Author Topic: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)  (Read 62576 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:56 PM »
I've been eating phalls and vindaloos for more years that i care to remember.  Whilst at one of my favourite restaurants a few months back the manager said i should try something different for a change but with added heat to my liking of course.  I agreed and he chose the North Indian Special.  I can say that  i haven't looked back since. Whenever  i dine in there now, it's my dish of choice.  Anyway, having some time on my hands today for a change, i thought I'd have a crack at creating something similar and share the results on the site.  I must say thanks to CA because his vindaloo recipe provided the starting point for today's experiment ;D.  I still need to make a couple of minor tweeks but this is pretty close.

Ingredients:

pre-cooked onions
- quarter of a large onion broken into its layers
- quarter of red or green pepper roughly chopped
- 3 chef spoons of oil (reduce to 2 if using base with high oil content ie. Taz's base)
- half tsp of fresh pureed garlic
- half tsp of mix powder

main dish
- portion of chicken tikka  ( i always use Blade's recipe - tikka par excellence!!)

- 2 tsp fresh pureed garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (already diluted 50/50)
- 300ml curry base (CA's)
- 2 tsp spice mix (CA's)
- 4 tbsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 0.25 tsp tandoori masala  (my own blend but any will do)
- 0.5 tsp all purpose seasoning
- 3 tsp pureed mango chutney
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)
- 5 fresh chillies (finely chopped)

Method:

- Heat oil in suitable pan
- Add half tsp garlic puree and fry for one minute
- Add half tsp of mix and fry for about 10 - 15 seconds
- Add onions and peppers
- Cook on low heat for 15 to 20 mins until soft
- Remove onions and peppers and put to one side and leave the spiced oil in the pan for the next stage
- increase the heat to medium and add 2 tsp of garlic puree  to the spiced oil and fry for a minute with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add the mix spice, chilli and tandoori masala and chopped chillis
- return to heat and stir fry for 30 seconds continually stirring it
-  add tomato puree and  stir in and cook for about 30 seconds or so (do not burn!)
- Add a ladle of curry base and stir
- Continue to add the curry base, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Add all purpose seasoning, mango chutney and lemon juice and stir in
- now add chicken tikka and precooked onions and peppers
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes)
- Add fresh coriander to taste

I hope someone tries it and enjoys it as much as i do.  Off to the pub now and looking forward to my supper when i get home later ;D

« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:59 AM by curryhell »

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian Special (vindaloo strength)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Thanks for sharing the recipe that looks like one hell of a hot dish :o would certainly need to tone down the chilli for my taste but another to add to the list.
Thanks

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:56 AM »
Final dish looks lovely and it's right up there with how hot I often like them. Will give this a go at some point.

Is the amount of oil correct - 3 chef spoons (12 tbsp)?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing the recipe that looks like one hell of a hot dish :o would certainly need to tone down the chilli for my taste but another to add to the list.
Thanks

Matt, you can obviously vary the chilli powder / fresh chilli content to your own taste :D.  I am told by others who eat the dish, without the added "ramp up" of chilli for myself, that it is very tasty :P.  I will update the recipe with any tweeks that i make to improve it.  Hope you enjoy it as you work your way down that "must try" list that all us curry addicts have ;D.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Final dish looks lovely and it's right up there with how hot I often like them. Will give this a go at some point.

Is the amount of oil correct - 3 chef spoons (12 tbsp)?

Hi Ramirez.  I find it very pleasing to be among people who share the same passion and addiction for chilli and hot curries 8).  All my friends think I'm absolutely barmy and have no taste buds whatsoever.  That even extends to restaurant staff too :o.  I just can't understand them myself nor see what the problem is;D. 
Three chef spoons is the amount i used Ramirez as some will be lost to the dish until the onions are added back in and in view of the amount of combined spices that are fried off.  I would reduce this amount if you are using an oil laden base like Taz's.  In light of this I have updated the recipe.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Looks spot on Curryhell.I take it you're trying to emulate the dish from Spices Restaurant???  They do make it spot on I have to say although next time I'll ask for vindaloo strength,think I'll have to have a go at your version and see how it compares.

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 10:44 AM »
Hello curryhell, That does look very hot and nice indeed especially like the idea of the twice cooked peppers and onion. I reckon they would be nice dry roasted and charred a bit then added to the dish.

Bon dish

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Looks spot on Curryhell.I take it you're trying to emulate the dish from Spices Restaurant???  They do make it spot on I have to say although next time I'll ask for vindaloo strength,think I'll have to have a go at your version and see how it compares.

Hi Jb.  You guessed right mate. It's Spice's dish I'm trying to emulate.  My observations after cooking it  yesterday, probably clouded by having been exposed to the whole cooking process which kind of blunts the olfactory senses, but not nearly as much as half a dozen bottles of Leffe did though ;D, i need to add additional pre cooked diced onions as well as the slivers of onion.  One or two whole chillis would not go a miss either.  I may also up the chutney and lemon content a tad as well.  Would be good to get a direct comparison from someone who is familiar with dish and any suggestions for future improvement.  It is one hell of a tasty dish :o

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 12:06 PM »
Hello curryhell, That does look very hot and nice indeed especially like the idea of the twice cooked peppers and onion. I reckon they would be nice dry roasted and charred a bit then added to the dish.

Bon dish

I will difinitely hold that thought for a moment.   Now, come to think of it Coogan, there was definitely some charring going on with both the onion slivers and the peppers.  I'll have to work on that one me thinks ::)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 12:59 PM »

Hi Jb.  You guessed right mate. It's Spice's dish I'm trying to emulate.  My observations after cooking it  yesterday, probably clouded by having been exposed to the whole cooking process which kind of blunts the olfactory senses, but not nearly as much as half a dozen bottles of Leffe did though ;D, i need to add additional pre cooked diced onions as well as the slivers of onion.  One or two whole chillis would not go a miss either.  I may also up the chutney and lemon content a tad as well.  Would be good to get a direct comparison from someone who is familiar with dish and any suggestions for future improvement.  It is one hell of a tasty dish :o

I notice you only use garlic puree and not the usual ginger/garlic mix that I see in most recipes.Adding mango chutney is another interesting ingredient....must give this a go.

I actually got a North Indian special on Friday delivered from a new place that posted me a menu.It's called the 'Elachi' in Purfleet.No idea what the place is like(it also does pizzas!!!) but the North Indian is the simply the best I've ever had.It lists among it's ingredients 'sour spices' whatever they may be but it's fantastic,you must give it go-I'd be interested to see if you can work out what gives it the extraordinary taste.

©2024 Curry Recipes