Author Topic: Just joined  (Read 1599 times)

Offline An

• Chef
    • View Profile
Just joined
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Hello. My name is Perry. I'm an American who lives most of the year in Taiwan. I teach in a private university.

I was first introduced to curry in the early 1960s when my father (and the family followed him) was sent to England on a tour of duty.

I would first like to learn how to cook a few simple curries before trying anything more difficult. I'm not sure how successful I will be finding some of the ingredients for curry in Taiwan.

If you can point me in the right direction to finding easy recipes I'd appreciate it very much. I may also need help finding substitutes for some ingredients.

By the way, "An" is my Chinese name. Some foreigners in Taiwan need a Chinese name for salary purposes.

Good to be here, Perry

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Just joined
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Hey Perry,

Welcome to cr0 friend.

Well, where do we start?  Firstly, the curries that you may remember from the 60's in England will be somewhat different to what we get here these days, although they are still great. However, some British members still long for that taste of the 60/70/80's style curry.  The main reasons for the change seems to coincide with the introduction of commercial style paste such as Pataks.

However, the recipes posted here on cr0, hardly ever use pastes and if they do, I doubt that there are used as liberally as the restaurants.

I would suggest that you have a good browse through the base sauce section http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=2.0

and the spice mix section http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?board=28.0

Once you have these two components prepared, you're well on you way to making restaurant style dishes.  None are too complex and most should give you some really good results, whatever your cooking ability maybe!

Hope that helps somewhat? if not, don't hesitate to ask for help.  Plenty of knowledge and experience to be shared by all on this forum.

Good luck,

Ray :)

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:24 PM »
Welcome to cr0

paul

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:31 PM »
Welcom "An".  I'm sure you'll find all you're looking for here  :).  Just hope you can find all you need in Taiwan or a suitable substitute  :D.  Enjoy mate.

Offline An

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. Perry

©2024 Curry Recipes