Author Topic: Coogans Tandoori Lamb Rogan Josh - TDF  (Read 11610 times)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Coogans Tandoori Lamb Rogan Josh - TDF
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Tandoori Lamb Rogan Josh

This recipe makes enough for 11 good size portions. I have made a tandoor/ tikka version of the dish but if you wish you can pre-cook the lamb as normal and add to the sauce to cook on at the end. 

Tandoori Lamb

A 3 kilo whole leg of lamb boned and cut into bite size pieces - reserve bone. Put the lamb pieces into a large bowl add two tablespoons of salt and the juice from one large lemon. Give the whole lot a good mix, cover and then leave for about 20 mins whilst you prepare the marinade.

Marinade

300 mls yoghurt
2 inch ginger peeled and chopped         
3 cloves garlic peeled and chopped       
1 tbsp ground black cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp tandoori masala
1 tbsp garam masala
2 tbsp mint sauce in vinegar
3 fresh chilies

Place all the marinade ingredients into a blender, blitz until smooth and mix with the lamb pieces, cover and leave to marinate for 3 to 4 days. Rinse of the excess marinade mixture from the lamb and pat dry with kitchen paper. Toss in mustard oil and paprika. Load on to skewers. Cook in fired up nipoori/ tandoor for 6-8 mins.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coogans Tandoori Lamb Rogan Josh - TDF
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Base Gravy

1 kilo sliced onions
Leg bone from the lamb
2 whole medium size beetroots
1 large cinnamon stick
10 whole black cardamoms
5g mace
10 whole cloves
3 pints water
50g each of finely grated peeled ginger and garlic
1tsp salt
500g carton tomato passata
8 tbsp oil
1tsp tandoori masala
1tsp turmeric
1tsp paprika
50g fresh chilies
Stalks from large bunch of coriander

Simmer the onions, beetroot, lamb bone, cinnamon, black cardamom, mace and cloves in the boiled water for 50 mins. Meanwhile fry the garlic and ginger in hot oil until browned, add and bhuna the turmeric, paprika and tandoori masala for 30 secs, add the passata and fry on for ten mins then add to the onion mix.  Remove the bone and cinnamon stick and discard or give to the dog to enjoy. Peel and chop the now cooked beetroot and return to the mix along with the salt, coriander stalks, chilies and cook on for five mins. Then blend the whole lot, bring back to the boil and simmer for another 20 mins skimming of any scum that accumulates on top.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Rogan Josh Sauce

3 tbsp coriander seeds
3 tbsp cumin seeds
4 tsp poppy seeds
4 tsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp turmeric
2 tbsp Bassar Masala
1 tbsp ground black pepper
10 tbsp oil
1 tbsp black cumin seeds
2 tbsp black mustard seeds
2 x 500g Cartons of tomato passata
500 mls Greek yoghurt
1.5 pints of boiling water
6 tbsp coconut powder
8 tbsp ground almond
3 tbsp garam masala
3 tbsp rubbed methi leaves
Handful chopped fresh coriander
Salt

Bring the base gravy to a simmer. Dry roast the coriander, cumin, poppy and fennel seeds in a dry hot pan, grind and add to the turmeric, black pepper and bassar masala to make up your spice mix. Heat the oil in large pan and when smoking hot add the black cumin and mustard seeds for 10 seconds until popped then add and bhuna the spice mix for 30 seconds, gradually add the tomato passata and fry on for ten mins. Then add the yoghurt in stages - spoonful at a time so that it does not curdle. Once the yoghurt is fully incorporated add to your simmering base gravy followed by all the rest of the ingredients. Salt to taste and leave to tick over quietly with the lid on for an hour or two. Add to the freshly cooked tandoori lamb and serve garnished with fresh coriander and chilies or freeze. I can honestly say that this is the best curry that I have ever tasted - even better then the Tikka Dhansak.

Coogan 2011

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:48 PM »
Wow Coogan you don't mess about do ya - looks amazing.

Offline moonster

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Coogan,

That looks amazing. Great effort as well.

Where did you get the recipe from? Or is it your own?

Will give this a try soon

alan ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Hey Coogan,

Wow, that some Rogan Josh, looks absolutely amazing fella :o

Very timely post indeed, as I am/have been working on a Rogan Josh recipe myself. I have settled on a recipe the gives me the taste and the look but I can't really describe it as an 'Old School Rogan Josh' very tasty nonetheless.

Your version I would describe as the 'Super deluxe model' whereas mine is a 'modern' Rogan Josh.

I am definitely going to give yours a go because I am very interested in the final taste in comparison to mine.  I do know, that mine almost tastes identical to my local TA's Rogan Josh and looks the same thanks to the addition of some red food colouring.

Excellent effort Coogan, looking forward to this one mate.

Bon Josh ;D

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Wow Coogan you don't mess about do ya - looks amazing.

Cheers mate!

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 10:53 AM »

That looks amazing. Great effort as well. Where did you get the recipe from? Or is it your own?

Will give this a try soon

alan ;D

Thanks Alan,

It is my own recipe that I have developed using snippets from various recipes both from books and this site and a bit of imagination. Hope you do try it out it really is a lovely sauce.

bon jovi

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Hey Coogan,

Wow, that some Rogan Josh, looks absolutely amazing fella :o

Very timely post indeed, as I am/have been working on a Rogan Josh recipe myself. I have settled on a recipe the gives me the taste and the look but I can't really describe it as an 'Old School Rogan Josh' very tasty nonetheless. Your version I would describe as the 'Super deluxe model' whereas mine is a 'modern' Rogan Josh. I am definitely going to give yours a go because I am very interested in the final taste in comparison to mine.  I do know, that mine almost tastes identical to my local TA's Rogan Josh and looks the same thanks to the addition of some red food colouring.

;D

Hello Ray thank you for your kind words mate. I had one last night out of the freezer and it was still superb and I would say very 'old school' in taste very rich. Mrs Coogan reckoned it was definitely the dogs gonads. I hope you do try the recipe out I reckon it would go very nice with chicken tikka equally as well. I would be very interested to have a look at your recipe and compare notes.

bon rogon

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Epic currying - what are your delivery charges? :)

©2024 Curry Recipes