Author Topic: Rogan Josh by Razor  (Read 107598 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rogan Josh by Razor
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Hi Guy's,

Many thanks to all that have give this one a go. I'm also happy that, even though many of you think that it is nothing like an RJ of old, some of you think that it's still a nice curry.

SS,

Did you try Chewy's 'tarka' topping?

Ray  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 28, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Did you try Chewy's 'tarka' topping?

Well, I started off intending to do the full curry-like topping but only got as far as adding onions, garlic, and fresh tomatoes. By the time I'd really cooked it down at full heat, in spiced oil, it was so savoury and moreish I didn't want to ruin it by adding base sauce and mix powder. I just plonked it on top of the RJ and it was bloody lovely - well, what was left of it after I kept nibbling at it while cooking the curry!  ;D

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 28, 2013, 11:55 AM »
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,118.0.html

hi guys check out this thread from the early days of cr0. petes visit to Bengal Cuisine in brick lane and a recipe for prawn rogan josh. a great read and a you could imagine the buzz of 1 of the first insiders of an indian restaurant kitchen. ;)
i doubt that many of you would even have gone back that far in mean it was 8 years ago but a real diamond and pete was a real inspiration as he was always getting sum brilliant demos and his reports were great too! but you will have to search the threads as the recipies and methods are in there and you might miss them!

regards
gary :) :)

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2013, 12:05 PM »
you could also checkout bruce edwards curryhouse cookery as there is a rogan josh sauce which is used with base sauce as well again a 2 pan method as with the above thread. link here (altho i love the original post but nothing wrong with this pdf version  ;D)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2739.0.html

regards
gary

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11 PM »
i doubt that many of you would even have gone back that far in mean it was 8 years ago but a real diamond and pete was a real inspiration

Some of us go back to the beginning of the forum!  ;)

And you're right Pete has been a real strength on this forum, always prepared to go the extra mile for his art.

Offline bluebalti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43 PM »
My first attempt at this tonight, albeit a veg version, done for Mrs BB and the 2 kids, in conjunction with Chewy's Chicken madras.

Mrs BB well impressed, plenty of heat but she suggested putting the toms in later and adding a bit more cauliflower.. all told she gave it a 7/10 (in t/away terms) so all is good.

What was good is that there was a noticeable difference in the sauces of the 2 dishes. Now to you lot this sounds mundane but when I've been invited to 'curry nights' at mates' houses, it's basically all tasted the same, so it was a massive confidence boost to see the difference even though I used Chewy's gravy for both.

So, thanks to Razor for the recipe, pics and the like, well happy with the result.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Spurred on by the 3rd recipe test, I remembered that I had taken note of Razor's version of Rogan Josh a good while ago without actually trying it out, so I made it for dinner tonight.

I had to leave out the chilli powder and the chilli/coriander paste (although I whizzed some up this morning!) as my good lady wife was sharing the meal, but, despite the omissions, it was absolutely delicious! :)

I've noted down Chewy's video recipe, so that'll be next on the agenda, but tonight my thanks go to Razor for posting this recipe (and for all his other culinary contributions) - it was well worth doing and it's definitely a keeper. 8)

Online Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41 AM »
I had to leave out the chilli powder and the chilli/coriander paste (although I whizzed some up this morning!) as my good lady wife was sharing the meal, but, despite the omissions, it was absolutely delicious! :)

If you get the chance, I would recommend trying it again with the inclusion of the chili/coriander puree. I hadn't used anything similar previous to this recipe (I know it originated from Chewy), but the smell released after adding the puree to the pan is fantastic. It definitely adds something.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2013, 09:53 AM »
If you get the chance, I would recommend trying it again with the inclusion of the chili/coriander puree...

Fear not! My wife is currently in intensive training to raise her heat tolerance, but its a slow process! I'll probably make some more to proper spec today or tomorrow while she's devouring her baked sea bass with roasted garlic. :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Many thanks to Naga and Bluebalti for giving my RJ a try, glad you enjoyed it fellas :D

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes