Author Topic: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)  (Read 63149 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)
« Reply #160 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I need to try this also, maybe over the weekend. Will need to cut the chilli powder a little as full spec is gonna blow my head off!  :o

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 13, 2012, 06:39 PM »
Hi Bob.  Look at the link below for the latest cut of the recipe.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5948.70

Spicy red onions are used which contains diluted mango chutney anyway.  So there is no need to add additional unless you want to, which you obviously wouldn't.  Make sure you use only 1 - 2 tbs of tomato paste already diluted.  My instructions in the final cut could be misinterpreted.  Diluting the chutney actually reduces the sweetness.  And no, i've never made it without.  It's like having beef without the yorkshire pud >:(  Let me know how you get on if you decide to go for it ;)

Many thanks for that Dave....

Guess I've got something to do this weekend now :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54 PM »
If either or both of you try it, i hope you enjoy.  Obviously a pic and a few words are  always appreciated.  I can't see me having time this weekend for any curry cooking.  Probably have to dial it in :D.  Reducing the chilli powder will have no drastic affect on the flavour, and will reduce the impact elsewhere ;D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2012, 07:32 PM »
Hi Bob.  Look at the link below for the latest cut of the recipe.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5948.70

Spicy red onions are used which contains diluted mango chutney anyway.  So there is no need to add additional unless you want to, which you obviously wouldn't.  Make sure you use only 1 - 2 tbs of tomato paste already diluted.  My instructions in the final cut could be misinterpreted.  Diluting the chutney actually reduces the sweetness.  And no, i've never made it without.  It's like having beef without the yorkshire pud >:(  Let me know how you get on if you decide to go for it ;)

Hi CH, your link in the post above is taking me to the top of page 2 of this thread, did you actually mean this link:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5948.msg65894#msg65894

When you say adding mango chutney is optional because it's contained in the spicey onions are you saying the 1 TBS diluted mango chutney can be omitted? I'm a bit unclear on this point.  And when you talk about dilutes mango chutney how much chutney to how much water?

Last question for now.... In the recipe you state 0.25 tamarind concentrate, but 0.25 of what? (metric tonne??!)  ;D These are a few questions I had about this recipe anyway.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Yes your link is correct.for some reason my posted link is incorrect ???. As for the chutney, when diluted it should pour very easily. If using the spicy onions as per the latest cut of the recipe, the additional tbs of chutney is optional.  The ratio for dilution will depend on the chutney you use. Re. Tamarind concentrate this should read .25tsp. Hope that clarifies yoiur queries.

EDIT - just checked my link and it takes me to page 8, just like yours ??? ??? ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:08 AM by curryhell »

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 13, 2012, 08:26 PM »
I wonder if T/A or restaurants use ketchup as an ingredient, the last time i made this dish i used C2G's red onions which is mango chutney chilli powder, red colour and kalonji seeds. Was sweet and tasty still without ketchup

W

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Yes your link is correct.for some reason my posted link is incorrect ???. As for the chutney, when diluted it should pour very easily. If using the spicy onions as per the latest cut of the recipe, the additional tbs of chutney is optional.  The ratio for dilution will depend on the chutney you use. Re. Tamarind concentrate this should read .25tsp. Hope that clarifies thor queries.

Thanks  :) Will be making this at some point over the weekend and will post pics!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2012, 11:10 AM »
I wonder if T/A or restaurants use ketchup as an ingredient, the last time i made this dish i used C2G's red onions which is mango chutney chilli powder, red colour and kalonji seeds. Was sweet and tasty still without ketchup

W
Hi W.  The spicy onions at my local from where my NIS originates definitely uses ketchup in their onions, and who knows what else :o ::) ;D

Offline wheresmyhead

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Now this looks like my kind of curry, I love mine to be hotter than the surface of the Sun   ;D

It looks like you're using Bird's Eye chillies, have you ever tried Scotch Bonnets in this curry? I think I'll use Scotch Bonnets to give the curry some extra kick and that fantastic Bonnet flavour.

©2024 Curry Recipes