Author Topic: Cox's Bazaar Prawn  (Read 3576 times)

Offline nipper

• Chef
    • View Profile
Cox's Bazaar Prawn
« on: August 13, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Has anyone else ever seen this dish?  It's served at the Balti King in Totnes and it's great.  I thought it was just something they have made up, but recently on holiday in Mevagissey another restaurant there also had it on the menu.  I know it is named after a famous beach in India, but would like to see if anyone has clues on the ingredients

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cox's Bazaar Prawn
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Hi Nipper,

I remember you requesting this recipe over 12 months back, so you've still had no joy then?

Just checked out a menu on the web and it describes the dish as, juicy tiger prawns cooked in the tandoor and served in a tandoori sauce.

I'm going to keep looking for you but I wouldn't hold up much hope.  www, just seems to make reference to the resort rather than the dish.

Ray :)

Offline nipper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Cheers Ray

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:07 PM »
Has anyone else ever seen this dish?  It's served at the Balti King in Totnes and it's great.  I thought it was just something they have made up, but recently on holiday in Mevagissey another restaurant there also had it on the menu.  I know it is named after a famous beach in India, but would like to see if anyone has clues on the ingredients

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25 PM »

ignore my previous post, dont know why my response did not show :-\

Hi Nipper,

It seems like the dish you are talking about is called 'Tandoori King Prawn Masala' or 'Jinger Masala' but if you could tell me a bit more about the dish; taste; colour; served as a main dish or starter and I may be able to find out for you from my chef friends.

With regards to Cox's Bazaar, as far as I know it is situated in Bangladesh, is there one in India aswel? As it did not come up when I searched using google.

Thank you,

Abdul

Offline nipper

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:40 AM »
To Abdul,  Bangladesh, yes!

The colour is slightly similar to a Dhansak and sometimes it looks as though it has lentils in it as well.  It also certainly has Methi, as you can see flecks of it.  It is a thick sauce, doesn't appear to have onions, and is very hot.  It has a slightly bitter and yet also sweetish after-taste.

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Hi Nipper,

Thank you for your reply,

It sounds very much like a Dhansak but it is hot and methi flavoured. I will put it together in the next few weeks and I will post the recipe for you to try and tell me what you think.

Thank you,

Abdul

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Could it be something to do with the spice blend "Basaar mix"

©2024 Curry Recipes