Author Topic: Boiling Whole Onion v Chopped Onions  (Read 22250 times)

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling Whole Onion v Chopped Onions
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 11:35 AM »
ill tell you somthing it does not matter how you cut your onions the sweetness is I have worked in a yake away for around 2 years andadded using somthing else   they cook the onions any way.but i will tell you somthing,yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used im supprised no one has mensioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the seceret to get the guravy taste and no bengalidesh man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing of the guravy,but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions
assalam alykum
Well, reading this post through again, It sounds as if we are doing it all wrong. They do add a sweetness to the base, Our method of cooking is all wrong, and something is added at the end of cooking the base,
So now I'm intrigued, Can't wait for your answer infindforu ;D
everyone thinks that adding goor to the base sweetens it,well in a sence it does but only to give a balance to the taste,just the same as adding salt dont forget coconut milk powder or coconut cream block

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 11:42 AM »
ill tell you somthing it does not matter how you cut your onions the sweetness is I have worked in a yake away for around 2 years andadded using somthing else   they cook the onions any way.but i will tell you somthing,yes there is a secret on how to make what they call guravy and also the method used im supprised no one has mensioned it on here I speak a little Bengali and there is a certain word they use that word is the seceret to get the guravy taste and no bengalidesh man will explain it to you.I happened to be there one day when they were finishing of the guravy,but just hoping to stop you wasting your time with the different ways with the onions
assalam alykum
Well, reading this post through again, It sounds as if we are doing it all wrong. They do add a sweetness to the base, Our method of cooking is all wrong, and something is added at the end of cooking the base,
So now I'm intrigued, Can't wait for your answer infindforu ;D
everyone thinks that adding goor to the base sweetens it,well in a sence it does but only to give a balance to the taste,just the same as adding salt dont forget coconut milk powder or coconut cream block
by the waybut if you think you are doing it all wrong then that is your though ,look at JB curry base that is the only one on here that is nearly there just a few tweaks and youll get it

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Thanks ifindforu
Q:- What is "goor"

HS

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Hi Ifindforu,

Is there any chance that you could just tell us where we are going wrong?

Goor?  does that mean sugar?

Ray :)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Hi Ifindforu,

Is there any chance that you could just tell us where we are going wrong?

Goor?  does that mean sugar?

Ray :)

Its Jaggery Goor, unrefined palm sugar

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 11:51 AM »
Thanks Mick, thought so.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 12:44 PM »
by the waybut if you think you are doing it all wrong then that is your though ,look at JB curry base that is the only one on here that is nearly there just a few tweaks and youll get it

Blimey at least I'm doing something right!!!  Thanks for the endorsement Ifindforu,I do add a touch of coconut block in my base as per your original recipe.Must get myself some jaggery(never heard it called goor by the way).
I'm still puzzled as to why my base nearly hits the mark;as I've said before the base sauces(including mine) are all very similar on this site...what makes mine stand out??  Ifindforu it would be great for everyone here if you can post a revised recipe for your base sauce including any new or mystery ingredients,it would make the members very happy on here!!!  Thanks Jb

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Hi JB
Just read your base sauce recipe, and like you said not a lot different from the other recipes on here except for the 5 tablespoons yogurt, and maybe the lemon, so it would be nice if ifindforu could explain it a bit clearer, cos maybe I'm a bit thick  ???

HS
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 03:56 PM by hotstuff09 »

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 07:16 PM »
Is it me or is it just a series of rhymes and riddles and no real definitive answers being given from someone who works in a takeaway ???

Barry

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Blimey at least I'm doing something right!!!  Thanks for the endorsement Ifindforu,I do add a touch of coconut block in my base as per your original recipe.Must get myself some jaggery(never heard it called goor by the way).
I'm still puzzled as to why my base nearly hits the mark;as I've said before the base sauces(including mine) are all very similar on this site...what makes mine stand out??  Ifindforu it would be great for everyone here if you can post a revised recipe for your base sauce including any new or mystery ingredients,it would make the members very happy on here!!!  Thanks Jb

Good on you mate.  Jaggery to be had from the general store next to Spice of India in loads of different forms too :D.  Have you been back to Preem since last year?

©2024 Curry Recipes