Author Topic: Slow Cooked Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches  (Read 16982 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Slow Cooked Chipotle Pulled Pork Sandwiches
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20 PM »
michael.t,

i feel so and am certainly going to use it myself . the asda chipotle paste tastes delicious. probably not as good as the can in the recipe but certainly a good starting point to gauge the recipe.

i've put the dry rub on the pork today and intend cooking in the oven tomorrow at 120C for the 8 hrs using apple juice as the "poaching" liquid.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 05:52 PM »
That sounds superb
and I'm going to nick your idea using apple juice  ;)
Cheers Jerry

Unless you come back tommorow saying it tastes like Poo with the apple juice  ;D ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:08 PM »
micheal.t,

the apple juice works - i've used it before with the rub i posted earlier (it's from a download "smoke-a-pork-butt.pdf" which is obtainable in the download section at http://www.smoking-meat.com/bbq-pulled-pork-recipe.html )

using the pork to night. last unknown is how much of the asda paste to use in the passata - not expect it will need much as i don't want it too hot.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 05:10 PM »
using the pork to night. last unknown is how much of the asda paste to use in the passata - not expect it will need much as i don't want it too hot.

Hi Jerry,

How does the smoky character of the ASDA Chipotle Paste compare to that of smoked paprika? Maybe you could use a combination of both to avoid the passata being too hot? My only concern would be that Smoked Paprika already delivers big on smoky flavours, so it could potentially be too much if it doesn't blend with the chipotle.

Cheers,

Malc.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 05:50 PM »
How does the smoky character of the ASDA Chipotle Paste compare to that of smoked paprika?

Axe,

they are very different. i love my La Chinata smoked paprika and have used it in the rub on previous make of a different recipe (essentially that in the pdf link above).

the chipotle past is a finished smoke taste and really good. the smoked paprika is un finished or raw - it would need to go into the rub. i don't feel you could swap them like for like.

for info i've made the passata mix using 200ml passata and 1.5 tsp (7.5ml) of the chipotle sauce. i think you could probably go 2 tsp but held back this being 1st make.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 06:31 PM »
Jerry - for info I used 200ml of passata and 4 tsp of discovery chipotle paste and I felt the level of chipotle flavour was just about right but there was a bit too much tomato acidity present, so next time I make it I'll probably include some tomato ketchup in place of some of the passata.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Was intrigued to see if the other ASDA near me might stock it so i've just visited the ASDA website. Had a look at the chipotle paste in question and then decided to read the ingredients list. I dear say your reaction will be the same as mine was.  ;D

NJ, incidentally I see that ASDA also do a chipotle ketchup. ;)

Cheers

Malc. :)

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2013, 08:04 PM »
That looks absolutely bob on! bob, Thanks for posting the recipe its on next weeks to do list  :)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57 PM »

NJ, incidentally I see that ASDA also do a chipotle ketchup. ;)

Sounds good, I'm sure there would be a way to work that into this recipe. For now I'll stick with the paste though as it tastes glorious :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 07:09 PM »
this turned out pretty good but not as good as i feel i can get with a few makes.

1st problem was the chipotle paste - i was too cautious on the amount. when i added the passata/paste mix into the pork there was not enough chipotle paste - i added a further 1 tsp but it's difficult to mix in at this point. i feel i would use 4 tsp on next make (~ half a jar).

2nd problem was the apple juice - i used too much which made the meat juices too diluted. ended up with 500 ml. i filled my bake tray to about 15mm and think going fwd can reduce to 5 mm - equating to something like 100ml. there is quite a lot of liquid coming out of the meat so you only need a little apple juice at this low heat of ~110C. it does not evaporate like it does at 140C.

i've really gelled with the chipotle taste - it's something i've tasted out in restaurants but never know what it was. the paste is decent and a very good sticking plaster but i'm now tempted to buy the real mccoy ie the tins as per the as spec recipe.

i added 100ml of the meat juices back into the meat.

in the past i've remove the foil ~1hr away from done and basted regularly. this gives the surface of the pork a better taste of the rub which was not present on this make (i kept the foil on for the full 8 hrs cooking).

i had trouble getting the fat off the meat juices too being pushed for time - in short not a week day dish to cook as i felt under pressure in the later stages although the process is dead simple.

i think i would revert back or combine the rub on the next make too but hesitant as i need to get the chipotle taste better 1st.

all in all a keeper and well pleased for a 1st go. the "eaters" said it was very niece which balances up the cooks perspective.

ps Axe - yes quite a list of ingredients but nothing bad

©2024 Curry Recipes