Author Topic: CR0 BBQ This Saturday!  (Read 34411 times)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CR0 BBQ This Saturday!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Plates and cutlery sound like a good idea, I hadn't given that any thought  ::)

I'll probably take a few packs of wraps or pitta breads to make the food a bit easier to eat. I wonder if you can heat up onion bhajis on a BBQ?

I think the top burner will suffice. The bottom one is a beaut but will really cane the gas. I think most people will make the sauces at home and just need to heat them up there.

If anyone fancies bringing a massive batch of Pilau rice that would be great. We could either try and heat it up, or just have it chilled. I'm sure the sauces will heat it up just fine.

Hi Chris i use these http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=take+away+foil+containers&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2DKUK_en-GBGB395&tbm=isch&tbnid=claQytMrnleu4M:&imgrefurl=http://www.tulipcatering.co.uk/products/disposables.html&docid=C0KuXWpv6QQndM&w=500&h=500&ei=lK03TpvpG4Ow8gPa05DmAg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=128&vpy=99&dur=126&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=99&ty=118&page=1&tbnh=113&tbnw=116&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&biw=1024&bih=533
Whenever i go camping. I have cooked rice,bhajis,chicken tikka and pakoras (ALL pre-cooked) in them, just place them on the warming rack of the BBQ if you havent got a warming rack just place on the BBQ.You might need to put a little water into the rice.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 09:09 AM »
Argh, this has snuck up on me : I though it was still several weeks away :-(  As it is this Saturday, I have to be honest and say I am unlikely to be able to make it; there is just too much going on at the moment for me to be able to carry out the necessary preparations (like cooking !) in time.  If somehow a miracle occurs and I do find time to make something, then I will obviously do my very best to attend, but at the moment the likelihood is not very great.  Sorry.

** Phil.

Hi Phil

Don't stress if you feel you don't have time to cook anything. I am sure there will be plenty of stuff already :) - but if you really have too much on to make it, then no problem.

Cheers

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Yeah same here Phil will try to get there (about a 3 hour drive) but cant promise as we are already going away this Saturday for a couple of days.
Got the postcode so will see what happens,would be great to place faces to the names (and comments).
What time does everything start off?
Might not be able to bring anything food wise.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37 AM »
As Solar said - there will already be way too much food so don't frett about bringing stuff, especially if you have a long drive.

It will go on from 11am - 4pm and people can come and go as they please, I'll be there all the time but I imagine all the best food will be cooked and eaten by 2pm. By then I'm hoping to be sitting back with a couple of cold cans of beer.

I love the idea of using the metal trays as mini ovens by the way. I'll have to see if I can get some.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Don't stress if you feel you don't have time to cook anything.

There's always BIR take-aways and supermarkets, of course.

Take-away food might be useful as a comparison with anything we prepare.
Supermarkets are loaded with stuff which is suitable for a barbecue.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 01:30 PM »
I'm hoping Az is going to bring some stuff from the take away to compare against.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 04:24 PM »
The foil trays are purchased. 8 for a quid at poundland!

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 04:43 PM »

And considerably less from Makro or Costco ::)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 04:59 PM »

And considerably less from Makro or Costco ::)

Do you really find Macro and Costco considerably cheaper? I have accounts at both but I find they are only cheaper on certain products......

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 07:04 PM »
As Solar said - there will already be way too much food so don't fret about bringing stuff, especially if you have a long drive.

I confess this is a very attractive idea, but with one major shortcoming : if I were to turn up, having prepared nothing, and then proceed to scoff everyone else's food, I would feel unbelievably mean and guilty.  So here is an idea, for Chris to accept or reject as he wishes : how about a voluntary donation (say GBP 10-00) from those who turn up with nothing, which can then be used to defray the expenses of all those who have gone to the trouble of buying and preparing something ?  I would be more than happy to toss in my GBP 10-00 in these circumstances.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:12 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

©2024 Curry Recipes