Author Topic: Abdulmohed's Base Sauce  (Read 9390 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Abdulmohed's Base Sauce
« on: July 18, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I thought I would give his new base sauce recipe a go today and I am quite surprised how nice it has turned out. You can definitely taste the heat from the 6 green chilies in the base, and I think that anyone who likes a mild korma dish would not need to add anymore chili to the dish when cooking.

I guess the only way for me to compare this with my current base which is Taz's, will be to make my favourite dish tonight which is Garlic Chili Chicken. I made this on Saturday night and still have some Chicken Tikka from then so will be giving this a go tonight and will post my results later on.

Whilst I followed every ingredient correctly to his recipe I also took some pictures of the base in the pan, then covered with water, then after it had been cooked and finally after it had been blended which you can see below.

Recipe Added by Admin - Provided by Abdulmohed
8 spice

Ingredients

100g Mild Madras
100g Paprika
200g Haldi Ground Turmeric
100g Dhaniya Ground Coriander
100g Chilli Powder
50g Jeera Ground Cumin
50g Garam Masala
25g Tandoori Powder

(please do not adjust the measurements to make 8 spice)

Method

Pour all the seasonings into a mixing bowl
Mix thoroughly until it forms into one powder.

Gravy
(Use to make 5 or 6 curries)

Ingredients

4 Large onions finely sliced
4 Small Potatoes sliced
1 Capsicum  sliced
Fresh Coriander with stalks and leaves 1 handful
6 Green Chillies  sliced
1 Carrot  chopped
1 Tin of Peeled Tomatoes (400g)
Salt 1 and half tbsp
Turmeric Powder half a tbsp
 8 Spice  2 and a half tbsp
Oil (of your choice or preferably sunflower)  6 tbsp

Method

In a large bowl, add oil, onions, salt, turmeric powder, 8 Spice, potatoes, capsicum, green chillies and carrot. Then add the tin of Peeled Tomatoes and the coriander.

Pour everything into a cooking pot and add 3 pints of water; the water level should be above the ingredients that have been placed into the cooking pot.
Boil until the vegetables are cooked (estimated time 30 minutes)

Finally, take the cooking pot off the cooker, allow it to cool down completely and use a blender to mix all the ingredients together.

For storage, keep refrigerated at the temperature of 0-5 ˚C and no longer than 2 days

I hope this will help you and the rest of our members to cook many BIR dishes.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:08 PM by Admin »

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Abdulmohed's Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Good post, 976bar. This base is next on my list (hopefully this weekend).

How does the base by itself taste and compare to others? Look forward hearing your thoughts on how the base performs in the final dish.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Hi Ramirez,

It tastes very pleasant, and what I instantly notice is the lack of oil compared to Taz's base which is absolutely swimming in it. (Don't get me wrong I love taz's base and is one of the best bases I have made from here), but for me that is a good thing as oil equals calories, so if I can re-produce the kind of curries that I not only am I enjoying right now but my kids and friends go crazy for, without the calories, then this could be the base I am looking for.

I am really looking forward to Abdulmohed's Madras recipe this week, which he said he would post last week, as that is my 3rd favourite dish. My second is a lamb Bhuna, which I have tried to perfect for years..... :)

Offline hampshire hog

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:17 PM »
I thought I would give his new base sauce recipe a go today and I am quite surprised how nice it has turned out. You can definitely taste the heat from the 6 green chilies in the base, and I think that anyone who likes a mild korma dish would not need to add anymore chili to the dish when cooking.

Thought I'd give it ago last night

Agree on that one 976bar you can taste those chillies - I too followed almost to the letter as only had red chillies - however I used Abduls enhanced base (coz I bought his book you tight wads :-X) Seems very much like the Taz base without the oil

Anyway let you know how it turns out later this week -

Offline hampshire hog

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:18 PM »
And the finished base

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:22 PM »
I made this base at the weekend and was surprised at how easy and tasty it was. Was quite hot with the chilli and was very salty. I was a little worried about the saltiness and the heat but the dishes I made have turned out really well.

Did you guys get the email from Abdul which had the base sauce update? I'm sure this will lift this base to the next level. I will give it a go next time.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Nice one guys - great to see people giving this a go!  :D

It tastes very pleasant, and what I instantly notice is the lack of oil compared to Taz's base which is absolutely swimming in it. (Don't get me wrong I love taz's base and is one of the best bases I have made from here), but for me that is a good thing as oil equals calories, so if I can re-produce the kind of curries that I not only am I enjoying right now but my kids and friends go crazy for, without the calories, then this could be the base I am looking for.

Trouble is that while Abdul's base may be less oily, you'll have to add more oil to the final dish to compensate - as you know, with Taz's base you forgo the oil in the final dish as it is all in the base, it's just a case of reducing it. (Not sure how much oil Abdul stipulates in his recipes).

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 05:35 PM »

Thought I'd give it ago last night

Agree on that one 976bar you can taste those chillies - I too followed almost to the letter as only had red chillies - however I used Abduls enhanced base (coz I bought his book you tight wads :-X) Seems very much like the Taz base without the oil

Anyway let you know how it turns out later this week -
[/quote]

It's not a question of being tight Hog, but I have bought so many Indian Cookery books over the years that promise to deliver that BIR taste but don't, that I am really glad that Abdul has let us try his dishes and has put his money where his mouth is so to speak to let us see what he is really all about!!!

Having made the same dish tonight, "Garlic Chili Chicken" that I made on Saturday but with Abdul's base tonight, I can honestly say that it was lovely :)

The lack of so much oil actually bought out a new depth of flavour for me. It was a little hotter than normal because of the chili in the base, but the sauce was more thicker, had more depth and was not swimming around in a puddle of oil, which was very much to my liking.

If this is a sample of what he can teach us to produce, then I will definitely be buying his book.

Here's a couple of pictures of the Garlic Chili Chicken with plain boiled rice that I made tonight :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Having made the same dish tonight, "Garlic Chili Chicken" that I made on Saturday but with Abdul's base tonight, I can honestly say that it was lovely :) The lack of so much oil actually bought out a new depth of flavour for me. 2d2612ea5aced81.JPG[/img][/URL]

If you made the base as written, does that mean you added zero garlic or ginger to the base? I guess garlic was introduced for the final stage of cooking as you were making 'garlic chili chicken'. Perhaps it's better to leave garlic out of the base.

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 05:59 PM »
very nice 976bar that looks divine. Can you point me to you recipe for the garlic chilli recipe, the wife saw your pictures and demanded I make it  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes