Author Topic: Boiling Whole Onion v Chopped Onions  (Read 22246 times)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling Whole Onion v Chopped Onions
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Here is the result of another test -

Indeed when you cut onions open you get the white juice starting to come out - that is the start of the chemical reaction with the air.

When i cut the top and tail off the onion to start to peel it and then take the outer skin off -  i have started dunking the onions in a sink full of water (could be a pan full of water etc). This does stop the reaction in the air. I cut the onions in half only before boiling them in my base.

IT WAS SLIGHTLY SWEETER THAN USUAL!

I didn't put them in whole just  because of the space issue in the pan - i did 15 kilos of onions!

best, Rich

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 06:36 PM »
ill tell you somthing it does not matter how you cut your onions the sweetness is I have worked in a yake away for around 2 years andadded using somthing else   they cook the onions any way.but i will tell you somthing,yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used im supprised no one has mensioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the seceret to get the guravy taste and no bengalidesh man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing of the guravy,but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions
assalam alykum

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 11:13 PM »
ill tell you somthing it does not matter how you cut your onions the sweetness is I have worked in a yake away for around 2 years andadded using somthing else   they cook the onions any way.but i will tell you somthing,yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used im supprised no one has mensioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the seceret to get the guravy taste and no bengalidesh man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing of the guravy,but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions
assalam alykum

Hi ifindforu

nice to hear from you.

I have been using your base gravy recipe for a very long time now and I still believe yours is up there with the very best gravy recipies on this forum ;D

cheers

paul

Offline Masala Mark

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 01:30 AM »
Hi ifindforu,

Thanks for your insight there, greatly appreciated. Would you be able to attempt to explain to us the word and the  method that you mention that has not been described in the forum, and what you witnessed when they were finishing off the guravy to get the guravy taste.

It certainly would be great for us to learn more and hopefully put an end to us all trying different things that aren't really going to get us any closer to the taste we are all striving to recreate.

Many thanks,
Mark

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:17 PM »
assalam alykum

Hi ifindforu

nice to hear from you.

I have been using your base gravy recipe for a very long time now and I still believe yours is up there with the very best gravy recipies on this forum ;D

cheers

paul
nice to here you liked my base ,but things have moved on since then and ive learnt that the method i used was wrong Iwill be posting a new base of which ive learned in my local takeaway in which i work so all will be revealed thanks ifindforu

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 12:59 PM »
ill tell you somthing it does not matter how you cut your onions the sweetness is I have worked in a take away for around 2 years and    they cook the onions any way.but i will tell you somthing,yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used im supprised no one has mensioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the seceret to get the guravy taste and no bengalidesh man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing of the guravy,but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions
assalam alykum

Hi ifindforu

nice to hear from you.

cheers

paul

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 02:26 PM »
nice to here you liked my base ,but things have moved on since then and ive learnt that the method i used was wrong Iwill be posting a new base of which ive learned in my local takeaway in which i work so all will be revealed thanks ifindforu

Hi Ifindforu.  I read the thread on your base a little while ago and from the reports I decided i must give it a go, along with several other bases ;D.  I now have only two more i want to try before i get to yours.  I will now hang fire in light of your revised recipe coming out.  I look forward to all being revealed, as i am sure many others are ;).
Good work

Dave

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 02:55 PM »
I'm also waiting with baited breath on this one....

There is a curry competition at work next week so this new base recipe could be ideal if it gets posted before next Wednesday.

Thanks in advance to ifindforu.  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 11:02 AM »
i'll tell you something it does not matter how you cut your onions the sweetness is I have worked in a take away for around 2 years and added using something else   they cook the onions any way.  but i will tell you something, yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used i'm surprised no one has mentioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the secret to get the guravy taste and no Bangladeshi man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing off the guravy, but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions
assalam alykum
wa alaykumu s-salaamu wa rahmatu l-laahi wa barakaatuh, ifindforu.  May I ask if you are planning to disclose what this secret is, or are we condemned to futile experimentation for all eternity ?

** Phil.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 11:28 AM »
assalam alykum
Well, reading this post through again, It sounds as if we are doing it all wrong. They do add a sweetness to the base, Our method of cooking is all wrong, and something is added at the end of cooking the base,
So now I'm intrigued, Can't wait for your answer infindforu ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes