Author Topic: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)  (Read 63141 times)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 10:23 AM »
 :o Flipping heck  :o

Now, I love a hot curry, but.... 4 table spoons of chilli powder + 5 chillis  :o

It does look delicious though, thanks for sharing your recipe and posting the great pics.

Cheers

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 11:22 PM »
:o Flipping heck  :o

Now, I love a hot curry, but.... 4 table spoons of chilli powder + 5 chillis  :o

It does look delicious though, thanks for sharing your recipe and posting the great pics.

Cheers

What i didn't include in the recipe was a heaped tsp of fried dried red chillis which i'd also blended to give it something a little bit more oomph ;D;D;D;D.  It's lurking in the jar next to the jar of garlic puree in the first pic.  Not for the faint hearted though :o

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:21 PM »
I actually got a North Indian special on Friday delivered from a new place that posted me a menu.It's called the 'Elachi' in Purfleet.No idea what the place is like(it also does pizzas!!!) but the North Indian is the simply the best I've ever had.It lists among it's ingredients 'sour spices' whatever they may be but it's fantastic,you must give it go-I'd be interested to see if you can work out what gives it the extraordinary taste.

JB Tried the North Indian from the Elachi with special rice and saag bahji.  Rice was very nice -heavy on the peas and had quite a lot of onion in it.  The saag however was at best average and very wet.  Would not recommend that.  NI was nice but very tame on heat for my liking.  Chef probably being a bit over cautious as I'd asked for it phall strength ;D.  Most restaurants seem a bit reluctant to ramp it up  unless they know their customers.  I still rate Spices NI better though.  The Elachi version was over done with the red food colouring.  Taste wise very similar - that rich oniony / peppery taste with a hint of savoury sweetness (but not sickly) with a souring edge to it.
Anyway the quest continued tonight.  Made a couple of changes (all in red)f to quantities included tamarind concentrate, whole chillis and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic.  I opted for tamarind as the souring agent first rather than using amchoor powder.  That may be the next step.  Recipe update posted below.  Looking forward to feedback from anybody that has given this a go ;) or any thoughts on improving it.

main dish
- portion of chicken tikka  ( i always use Blade's recipe - tikka par excellence!!)

- 2 tsp fresh pureed garlic
- 2 cloves of garlic roughly diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (already diluted 50/50)
- 300ml curry base (CA's)
- 2 tsp spice mix (CA's)
- 2 tbsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp tandoori masala  (my own blend but any will do)
- 0.5 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 3 tsp pureed mango chutney
- small tomato halved
- 0.5 tsp of tamarind concentrate
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
- 5 whole chillies

The chopped garlic was added with the garlic puree and the tamarind was added with the APS and mango chutney and small tomato halved.

Conclusions were that the tamarind definitely added a pleasant depth of sourness, not the acidic

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Made this last night and it was lovely. Nice taste and a good amount of heat! It reminded me somewhat of a Pathia - quite sweet and sour.

Anyway, here's a pic.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I actually got a North Indian special on Friday delivered from a new place that posted me a menu.It's called the 'Elachi' in Purfleet.No idea what the place is like(it also does pizzas!!!) but the North Indian is the simply the best I've ever had.It lists among it's ingredients 'sour spices' whatever they may be but it's fantastic,you must give it go-I'd be interested to see if you can work out what gives it the extraordinary taste.

JB Tried the North Indian from the Elachi with special rice and saag bahji.  Rice was very nice -heavy on the peas and had quite a lot of onion in it.  The saag however was at best average and very wet.  Would not recommend that.  NI was nice but very tame on heat for my liking.  Chef probably being a bit over cautious as I'd asked for it phall strength ;D.  Most restaurants seem a bit reluctant to ramp it up  unless they know their customers.  I still rate Spices NI better though.  The Elachi version was over done with the red food colouring.  Taste wise very similar - that rich oniony / peppery taste with a hint of savoury sweetness (but not sickly) with a souring edge to it.
Anyway the quest continued tonight.  Made a couple of changes (all in red)f to quantities included tamarind concentrate, whole chillis and a couple of cloves of chopped garlic.  I opted for tamarind as the souring agent first rather than using amchoor powder.  That may be the next step.  Recipe update posted below.  Looking forward to feedback from anybody that has given this a go ;) or any thoughts on improving it.

main dish
- portion of chicken tikka  ( i always use Blade's recipe - tikka par excellence!!)

- 2 tsp fresh pureed garlic
- 2 cloves of garlic roughly diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (already diluted 50/50)
- 300ml curry base (CA's)
- 2 tsp spice mix (CA's)
- 2 tbsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tsp tandoori masala  (my own blend but any will do)
- 0.5 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 3 tsp pureed mango chutney
- small tomato halved
- 0.5 tsp of tamarind concentrate
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
- 5 whole chillies

The chopped garlic was added with the garlic puree and the tamarind was added with the APS and mango chutney and small tomato halved.

Conclusions were that the tamarind definitely added a pleasant depth of sourness, not the acidic

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Made this last night and it was lovely. Nice taste and a good amount of heat! It reminded me somewhat of a Pathia - quite sweet and sour.

Anyway, here's a pic.

That looks lovely!!! :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Sorry Curryhell, yes it's green pepper, that will teach me for not reading the whole post first :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Sorry Curryhell, yes it's green pepper, that will teach me for not reading the whole post first :)

;D ;D ;D. How many time are we all guilty of that 976bar !!!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18 AM »

;D ;D ;D. How many time are we all guilty of that 976bar !!!

I just looked a the dish and fell in love with it, so why read the rest!!  ;D ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 10:30 AM »

Anyway, here's a pic.

Hi Ramirez.  Many thanks for giving it a go.  Glad you liked it  :).  Your pictures certainly have done it justice.  I almost tried to spoon it off the screen  ;D. 
I've only ever tried a spoonfull of pathia sauce and that was a long while ago so i can't compare.  Maybe that's the next dish i should try as i have started to diversify from phall and vindaloo at home over the last few weeks. Not sure what has come over me all  of a sudden :-\ :o ;D.
But thinking about it hot sweet and sour certainly are the typical pathia characteristics that feature on most menu descriptions of the dish and this dish certainly has all of those. Maybe i need to do a side by side comparison to check on the differences.  Do you know of a good pathia recipe i can compare it against?  I still have some work to do on this dish to hone it closer to the dish served by my local favourite BIR though :-\
But it is nice to know someone else has taken the trouble to cook it and enjoyed it.  Thanks again :D

©2024 Curry Recipes