Author Topic: Cracked it!  (Read 35221 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cracked it!
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2005, 05:10 PM »
? I take it you have had your vindaloo over christmas?
Bought or made Pete?
I got some frozen vindaloos out
I'm dying to try out some new recipes, but I am getting too many complaints about the smells.
Everybody's coats and scarves are stinking of curry.
I want my own little curry hut at the bottom of the garden!

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I must be the luckiest guy here ,my wife doesn't eat Curry & has no complaints about me cooking my 15 Onion base & numerous Curries. ;D

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2005, 09:01 PM »
Mark with the greatest respect for the work you have been doing in this forum, I would like to remind you that I posted that "the spiced oil" was the key to making a good BIR curry.?
Yes I remember the thread well  ;D

I used spiced oil quite a bit a while ago, not sure why I didnt continue, I think it may have been because I found it tricky to reclaim the oil from the base. Anyway I have no such problems now and use it all the time

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Having gone back to this re-claimed Oil method & kd's recipe just to check if i missed anything, i have to be very honest & say if i were to buy this from a BIR i would be very disappointed,it lacks the full flavor of the 99.9 % recipe i will stick to it until i glean more info from my local fave/BIR. :)

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2005, 11:19 PM »
The base sauce that i got from the bir was straight from the big bubbling pot of gravy on the cooker top...
I asked for some base sauce from a take-away a few months back. The container was filled direct from the large pot but then the container was taken into a back room, when I think some fenugreek or coriander was added and who knows what else? Garam masala perhaps, for all I know?
Regards
George
Hi george, next time tell them that you really love there food and you want some of there base so you can try to re-create that dish at home, that way you will get the base sauce and then you can ask for some spice mixture to go with it, thats what i did and i got 1 tray of base sauce that was served up infront of me and sealed, i also got a 1/4 of a tray of spice mix that was taken from one of the bowls near the other spices right next to the cooker, this is an open type of kitchen too so there is no mistake that they gave me exactly what they cook with..

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2005, 11:34 AM »
...next time tell them that you really love there food and you want some of there base so you can try to re-create that dish at home...

John

Good idea, but unfortunately there are at least two hurdles in this case! (a) The end result curries from this take away are all about the lowest quality I've had anywhere. Thinking of it, I don't know why I thought the base sauce would be of much interest. One factor, though, is that their curries are swimming in so much oil (even more than normal), that one could perhaps use their curries just as a starter-source of spiced oil! (b) the take-away is near where some relatives live and nowhere near me, so I don't go there very often and don't know the chefs, to be in a good position to ask for any favours.

Regards
George

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02 AM »
I made this base again last night and did something a little different:

I always reserve a small pot of the last base to go into the new one, this time rather than bung it in after the puree stage I added it in a bit at a time to the frying onions, it gave off an incredible smell.

I havent yet made a curry with it but will report back when I do!
I had family over on Friday night and used all of this base cooking 2 dishes, a CTM and a chicken balti. The balti was absolutely first rate and Im convinced that the extra frying off of the last of my previous base made quite a difference. If anyone hasnt tried this base yet I would strongly advise you to as I think it is near perfect.

Also see this post for an update: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=602.msg5523#msg5523
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 11:09 AM by Mark J »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2006, 12:12 PM »
If anyone hasnt tried this base yet I would strongly advise you to as I think it is near perfect.

Also see this post for an update: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=602.msg5523#msg5523

Mark

Which base are you referring to, please? Is that the curry house one for subscribers only and, is it to be found anywhere here at cr0.co.uk?

I went to your update at "msg5523" and it starts off half way through with: " Add remaining spiced oil (usually ~250ml) and top up with ground nut oil to ~500ml". Is the entire recipe anywhere, so it's easy to use, please?

Regards
George

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2006, 04:22 PM »
Hi George, Its all in this thread and mostly in the areas titled in bold (it is a variation of the curryhouse.co.uk members area base)

cheers

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I fear I'm too lazy to find or rebuild the recipe. It's my weakness, my fault and my loss.  I fear this forum is getting too much like hard work, given my laziness, a bit like finding a needle in a haystack - information overload, layer upon layer of amendments, comments, changes, variations, updates, etc. It's no one's fault but just inevitable I guess, when there's no "manager", QA, editor or anything! Too bad.

Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes