Author Topic: Not quite Nargisi Kofta!  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Not quite Nargisi Kofta!
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Been experimenting with some home made scotch eggs to sell in my pub.  The first batch were black pudding, the second cider & fennel.  But it was only a matter of time before I got all Indian on them  ;D

Just added spice mix, mild madras powder, chilli powder, g/g paste, pataks tandoori paste, mint, lemon juice and coriander to some sausage meat and wrapped around some hard boiled eggs. Dip in flour, egg then breadcrumbs before baking in the oven (bit healthier than deep frying - and I hate the smell!)

To make them a bit more interesting I added some Panch Poran (fennel, cumin, black onion, fenugreek, and black mustard seeds) into the breadcrumb coating.

In my own personal opinion - pretty damn good.  If anything the Indian flavours overpower any sausage flavours.  Only a few split in the oven - so I had to eat those myself :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:12 AM by Tomdip »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Not quite Nargisi Kofta!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:42 PM »
Hi Tom,

Have you any photo's of the finished kofta?

I tried this a week ago or so, with some keema that I had left over from my seekh kebab recipe.

I basically just wrapped it around a soft boiled egg and deep fried it for 5 mins on 180c.  I soft boiled the egg thinking that the deep frying would finish it off but do you know what? it didn't, the egg was still runny.  How the hell did that happen?

I haven't made one since as I don't think my seekh kebab keema really suits Nargisi Kofta but I may work on this in the near future.  It would be good to get a new starter on the cr0 boards.

Good work Tom,

Ray :)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Not quite Nargisi Kofta!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:06 AM »
Hmmm how strange, the photo of the finished eggs was included in the post and appeared on the preview and when I checked it on the forum! #Dons deerstalker and goes off to investigate#

The pic should be there now - no idea what happened there.  Wouldn't call them a nargisi kofta (can't imagine many BIRs using Sausage meat!) more of an Indian Style Scotch Egg

Used to get lovely Nargisi Kofta in the Polash in Oxford (long closed) served with a posh egg net on top :)

©2024 Curry Recipes