself in the Preem had a great night in the kitchen saw everything first hand.I'm tempted to go back and ask the chef quietly for one to one lessons in my house.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 10:59 PM »
The Padma!!! Blimey forgot about that one.Shame about the New Delhi they really did make lovely food back in the day,didn't know it is re-opening though that's interesting.North Indian very nice choice(not sure about phall strength though!!).Haven't used the Shampaan since it was done up,must give it another go.Get yourself in the Preem had a great night in the kitchen saw everything first hand.I'm tempted to go back and ask the chef quietly for one to one lessons in my house.
I have very fond memories of the Padma and the lads in the kitchen and out front.  My first introduction to Indian food and the first kitchen i got to visit.  Very tempted to visit the Preem to see what goes on.  What was the Thai Palace, next to the New Dehli, is opening under different ownership so don't get too excited just yet JB.  Not sure about its state of readiness yet.  The Shampaan has been very tastefully refurbed and is a far cry from what it has been since i started eating there some 30 years ago.  The food is as good as always.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:24 PM by curryhell »

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2011, 01:09 AM »

You must have hundreds of Handi (staff curry) recipes, do you have a nice one that you are willing
to share with the members.

cheers Chewytikka

On the bone Tandoori Chicken Curry

Ingredients

Oil ? 6 tbsp
2 onions ? 500g ? chopped into small cubes
2 on the bone Chicken - 2kg ? cut into medium pieces (if off the bone then 2 ? kg)
? Capsicum ? chopped into small cubes
3 Green chillies ? sliced
Shatkara Bangladeshi citrous macroptera ? 150g
Tin of plum tomatoes ? 200g
Garlic ginger - 1 tbsp
Tomato puree paste - 1 tbsp
Salt ? ? tbsp
Tikka masala paste ? 1 tbsp
?8 Spice? ? 2 tbsp
Gravy ? 3 pints

Method

1.   Chicken ? cut into medium pieces, wash thoroughly and set aside.

2.   Shatkara ? defrost, wash and set aside (if fresh then wash and set aside).

3.   Tin of plum tomatoes ? blend and also set aside.

4.   In a cooking pot add oil, garlic ginger, capsicum, onions and salt (according to taste). Cook over medium heat until golden (est. 15-20 minutes).

5.   Then add 3 green chillies and stir for 1 minute. Then add Tikka masala paste, ?8 Spice? and stir well for 2-3 minutes.  Add tomato puree paste and again stir well for 2-3 minutes.  Add the blended plum tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.

6.   Plunge the chicken into the cooking pot; squeeze the satkura (to rinse out as much water possible); and place into cooking pot. Stir well and cover the pot with a lid and over full heat, cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.

7.   Then turn to a slow heat and cook for 2 minutes.

8.   Add 3 pints of gravy and cook for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.

9.   Finally add a dash of coriander.

I hope you will enjoy cooking this dish as it is one of my favourite recipes. I hope the pictures will also give you an idea as to how it should appear. ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2011, 10:01 AM »

I hope you will enjoy cooking this dish as it is one of my favourite recipes. I hope the pictures will also give you an idea as to how it should appear. ;D

Hi Abdul
Thanks very much for your recipe, I can get Shatkora at my corner shop and I really like it in a curry, usually with Ury/Sheem.
Unfortunately Fractions don't work on this forum, they appear as question marks, if its not too much trouble, could you modify your post please.
Many thanks Chewy

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Excellent stuff Abdul. Chicken on the bone recipes in my experiance are really tasty.

Before I try this recipe would it be possible for the gravy recipe you used for this dish and also the spice mix you used.

Thanks Alan

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Abdul/Chewy,

What is Shatkora please?

Thanks,

Ray :)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Abdul/Chewy,

What is Shatkora please?

Thanks,

Ray :)

Hi Ray
 It's a type of fruit, (lime /Lemon)
 Culinary uses In Sylhet Bangladesh the fruit is seldom consumed raw or as a juice, but is instead sliced and cooked, either green or mature, in beef, mutton, and fish curries, as well as in stews. The fruit is a primary ingredient in "hatkora/shatkora pickle

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Thanks for posting, Abdul.

Can you modify the recipe to use decimals rather than fractions, as the forum cannot seem to handle fractions?

Also, what is tikka masala paste?

©2024 Curry Recipes