Author Topic: Boiling Whole Onion v Chopped Onions  (Read 21900 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Boiling Whole Onion v Chopped Onions
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Is it me or is it just a series of rhymes and riddles and no real definitive answers being given from someone who works in a takeaway ???

Barry

Hi Barry

It is becoming a bit of a tease to say the least.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Blimey at least I'm doing something right!!!  Thanks for the endorsement Ifindforu,I do add a touch of coconut block in my base as per your original recipe.Must get myself some jaggery(never heard it called goor by the way).
I'm still puzzled as to why my base nearly hits the mark;as I've said before the base sauces(including mine) are all very similar on this site...what makes mine stand out??  Ifindforu it would be great for everyone here if you can post a revised recipe for your base sauce including any new or mystery ingredients,it would make the members very happy on here!!!  Thanks Jb

Good on you mate.  Jaggery to be had from the general store next to Spice of India in loads of different forms too :D.  Have you been back to Preem since last year?

Hi Curryhell haven't tried that shop usually go to the one up from Brainwood's...like an Aladin's cave of spices!!
Haven't been back to the Preem but I def will soon.Next time I go I will try and find out as much as I can about his base sauce and spice mixes etc.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 09:39 AM »
Is it me or is it just a series of rhymes and riddles and no real definitive answers being given from someone who works in a takeaway ???

Barry

Maybe ifindforu dosen't really know anything at all, and just having us on. but only time will tell.

HS

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Maybe ifindforu dosen't really know anything at all, and just having us on. but only time will tell.
Time may not be given the opportunity to tell if IFFU takes offence at remarks such as these and decides to stop sharing his knowledge with us.  Would that really benefit anyone ?

** Phil.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34 AM »
What is offensive about my remark then Phil, The key word in my sentence is "Maybe" Which means that I don't really know.

HS

And if he does know where we are going wrong (If we are), Then why not post it, and be done with it
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 10:56 AM by hotstuff09 »

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 10:56 AM »
What is offensive about my remark then Phil, The key word in my sentence is "Maybe" Which means that I don't really know.

Exactly.  You don't know.  So why suggest that perhaps IFFU "dosen't really know anything at all" and thereby risk causing offence ?  If the bloke standing next to you in the pub were to look at you, then turn to his girlfriend and say loudly (so that everyone can hear) "Maybe he's a raving poofter", would /you/ not take offence ?

This forum benefits from /everyone's/ contributions, and we are each capable of deciding for ourselves whose advice is based on genuine knowledge, expertise and experience, and who just wants to make themselves look more knowledgeable than they really are; casting doubts on another member's knowledge is neither helpful nor constructive, and may even result in that member taking offence and deciding to leave CR0, which would benefit no-one.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:08 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 11:02 AM »

Exactly.  You don't know.  So why suggest that perhaps IFFU "dosen't really know anything at all" and thereby risk causing offence ?  If the bloke standing next to you in the pub were to look at you, then turn to his girlfriend and say loudly (so that everyone can hear) "Maybe he's a raving poofter", would /you/ not take offence ?

This forum benefits from /everyone's/ contributions, and we are each capable of deciding for ourselves whose advice is based on genuine knowledge, expertise and experience, and who just wants to make themselves look more knowledgeable than they are; casting doubts on another member's knowledge is neither helpful nor constructive, and may even result in that member taking offence and deciding to leave CR0, which would benefit no-one.

** Phil.

Sorry Phil, don't drink,(You are assuming that I drink, But you don't know) so would not be in the pub in the first place :D
And if we are doing it wrong (the base that is) Why dont he post the correct way, and be done with it?
don't see any sense in all this pussyfooting around

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13 AM »
I wouldn't worry folks - I think he has pretty thick skin.

And no I don't think that we are all doing it wrong. Different restaurants and TAs have different recipes and techniques. He may reveal another recipe or technique. I hope he does but I'm not convinced it will be what I'm looking for.

Paul

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 11:17 AM »
Sorry Phil, don't drink,(You are assuming that I drink, But you don't know) so would not be in the pub in the first place :D
Neither do I (see my posts about Alkoholfrei beers with curry), but that doesn't stop me meeting friends in a pub if that's where they want to meet (since the smoking ban, that is : no way would I meet them there before that).

And if we are doing it wrong (the base that is) Why dont he post the correct way, and be done with it?
don't see any sense in all this pussyfooting around
That's a perfectly reasonable question, and I asked much the same only a day or two ago.  I see no problem with challenging questions, but challenging assertions ("maybe he doesn't know anything at al", or "maybe he's a poofter") can (quite reasonably, IMHO) cause offence.

** Phil.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 11:28 AM »
I wouldn't worry folks - I think he has pretty thick skin.

And no I don't think that we are all doing it wrong. Different restaurants and TAs have different recipes and techniques. He may reveal another recipe or technique. I hope he does but I'm not convinced it will be what I'm looking for.

Paul

Hi Paul
I didn't mean any offence anyway, It was just the way it was taken. :D

HS

©2024 Curry Recipes