Author Topic: ?The BIR style wagon?  (Read 142778 times)

Offline timeless

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: ?The BIR style wagon?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 06:16 PM »
Just ordered the book

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2011, 05:14 PM »

When will part 2 be available?

Just one thing, when I've had a chicken ceylon in the uk they have tasted like a madras with coconut and sometimes even hotter than a madras. I thought Celyon (now Sri Lanka of course) had a reputation for hot spicy food.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Volume 2 will hopefully be available christmas 2012 as yet we still have many volume 1 books to sell.

Ceylon is a coconut flavoured curry, with a touch of hotness so it should be less than a madras. Some chefs however do like to add extra chilli to the dish. Normally it would be hot only if you ask for it.

Thank you,

Abdul

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2011, 05:25 PM »

Hi Paul,

Volume 2 will hopefully be available christmas 2012 as yet we still have many volume 1 books to sell.

Ceylon is a coconut flavoured curry, with a touch of hotness so it should be less than a madras. Some chefs however do like to add extra chilli to the dish. Normally it would be hot only if you ask for it.

Thank you,

Abdul
[/quote]

Hi Abdul,

And many thanks for sending me the book. I am a bit complexed however, that you have put a "Lamb Curry, on the bone" recipe on page 26, and then exactly the same recipe on page 28, but called it, "Meat Curry on the bone". Surely you could have substituted one of the recipes with something else, like a Bhuna for instance?........

Regards,

Bob

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2011, 05:43 PM »

Hi Abdul,

And many thanks for sending me the book. I am a bit complexed however, that you have put a "Lamb Curry, on the bone" recipe on page 26, and then exactly the same recipe on page 28, but called it, "Meat Curry on the bone". Surely you could have substituted one of the recipes with something else, like a Bhuna for instance?........

Regards,

Bob

Hi Paul,

The reason why I seperated the two dishes is because they are both favourable dishes in traditional bangladeshi cuisine. That is why I felt that I should keep the dishes seperate. Please do cook them and hopefully you will experience the differences.

Thank you,

Abdul

Offline daveyham

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2011, 09:13 PM »

Hi Abdul,

Regards,

Bob

Hi Paul,

The reason why I seperated the two dishes is because they are both favourable dishes in traditional bangladeshi cuisine. That is why I felt that I should keep the dishes seperate. Please do cook them and hopefully you will experience the differences.

Thank you,

Abdul

I noticed exactly the same repitition.
The only difference would be the meat used.
Basic currys using a basic gravy and mix powder.
1 and a half years for volume 2, i think I'll give it a miss thankyou.

Offline Graeme

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2011, 10:02 PM »
I find Abdul very helpful and he has posted some recipes from his
book here, inc the spice mix how kind is that.

The book is optional and only the price of a pint in London,
well you get the idea  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Abdul,

having pondered long on your recipes at the start of the post one thing that's nagging me is the tarka (absence of ginger). our existing knowledge is to start the dish (most dishes) with garlic/ginger paste. would appreciate your thoughts on garlic/ginger paste. does this exist as a separate tarka. this would make sense to me as i feel i must get to your type of tarka via bunjarra.

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 04:05 PM »
Abdul,

having pondered long on your recipes at the start of the post one thing that's nagging me is the tarka (absence of ginger). our existing knowledge is to start the dish (most dishes) with garlic/ginger paste. would appreciate your thoughts on garlic/ginger paste. does this exist as a separate tarka. this would make sense to me as i feel i must get to your type of tarka via bunjarra.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for pointing out that there was no ginger, it should have been garlic AND ginger (60/40 mix) could you please tell me how I could edit the post. I would most appreciate it and thank you again.

Thank you,

Abdul

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 01:26 AM »
Chicken Saagwala

Ingredients

152g to 180g of pre cooked Chicken
Spinach  400g
Basic tarka (60 garlic/40 ginger mix blend)
8 spice  1 tbsp
Tomato puree paste  1 tbsp
Salt   quarter tsp (according to taste)
3 clove of Garlic  chopped
Butter  1 and half tbsp
Gravy

Garnish

Coriander    
Piece of fresh lemon

Method

1.   In a frying pan, add butter instead of oil to make a tarka and salt.
2.   Add the spinach, chopped garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes to ensure it has been cooked.
3.    Add 8 spice, tomato puree paste and 1 ladle spoon of gravy; stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to ensure the spices are nicely cooked.
4.   Add the chicken, stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5.   Then add 1 pint of gravy and cook for 7 to 10 minutes to ensure everything is nicely cooked.
6.   Finally garnish with coriander and lemon.

If you would like to cook any other chicken dishes then please use the preperations at the beginning of the thread.

I will be moving onto vegetable dishes from next week using pre cooked vegetables.

Next week:

Vegetable Jalfrezi
Ingredients; jalfrezi paste, frozen mixed veg, frozen sweetcorn, frozen beans, red potatoes, cauliflower, green chillies, capsicums (red, yellow and green), red onions, tomato puree, coriander and tomatoes.

Paneer Tikka Jalfrezi
Ingredients; paneer, green chillies, capsicums (red, yellow and green), red onions, tomato puree, tomatoes, jalfrezi paste, and coriander.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 07:09 AM »
Looks like one for me today - thanks Abdul
best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes