Author Topic: Rogan Josh by Razor  (Read 108743 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Rogan Josh by Razor
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 09:08 PM »
I can only think that my own exposure to Rogan Josh was so long ago, and therefore well before I developed any real sensitivity to the ingredients of a curry at all, that I completely failed to take in whether it was a one-part or a two-part dish. Certainly I have no recollections of it being a two-parter; rather, it was a heavy, red, lamb-based curry, tending (but not reaching) towards bhoona in terms of dryness.  It never made any real impression on me, and after one or two tries I simply sidelined it.   But a web search fails to throw up any references to it being a two-part dish : is this a recent phenomenon, I must ask ?

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Hi

My favourite rogan josh from my local is a two part curry withe the first curry a standard affair with the second part a sweet red colour moreish mix which i have found hard to replicate

barry

Yes that's the sort of thing I'd like to try. Any idea at all what it is?

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 09:13 PM »
Quote from: Phil [Chaa006
But a web search fails to throw up any references to it being a two-part dish : is this a recent phenomenon, I must ask ?

** Phil.

I get the impression it's made its way down from Scotland. I'd really like to get a recipe for the topping just to see what it's like.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 09:24 PM »
I can only think that my own exposure to Rogan Josh was so long ago, and therefore well before I developed any real sensitivity to the ingredients of a curry at all, that I completely failed to take in whether it was a one-part or a two-part dish. Certainly I have no recollections of it being a two-parter; rather, it was a heavy, red, lamb-based curry, tending (but not reaching) towards bhoona in terms of dryness.  It never made any real impression on me, and after one or two tries I simply sidelined it.   But a web search fails to throw up any references to it being a two-part dish : is this a recent phenomenon, I must ask ?

** Phil.

I have to admit, that I have the same opinion, I have never had a Rogan Josh anywhere that I would readily add to my list of something to try when I visit a restaurant, but having read different reports here, it makes me wonder whether I have had a Rogan Josh that would equal other dishes that I would go for.....

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 09:26 PM »
I just found this from the Kushi balti book posted by Razor (I've even got the book, d'oh!):

Step Two:

2 tsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 tsp kushi spice http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4296.0
1 whole tomato, chopped

Now that sounds more like what I was trying to emulate (just based on how it will look). So it's principally a sort of onion/tomato tarka. When I get around to trying Razor's RJ I'm going to try it.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 11:25 PM »
I get the impression it's made its way down from Scotland. I'd really like to get a recipe for the topping just to see what it's like.

This is frequently blended & added as a paste in RJ's in Glasgow. "moreish" is right!. A key part of the what people call the Glasgow taste is coconut, both in the base & in pastes. when it all comes together it produces a moreish taste thats quite hard to figure out

ELW

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2012, 05:51 AM »
I just found this from the Kushi balti book posted by Razor (I've even got the book, d'oh!):

Step Two:

2 tsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 tsp kushi spice http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4296.0
1 whole tomato, chopped

Now that sounds more like what I was trying to emulate (just based on how it will look). So it's principally a sort of onion/tomato tarka. When I get around to trying Razor's RJ I'm going to try it.

Thanks for posting this SS, I am also going to try it all together now.

Sorry Ray, I wasn't knocking your recipe in any way, it's just that I have never had a decent RJ to make me think of one, and maybe I should have tried your recipe first before commenting, which I will do now both with and without the additions on top :)

Hope your keeping well by the way :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34 AM »
It just goes to show how times change and how regions vary.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's, in Manchester,  my second favourite curry (after Dhansak) was a RJ. I have no idea whether it was a one or two part dish, I just know it was absolutely bloody gorgeous back in the day. 

I have ordered RJ's in this part of the world, and they are slops. I was also very disappointed last time we were back in UK 3 years ago. I tried 5 or 6 RJ's and they were all less than average.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2012, 01:06 PM »
I was also very disappointed last time we were back in UK 3 years ago. I tried 5 or 6 RJ's and they were all less than average.

Par for the course now mate, it's not just the RJs.  :'(

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2012, 02:21 PM »
This is frequently blended & added as a paste in RJ's in Glasgow. "moreish" is right!. A key part of the what people call the Glasgow taste is coconut, both in the base & in pastes. when it all comes together it produces a moreish taste thats quite hard to figure out
ELW

This all seems a bit odd to me, is this your theory or do you have first hand knowledge of this.
???
____________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, not to detract from Ray's RJ recipe, but I'm amazed BIR Roghan Josh isn't covered much on CR0

Bengali Restaurant Rogan Josh is a 2 stage dish or a combined curry.

(Circa 1970's) and still the same today here in Geordieland.
First they make a dopiaza with added precooked chunky onions and put it in the serving dish.
Second, they quickly make a stir fry topping of caramelised tomatoes and onion.

Method = Hot Wok, oil or ghee in, touch of G&G, touch of mixed powder and tomato puree dilute
more onion, (thin sliced lengthways), a tomato cut into wedges or Cherry Tomatoes (2012 Style)
1tbs of sugar.
Flash fry this vigorously to caramelise the onion and tomato, add a chefs spoon of base sauce to combine and finish.

Add the topping onto the Dopiaza and you have a Rogan Josh.

The Chef that taught me this dish, used to call it The Dream Topping, probably
because of the moreish flavour of sweet caramelised tomatoes and onion.

Hope you can follow this , Cheers Chewy

p.s. I might do a video of this when I get the time.

©2024 Curry Recipes