Author Topic: New to this forum, worked in Indian Restaurant Kitchen  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: New to this forum, worked in Indian Restaurant Kitchen
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28 PM »
welcome to the forum Sharps - am gonna ask a different question here - how did you find the forum?

regards

Steve

Offline hampshire hog

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 12:49 PM »
Hi Sharps - welcome - looking at your avitar anything to do with Sharps Bewery at Rock Cornwall???

Mighty fine establishment and I can't remember any thing about my last vist there!!!!!

Offline sharps

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Welcome aboard Sharpy it's a great ship hope you can offer up some more tips - plenty of good stuff on here that could help you as well. By the way I must ask a question that has been niggling me for ages did you ever see tins of tomato soup being used by any of the chefs?

Bon post

Nope, can't ever recall tomato soup being used.

Offline sharps

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:39 PM »
welcome to the forum Sharps - am gonna ask a different question here - how did you find the forum?

regards

Steve

Was just surfing and stumbled upon the site

Offline sharps

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Hi Sharps - welcome - looking at your avitar anything to do with Sharps Bewery at Rock Cornwall???

Mighty fine establishment and I can't remember any thing about my last vist there!!!!!

I wish! I'm a drummer and my nickname has always been Sharps (it's an "in" joke and is the opposite to Flats)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 01:51 PM »
welcome matey

This sounds very promising!   ;D

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 04:43 PM »
Hi all!
Well, what a lovely warm welcome from you all, thanks! The restaurant I worked in is sadly long gone. I'm pretty sure that the owner was from east Bengal. One of the many things that have stuck with me over the years is that his cooks would NEVER use pineapple in a Dhansak, they would only ever use jaggery as the sweetener. It really does make all the difference. Also, I learnt that the length of time bhuna-ing spices in any dish is critical because of the variation in the rate of release of the different essential oils. The old boys doing the cooking (and they were all 60+) just knew by instinct "how much, when and for how long". It was like alchemy!

I only ever use Jaggery to sweeten a dish as well, and the way to do this is to put it in a saucepan on the hob and let it melt and then caramalise it. You could do this the same way with sugar as well, it not only sweetens the dish but it also gives it a more smokey/burnt taste depending on how long you let it caramalise for :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 04:47 PM »
Sorry Sharps!!

Also welcome to the forum, you'll find everything you need here, but judging from your background, I think you'll be contributing quite a bit as well :)

By the way, I used to play Bass Guitar back in my hay days and was in a local band, which never got anywhere which was a bit disapointing. When at school I was in the school band and used to play nearly every brass instrument going :)

Happy Currying!! :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22 PM »
I'm a drummer and my nickname has always been Sharps (it's an "in" joke and is the opposite to Flats)

a drummer talking about sharps and flats? I always thought the definition of a drummer was someone who hangs around with musicians?
 ::)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:51 AM »

It's a shame sharps have been bought by Coors let's hope their beers remain as good (not hopeful though)

Welcome to the forum Sharps :)

©2024 Curry Recipes