Author Topic: peppery Chicken Curry. Hyderabad, South India  (Read 2638 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
peppery Chicken Curry. Hyderabad, South India
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Another one from Atul Kochhar Simple Indian.

8 large chicken thighs, skins removed
2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
half teaspoon of salt or to taste
2 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice. (I used white wine vinegar)
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
3 teaspoons black peppercorns, freshly crushed
2 large onions, roughly chopped
100ml sunflower oil
2 medium onions, sliced

Garnish
Ginger Julienne
Mustard cress
1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns, lightly toasted

Make a marinade of the ginger garlic paste, salt, vinegar, turmeric and 1 teaspoon of the peppercorns. Spread it over the chicken and marinate for 2 to 3 hours.

Puree the chopped large onions and set aside.

Heat the oil in a large deep saute pan and add the two remaining teaspoons of crushed peppercorns and saute for one minute, then add the sliced onions. Cook gently until softened and golden brown in colour.

Next add the onion paste and fry gently for about 20 minutes until golden brown in colour.

Add the chicken with the marinade and saute until the moisture evaporates. Add 200ml water, bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is done.

Serve sprinkled with ginger julienne, mustard cress and toasted crushed peppercorns.

Accompany with indian breads.

Enjoy.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: peppery Chicken Curry. Hyderabad, South India
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:34 PM »
Is this BIR or traditional Indian cookery? Sounds more like traditional cookery to me as I have never seen this on an Indian restaurant menu. That's not a bad thing and if it tastes really good I would be willing to try this, but there really needs to be some more feedback on what you thought how it turned out...... and why doesn't anyone post pictures of any new curries they make on here?

A PICTURE PAINTS A THOUSAND WORDS!!! :)

Looking forward to you're feedback on the dish :)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Is this BIR or traditional Indian cookery? Sounds more like traditional cookery to me as I have never seen this on an Indian restaurant menu. That's not a bad thing and if it tastes really good I would be willing to try this, but there really needs to be some more feedback on what you thought how it turned out...... and why doesn't anyone post pictures of any new curries they make on here?

The dish is a traditional dish, hence it was posted in this section. I don't as a rule take photos of what I cook but will definitely make a point of doing so in future.

I only ever post the recipes that I think are good enough to share, but the whole taste thing is very subjective.

As a rule I find that most recipes in modern Indian recipe books tend to turn down the spicing. I usually ramp it up a bit; over the years I have got to know how much of this and that to add to satisfy my palate, this tends to mean copious quantities of garlic and chilli.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:11 PM »
i have a video somewhere from over 20 years ago which i recorded from an indian tv channel on analogue satellite.
it has a recipe for a chicken curry that uses 5 TABLESPOONS of black pepper!!  :o ;D

the chef said black pepper is good for the old farmer giles  ;)

just found this:

http://www.srilankacooking.com/2009/03/sri-lankan-style-dry-fish-curry-with.html

©2024 Curry Recipes