Author Topic: ?The BIR style wagon?  (Read 142677 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: ?The BIR style wagon?
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Hi Jerry,

I'm sure you are right. I might make this one myself when I've got some time next week.
So far I've never succeeded in making a curry without base that I've liked apart from the minced lamb keema peas that I make about once a month. The point about using meat with bones is probably important for the flavour. I wonder if some chicken pieces e.g. whole thighs would do the trick? I would think the skin will have to come off as I've never seen any Indian food that retained the chicken skins.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2011, 11:35 AM »
PaulP,

the thing to do is to make 2 off small batches side by side to prove which is the better method. the staff curry principle is a perfect way of trying things out. for example i've always wanted to try mustard oil in base and this small batch makes a trial possible.

i had a quick look at the Abdul recipe and it's not that different to ifindforu's in general terms ie mix powder is very different as an example of the limit of similarities. the bone cooking is the only significant difference.

i know what cooking on bone does in none curry cooking. i've never been able to transfer this in terms of my expectation of BIR. i've tried on many occasions to like the traditional but the spicing is just too strong.

whole spice in base is a key requirement for me and a deal breaker without.

after my latest set back in trying to change ifindforu's staff curry towards BIR i'm still in the pondering phase. i think although my brain thinks it might be possible my heart knows all too well that my black steel pan will be going nowhere soon and that the effort in terms of prep for proper curry "BIR" will remain the only route to satisfactory results. for a midweek treat the staff curry amply fulfils a need.

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Many thanks for that one Abdul, but no frying stage?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Nope, there is no frying  :). Give it a go!

Abdul

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Abdul,
 A question if I may please, You use Rajah Garam Masala yes, Do you add anymore spices to the Rajah Garam Masala mix, or do you use it as it comes in the bag?, if so What, Just curious to know. and do you or any of your fellow chef's ever use Jalpur Garam Masala?

Les
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:27 PM by hotstuff09 »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 27, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I looked out all of Abdul Mohed's great looking recipies a while back & put them all together, the plan being to have a go at them...Im glad i never did, because, apparently his basic gravy, which is like many other gravies......is not his 'real' gravy, but a gravy for cr0 members to practise with ???

...I only use Abdul's "Enhanced Gravy Recipe" when making his recipes now it is very close to one of my local takeaways, the Garlic Chilli Chicken, Chicken Madras, Achari Chicken, Chicken Bhuna and the Chicken Sagwala is just heaven and Lamb Keema with Peas is an excellent dish, i also have to say the Pumpkin and Carrot Jalfrezi was a complete surprise to me and a wonderfully spicy dish with no meat, enjoyed this immensely.
The Enhanced Gravy adds an extra depth to the flavour of the curries/dishes. Why publish a gravy recipe you don't use or which you know is inferior to another you have? Why not post it now?...or last year?...or the year before?...like KD did years ago.
Thats the reason for my questions - when things just don't add up  :-\

Regards
ELW

I share your concern. I made the gravy featured in Abdul's book because the book cover said (I thought) that it was his BIR gravy. But now we're told it was some sort of 'practice' gravy - not actually used in his BIR. What use or sense is there in that? I feel like I've been duped. It's almost like Pat C all over again- say one things on the cover and write something else inside.

Can Abdul or anyone confirm that the 'ehnanced' gravy is the real deal, worth making, and they're aren't any other surprises in store like "the Dhansak recipe being a 'practice' recipe for beginners and not like the recipe used at a BIR?

Hi Natterjak,

No you have not missed anything; I have not post it yet but will hopefully do next year.  Hopefully by then, anyone who has made my basic gravy recipe, will have had enough practice to take it further.

Abdul

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 27, 2011, 02:27 PM »
He emailed a gravy enhancement to those who bought his book. This was made in addition to the basic gravy. Is this what he means by advanced gravy?

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 27, 2011, 02:35 PM »
He emailed a gravy enhancement to those who bought his book. This was made in addition to the basic gravy. Is this what he means by advanced gravy?

Hi Stephen, that will probably be it, its not here yet. Improvements are always good, it was the bit about his basic gravy, which is very similar to a lot of other gravies, being a practise gravy that threw me..a better explanation may clear it up for me, but on the face of it, it looked like carrot dangling :)

ELW

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 27, 2011, 03:13 PM »
Why dont you just buy his book for christ sake. Its not a crime, he has not mislead anybody the basic gravy can still be used to create excellent BIR stlye dishes, which i used for quite sometime then moved onto the advanced recipe the advanced recipe gets mixed with the basic one your just adding an extra depth of flavour.
Abduls book is 3.49GBP its not going to break the bank he doesnt have to post anything on here its the mans choice what he posts.
I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt post anything on here again with accusations and just downright rudeness of peoples attitudes.
Abdul is not saying the basic gravy in his book is a practice, hes saying that you need practice using and creating dishes from his book and on here to get used to the way his dishes "come together" i found a big change in the taste of my curries after using the advanced gravy recipe, Abdul did say somewhere on here that he will post the recipe for it in the new year, so why all the animosity towards a person who has posted quite a few of recipes on here already.
And George i think you are being really unfair with comments like that, have you got Abduls book?

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 27, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Why dont you just buy his book for christ sake. Its not a crime, he has not mislead anybody the basic gravy can still be used to create excellent BIR stlye dishes, which i used for quite sometime then moved onto the advanced recipe the advanced recipe gets mixed with the basic one your just adding an extra depth of flavour.
Abduls book is 3.49GBP its not going to break the bank he doesnt have to post anything on here its the mans choice what he posts.
I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt post anything on here again with accusations and just downright rudeness of peoples attitudes.
Abdul is not saying the basic gravy in his book is a practice, hes saying that you need practice using and creating dishes from his book and on here to get used to the way his dishes "come together" i found a big change in the taste of my curries after using the advanced gravy recipe, Abdul did say somewhere on here that he will post the recipe for it in the new year, so why all the animosity towards a person who has posted quite a few of recipes on here already.
And George i think you are being really unfair with comments like that, have you got Abduls book?

Hi Uf.  I think Abdul is well use to the "questioning" approach of curry cooks on this site by now, albeit a little forthright at times ;D and sometimes even "blunt" to say the least.  I think he appreciates the frustration we all share at times ::)  I bought Abdul's book when it first appeared and admit to being quite happy to continue to use the basic gravy as is.  There is plenty more milage in it as it is before i move on to the more complex gravy.  I am too busy with spice mixes and techniques to be trying 101 different gravies at the moment unless of course there's a major breakthrough.  Abdul, I hope you see my pm reply 8)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 27, 2011, 06:00 PM »

I bought his book a couple of months ago and I've had no email with any additional info whatsoever. Hence my confusion when people in this thread started discussing an advanced gravy. perhaps I was supposed to email him to request the additions but it's a bit chicken and egg isn't it - not knowing this extra info was "out there" I didn't know to ask for it.

©2024 Curry Recipes