Author Topic: Spice Grinder  (Read 13727 times)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Spice Grinder
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 03:27 PM »
Sure as hell don't see them doing that down the local BIR ;D

Absolutely - I think that is the key point. While grinding whole spices may be fresher, a BIR is not going to do that because of how onerous it is. Authentic Indian cuisine is probably another matter, though.  :)

I agree with that : I recently ground all my remaining methi seeds when my local Asian supermarket not only had no ground methi but denied that it even existed ("we use methi leaves", they said, "just rub them in your hands").  The results were fine as far as the curry went, but I would certainly agree that the fineness left something to be desired.  This was with a dedicated Kenwood CG-100 (circa GBP 56 -- GBP 75).  It would be interesting to try a real spice grinder, designed for the task.

** Phil.

Yes, I would imagine the grinder linked above would struggle with methi seeds - they're hard little buggers.  ;D Again, I just buy pre-ground (I appreciate that would be difficult if your supplier denies their existence  ;D)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 03:28 PM »

The only exception I can remember was black cardamoms - after grinding down there was a little bit of husk, but that probably would have ground down had I persisted (I just removed it).

Never tried to grind my own yet, but can I ask if you should remove the seeds from the pods/husks first, to avoid this?

Martin

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 03:53 PM »
Yes, I would imagine the grinder linked above would struggle with methi seeds - they're hard little buggers.  ;D Again, I just buy pre-ground (I appreciate that would be difficult if your supplier denies their existence  ;D)

I bought three packs from the Spice Store in Tunbridge Wells on Friday, and will be taking one into my local Asian supermarket this coming week just to prove their existence !

Incidentally, I recently ordered a dozen jars of Chinthe Burmese Lime Pickle from the manufacturers, but the consignment has been damaged in transit and is now residing in a warehouse in Maidstone awaiting advice from the suppliers on how to proceed :-(

** Phil.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 04:08 PM »
I know it's a little expensive and indulgent, but the Waring Spice Grinder is worth every penny. It will produce ground spice to the same degree as any packet mix you care to buy from a wholesaler, plus I now buy mostly just seeds and grind them when I need them, which makes a fresher dish.

Hope this helps :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Made a Sindhi spice mix (plus many others) which includes cloves, black cardamon, green cardamon,black peppercorns and cumin seeds put all ingredients into the James Martin coffee grinder and whizzed away for around 90 seconds shaking has i go and the result was a fine powder, i have ground some fenugreek seeds but only on their own not in a mix but still came out as a fine powder. I do alot of my own spice mixes from roasted to just adding non roasted spices.
Havent had any  problem with this product at all. Well worth the 15 Quid

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Hi Tempest i use this, with cinnamon or cassia i just break up into medium pieces.
http://www.bargainpod.co.uk/wahl-zx595-james-martin-coffee-grinder-157-p.asp

Bought one and used it yesterday. Most impressed. Cost me 13 quid from Amazon.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 08:44 AM »
Having bought the James Martin spice grinder I was still thinking of splashing out on the Waring and did a little digging. I found this review at

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A39250TWO6PEI8?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview

"8 of 8 people found the following review helpful:
2.0 out of 5 stars Does not grind finely enough, 26 Jan 2011
I was bitterly disappointed with this spice grinder. I am a Home Economist, & used to appraising kitchen equipment. I like quality items which are designed well & most importantly work (do what they are designed to do). In this instance a quality brand & hefty price tag did not live up to expectation.

I watched a video on [...] of this item in use, it appeared to be just the gadget I required to mill spices to a fine powder. I particularly wanted to be able to grind up cinnamon sticks (nothing beats freshly ground cinnamon powder) & star anise, along with the usual coriander, cumin & cardamom seeds etc. It did not produce a fine powder, no matter how long I ran the motor. I also tried adding larger quantities of spices than I required in case I was trying to mill too small an amount, this did not help either, there were still large pieces of spice which required to be sifted out, completely defeating the purpose of the purchase.I would very much like to know how they obtained such fine powder for the [...] clip. Try as I might, I could not recreate this fine grind."

The comments from the guys on this forum do not seem to concur with this review from Amazon. Is this reviewer being a little unjust?

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Hi Tempest glad you have had success with it, i have been using my grinder for a couple of years now and havent had the need to get anything else to grind my spice mixes, have used a varied amount of grinders and the James Martin one does it for me.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Just a quick update on the spice grinder business. The James Martin grinder has proven such a success that I have done away with most of the ground spices like cumin and coriander. I have started to grind my own which really makes a difference; more so than using the old mortar and pestle.

T63

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 06:21 PM »
Hi T63 just finished grinding around 15 spice mixes using the James Martin coffee grinder, still no problems  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes