Author Topic: Rogan Josh by Razor  (Read 108829 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rogan Josh by Razor
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2012, 09:01 PM »
I'm gonna make this again for my mrs this weekend
if its as good as the last time I made it...I'll be in bed early..nudge nudge wink wink :)

Way hey, well done that man ;D

Ray :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2012, 09:47 PM »
Well i' glad we're past the watershed ;D

Offline CardiffCurrylad

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Wow, just cooked this RJ and what a dish. Packed with flavour! I will be cooking this one again for sure. It's a thumbs up from me  ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Hi CCL,

Well done mate and glad you enjoyed it :D

Offline Smoothound

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58 AM »
Hi Smoothound, and many thanks for an honest assessment of my RJ.

So anyway, the one last night I followed the recipe to the letter and it wasn't quite as good.  I think it missed the tom puree and extra sweetness.

This could be for a few of reasons

1) My base isn't quite as tasty as Razors
2) My tomatoes aren't very good
3) My local BIR do it with tom puree and sugar

To try to offer a few answers to your theories;

1) I don't actually use my own base sauce in this recipe, much preferring to use Chewy's 3 hr base because of it's 'BIR' sweetness.  Which base sauce and spice mix did you use if you don't mind me asking mate?

2) When ever I cook this, I always use very ripe, red tomatoes.  Obviously, this ensures that they are quite sweet, and breakdown in the sauce perfectly.

3) I wouldn't doubt for a minute that your local BIR does use tom puree, although I'm not so sure about sugar?  I've been trying for a long time to get rid of sugar in my BIR cooking, but still get a lovely sweetness in the dishes.  I think that Chewy's base goes a very long way in helping me with this, and is why I use it as standard these days.

Very pleased that you tried the dish and tweaked it to suit your taste....that, is what it's all about in my opinion!

Well done mate, and many thanks,

Cheers Ray,

I'm using Chewy's base and spice mix too.  (when I said your base, I meant the base that you had made, rather than mine, sorry for the confusion ???)

I made it again this week.  This time I used lots of fresh ripe tomatoes and cooked them right down, it still needed a good tablespoon of puree and a touch of sugar - but this was with the same batch of base from before.

I'm about to make another batch of Chewy's base, so I'm going to took it much longer and see if that brings out any more sweetness!

Fingers crossed!  ;)

Offline dopple

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2012, 02:01 PM »
I have tried this on 3 occasions now. For some reason I always get a very sweet taste from the curry. It goes down well with the family but I am wondering which spice I might be over-doing it on?

I follow the recipe, 3 cardamom pods, 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf and 40cm of cinnamon.

Any ideas?

I have made a few recipes and for those in my family who are not fans of hot currys, this was by far their favorite. If I can sort out this sweetness issue then it will be mine too!  ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I have tried this on 3 occasions now. For some reason I always get a very sweet taste from the curry. It goes down well with the family but I am wondering which spice I might be over-doing it on?

I follow the recipe, 3 cardamom pods, 3 cloves, 1 bay leaf and 40cm of cinnamon.

Any ideas?

I have made a few recipes and for those in my family who are not fans of hot currys, this was by far their favorite. If I can sort out this sweetness issue then it will be mine too!  ;D

If those are the options then it's the cinnamon. Just try sucking on a piece. I'm assuming the "40cm of cinnamon" is a typo, else it's definitely the cinnamon!  ;D

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2012, 08:31 AM »
Hi Dopple and SS,

Yes 40cm of cinnamon is a hell of a lot :o you should be using 40mm.  Of course red pepper is quite sweet and I think chewy's base gravy is quite sweet too so they could also be the culprits.  Maybe you could try a squeeze of lemon to offset the sweetness but I would think that that would move you away from a typical RJ as I know it?

Thanks for trying it though,

Offline djreaper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2012, 10:24 PM »
Hi Razor, I've cooked this tonight and having read the posts above will add some of my own comments when using CA's base (I'd made this the other day so didnt want to start a new one).

I made 3 portions of your mix:

- 1000ml CA's Base
- Chicken Tikka using mix (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4844.0)
- ADDED: 6 tsp Sugar
- ADDED: 3 tsp Garam Masala
- ADDED: 400g Tin Tomatoes
- ADDED: 3 tbsp tom puree
- ADDED: 3 tsp Cayenne Pepper (may be controversial, but i find it gives it a nicer heat to mix the chilli and Cayenne)

Thanks for sharing your recipe, I will definitely come back to this one!

Offline djreaper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Tried to post pics but cant :(

Forgot to mention, I cooked this using spiced oil (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.msg34202#msg34202) rather than standard

©2024 Curry Recipes