Author Topic: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)  (Read 63177 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 01:55 PM »
I notice you only use garlic puree and not the usual ginger/garlic mix that I see in most recipes.Adding mango chutney is another interesting ingredient....must give this a go.

I actually got a North Indian special on Friday delivered from a new place that posted me a menu.It's called the 'Elachi' in Purfleet.No idea what the place is like(it also does pizzas!!!) but the North Indian is the simply the best I've ever had.It lists among it's ingredients 'sour spices' whatever they may be but it's fantastic,you must give it go-I'd be interested to see if you can work out what gives it the extraordinary taste.

Lack of ginger was because i didn't have any garlic / ginger paste, only freshly made garlic puree.  Haven't got round to doing that just yet.  I used the mango chutney is to add a savoury sweetness which is very discernable in the dish.  It doesn't seem to be the sweetness added by normal sugar - who knows!!
As for Elachi, not had anything from there.  It's been around a while -  formerly called Station Spice.  It's  a little shack right by the railway crossing at Purfleet.  Doesn't look too salubrious but that wouldn't stop it turning out good TA nosh.  How was the curry by the way??
As for the sour spices, the only spice i can think of that has been referred to as sour is mango powder (amchoor).  Another option would be the inclusion of tamarind.  I reckon my efforts so far scores 75%.  With the addition of more precooked charred onions and peppers, half tsp of amchoor and one of tamarind concentrate i could push it a bit further :D.  Would be really interested in your feedback if you get round to having a go at the recipe. Never know, maybe it'll become a joint quest - the cracking of the North Indian Special  :o

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 03:28 PM »
Hey Curryhell,

Another great looking dish my friend.  Great to see more members providing pictures too, it gives is a good guide as to what we are aiming for.

Very well done,

Ray :)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 04:32 PM »
I notice you only use garlic puree and not the usual ginger/garlic mix that I see in most recipes.Adding mango chutney is another interesting ingredient....must give this a go.

I actually got a North Indian special on Friday delivered from a new place that posted me a menu.It's called the 'Elachi' in Purfleet.No idea what the place is like(it also does pizzas!!!) but the North Indian is the simply the best I've ever had.It lists among it's ingredients 'sour spices' whatever they may be but it's fantastic,you must give it go-I'd be interested to see if you can work out what gives it the extraordinary taste.

Lack of ginger was because i didn't have any garlic / ginger paste, only freshly made garlic puree.  Haven't got round to doing that just yet.  I used the mango chutney is to add a savoury sweetness which is very discernable in the dish.  It doesn't seem to be the sweetness added by normal sugar - who knows!!
As for Elachi, not had anything from there.  It's been around a while -  formerly called Station Spice.  It's  a little shack right by the railway crossing at Purfleet.  Doesn't look too salubrious but that wouldn't stop it turning out good TA nosh.  How was the curry by the way??
As for the sour spices, the only spice i can think of that has been referred to as sour is mango powder (amchoor).  Another option would be the inclusion of tamarind.  I reckon my efforts so far scores 75%.  With the addition of more precooked charred onions and peppers, half tsp of amchoor and one of tamarind concentrate i could push it a bit further :D.  Would be really interested in your feedback if you get round to having a go at the recipe. Never know, maybe it'll become a joint quest - the cracking of the North Indian Special  :o

Sounds good.I have mango powder and a big block of tamarind in my cupboard so I think that's next on my agenda.I can visualize where the Elachi is now,I can recall seeing a little old shack when I've gone by on the train.May not look too good but the curries are great(and portions sizes are good as well).Sometimes I find that,the place may not be posh but the food is excellent.Try the North Indian from there,it's superb.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 04:37 PM »

Sounds good.I have mango powder and a big block of tamarind in my cupboard so I think that's next on my agenda.I can visualize where the Elachi is now,I can recall seeing a little old shack when I've gone by on the train.May not look too good but the curries are great(and portions sizes are good as well).Sometimes I find that,the place may not be posh but the food is excellent.Try the North Indian from there,it's superb.

You've got it jb.  That's the place.  I'll certainly give it a go since you recommend it.  Will be good to get their take on the North Indian Special.  Think i've got a menu.  May do that tonight.  It's a toss up between dial a dinner or have another crack at it myself :-\.  Looking forward to hearing the results when you get round to trying it mate.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 04:42 PM »
Hey Curryhell,

Another great looking dish my friend.  Great to see more members providing pictures too, it gives is a good guide as to what we are aiming for.

Very well done,

Cheers for that Ray ;).  It's always good to see the end product of ones labours ;D.  The dish is still in the creation stage at the mo but i'm sure it will evolve quickly.  Jb is going to give it a go since he knows exactly  what i'm aiming for as we both have eaten the dish from the same restaurant :). Will post any update / conclusions as the experiment continues.  Maybe some other members will take up the gauntlet?

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Perhaps Curryhell they use a teaspoon or two of Chana Masala spice mix for that sour taste I use it a lot when I make a chickpea dish.

bon chana

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 09:09 PM »
Perhaps Curryhell they use a teaspoon or two of Chana Masala spice mix for that sour taste I use it a lot when I make a chickpea dish.

Thanks for that Coogan.  I haven't come across that one.  I take it it's one of those packet mixes that can be found in asian grocer stores like chaat masalla?  I make channa curry regularly using just mix powder and the normal common curry ingredients.  Maybe i need to give this a whirl to see if it makes a marked difference and improvement.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Guy's,

You could always try 1 tsp of Amchoor (ground mango) as a souring agent too!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2011, 09:50 PM »
You could always try 1 tsp of Amchoor (ground mango) as a souring agent too!

That spice is already on my radar Ray.  May go with the tamarind concentrate first ;)

I reckon my efforts so far scores 75%.  With the addition of more precooked charred onions and peppers, half tsp of amchoor and one of tamarind concentrate i could push it a bit further :D.

Look forward to further experimentation with positive results i hope 8)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Thanks for that Coogan.  I haven't come across that one.  I take it it's one of those packet mixes that can be found in asian grocer stores like chaat masalla? 

Yes it comes in a little box normally right along side the chaat masala - same packaging. I find it gives a more lemony taste then the chaat particuarly good for a chana bhaji I find.

bon masala

©2024 Curry Recipes