Author Topic: ?The BIR style wagon?  (Read 142655 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: ?The BIR style wagon?
« Reply #290 on: February 11, 2012, 02:17 PM »
I also thought this base was a bit hot on it's own due to inclusion of fresh chillis. It wasn't a problem for me as I don't make kormas or anything else really mild. Just an observation. The curries I made with this base were very tasty.

Paul

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2012, 01:52 PM »
@curryhell,good to hear you're making the advanced gravy.
Could you report back with your  opinion of the new base please,as i'm really looking forward to making it for myself.
It's the next base on my agenda ,just have to finish off my remaining.
Happy weekend.
All done and just bagging it up now.  It's been chilling since sat due to a hectic schedule.  Won't have time to try it until Wednesday eve.  It has a different taste from the basic gravy and obviously the tomato flavours are more evident given the additonal ingredients.  It wasn't to keen to give up much oil in spite of the fact i diluted it real well and boiled the s***e out of it ;D.  I've no doubt it will produce as good if not better results than Abdul's basic gravy and look forward to sampling the results.  This recipe when thinned to the correct consistancy provided 21 portions of 350ml.  Enough to keep me in NIS and brinjal bhaji for a little while  ;). Here's a few pics taken during my Sat afternoon:

Basic ingredients cooked

And blended up

In with the garlic / ginger puree

Lets now add the pureed plum tomatoes

bit of mix powder, tumeric and tomato puree

cook it for a bit and add in the precooked base and 3 pints of water

Just off the boil with oil clearly visible

the finished article ready for use having added additonal water to bring it to correct consistancy

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:00 PM by curryhell »

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2012, 05:49 PM »
@curryhell,good to hear you're making the advanced gravy.
Could you report back with your  opinion of the new base please,as i'm really looking forward to making it for myself.
It's the next base on my agenda ,just have to finish off my remaining.
Happy weekend.
All done and just bagging it up now.  It's been chilling since sat due to a hectic schedule.  Won't have time to try it until Wednesday eve.  It has a different taste from the basic gravy and obviously the tomato flavours are more evident given the additonal ingredients.  It wasn't to keen to give up much oil in spite of the fact i diluted it real well and boiled the s***e out of it ;D.  I've no doubt it will produce as good if not better results than Abdul's basic gravy and look forward to sampling the results.  This recipe when thinned to the correct consistancy provided 21 portions of 350ml.  Enough to keep me in NIS and brinjal bhaji for a little while  ;). Here's a few pics taken during my Sat afternoon:

Basic ingredients cooked

And blended up

In with the garlic / ginger puree

Lets now add the pureed plum tomatoes

bit of mix powder, tumeric and tomato puree

cook it for a bit and add in the precooked base and 3 pints of water

Just off the boil with oil clearly visible

the finished article ready for use having added additonal water to bring it to correct consistancy

Hi Curryhell,

The gravy looks fantastic and I am sure you will have a very pleasing result when you make your dishes using this gravy!!!!!!!!

Abdul

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Hi all,
Just having my 1st attempt at this base so a quick question.   Is it worth doing the enhanced version (the gravy is just cooling down before blending) so need to know whether to bother or not.

thanks

Will

edited because I never read all the posts ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:40 PM by Willyeckerslike »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 10, 2012, 02:51 PM »
The unenhanced gravy work very well.   The enhanced has a more complex flavour.  As for the water content,  I would add the suggested amount but once it's come off the boil DO NOT top up or thin any more.  Use it at that consistency and add water if you need to during dish cooking.  I added water after the boil to replace what was lost and get to my usual consistancy (my mistake as this isn't in the recipe >:(). I found it took an awful lot of reduction and cooking to get the final dish somewhere near to how i like it.  I normally achieve the thickish consistency i like a lot quicker with all other bases i have made.  I'll remember this next time.  Hope this helps.  Let us know how you get on

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 10, 2012, 02:55 PM »
thanks curryhell, i edited the post after reading/seeing your pics

cheers

Will

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 10, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Hi,

I made the Ceylon for the Mrs & the Madras for me.  The Mrs liked the Ceylon & I liked the Madras but it was very, very "tomatoey" in flavour, don't get me wrong, not in a bad way :), just very different to what we are used to, it could be a regional thing, it could be my cooking.  I have got a few litres of base left to freeze when it cools so I will try again with the Madras & Ceylon but might try some others too.

thanks for the posts Abdul, very much appreciated :)

Will

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2012, 03:26 AM »
Thank you Curryhell. 
I must've missed  your earlier post,but have now been brought up to date. 
I just this evening made a batch of CA's base gravy. 
The missus keeps pestering me for a korma,and having only abdulmohed's base in the freezer(which is 6 chillies too hot for a  Korma IMO),,i gave in and made a different batch. 
I must say I'm quite looking forward to making a Korma, and maybe in the week Ca's Chicken Bhoona. 
 *I say 'Chicken',but really  we're all vegetarians,so i  substitute with whatever's on hand,be it- Quorn,Tofu,Paneer or abdulmohed's  Pre cooked mixed vegetables  ( recipe which is fantastic, and i believe is on  page 9 of this thread)

So i shall be giving the enhanced base a go in a few weeks and will follow the recipe to the letter. 
Looks the business btw.
All the best.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:06 AM by Wickerman »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Thank you Curryhell. 
I must've missed  your earlier post,but have now been brought up to date. 
I just this evening made a batch of CA's base gravy. 
The missus keeps pestering me for a korma,and having only abdulmohed's base in the freezer(which is 6 chillies too hot for a  Korma IMO),,i gave in and made a different batch. 
I must say I'm quite looking forward to making a Korma, and maybe in the week Ca's Chicken Bhoona. 
 *I say 'Chicken',but really  we're all vegetarians,so i  substitute with whatever's on hand,be it- Quorn,Tofu,Paneer or abdulmohed's  Pre cooked mixed vegetables  ( recipe which is fantastic, and i believe is on  page 9 of this thread)

So i shall be giving the enhanced base a go in a few weeks and will follow the recipe to the letter. 
Looks the business btw.
All the best.
I've got Abdul's enhanced and the Zaal base in the freezer at the moment so i've two to choose from.  Personally, i never add chilli powder or fresh chilli to any base nor mix powder for that matter.  It avoids the situation in which you found yourself ;D.  I can always add heat / chilli flavour but i can't take it out ::)
I would definitely follow the instructions to the letter.  See my comments earlier where i thinned the gravy.  By the time i've got the curry to my preferred consistency, i've a lot less sauce that i would normally have >:(.  I will make Abdul's madras with this gravy, having made it a few time as a midweek curry and post the results.  This will give me a good idea of how it compares to the original base and whether i too have a strong tomatoey influence like Wilyeckerslike seems to have ???

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Hi
I am happy that it turned out so well! I hope other members will also give it a go and share their experience.
100 naan recipe; again it is not written down, once I have then I will post if you like. Mind you if you do make an attempt without training it will be difficult for you to make it come out right.

Abdul

Hi Abdul

Sorry to be a pain, but I would still be very interested in trying your naan recipe

Best Regards

Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes