Author Topic: Base Substitute (in a hurry)  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Base Substitute (in a hurry)
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:42 PM »
I've just blitzed my second batch of Abdulebad's base and it tastes like a spicy vegetable pureed soup. It got me wondering about a previous post on the site regarding short cuts when we are in a hurry or have forgotten to defrost the kit. I find myself returning to the notion that if a good vegetable soup from the supermarket could be blitzed then added to a typical curry routine of GG Paste, Tomato Paste, Spice mix (perhaps a little more than usual) the usual herbs and meat would we have a descent solution when caught out?

I have to admit I have used a tablespoon of Patak curry paste in boiling water to pre cook chicken for 10 minutes ahead of adding to a curry with favourable results. Given the above or from experience can anybody recommend a brand of soup to keep in the back of the cupboard?

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Base Substitute (in a hurry)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Hi Panpot,
Did try a Soup Base some time ago and it gave a decent Curry in a hurry -
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3784.0
I reckon a French Onion and a Tomato Soup would be worth a try  ;)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Emin-j i new there was a post on here though it was a while ago. If I ever fancy a quick curry and My kit is all in the freezer I will have a go with your recipe. PP

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Just out of curiosity, PP, why can you not simply thaw the base in the microwave, or just pop it in a saucepan and warm it up (that's what I tend to do if I have no base in the fridge)?

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Your right Ramirez, I suppose my reason for the post was more to do with having no base anyway. Maybe it was worth the asking since The Boss has posted what looks like a cracker of a solution, maybe even creating a new section for us all I.e. "Recipes for when you have ran out of base" PP

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:53 PM »
Panpot,
Just found that Knorr make a French Onion,Brown Onion,and a White Onion packet Soup  :D I have also used Tomato Juice from a screw top 1ltr container in a Curry and was excellent,can be fun experimenting sometimes. ;)

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:23 PM »
Lidl have just got an 'Indian Summer' soup, by New Covent Garden Soup Co. in.
99p for 600g. Use date 06/10/11, but is suitable for home freezing.
Ingredients
Water, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, onions, yellow split peas (5%), butternut squash, red split lentils (3%), red peppers,cream coconut, tomato paste, ginger, lime juice, garlic, salt, coriander leaf, ground coriander, cumin, cardamom, white pepper, turmeric. - Vegetables 44%.

Bought one to have an experiment, haven't opened it so don't know what it tastes like or it's consistency yet.

But from the ingredients it certainly sounds like it could work.

Martin

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 08:30 PM »
That sounds spot on  ;) let us know how you get on.

Offline daddyL

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 09:53 PM »
Very interesting, not looked at or tried a base substitute but had some very good results using Heinz lentil soup as a base for a quick tarka dhal, dal, dall (however you spell it)  :)

Will give it some thought though.

Leon

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 04:21 PM »
Tried it yesterday and it worked out really well.

Found it was a bit thick and lumpy, so needed water adding and blending.
Looked and tasted quite like a base, strong coriander (I think) taste to it though.
Because it needed blending, and I was prepping some onions anyway, I decided I might as well chop and saut? a small onion to add to it too.

Made a Madras and a Balti with it and they turned out great and, from my limited experience, wasn't really any different to any other curries I've cooked. Oh and they were both really enjoyed by my son and his girl.

Would I bother again?
Maybe in an emergency, but I've usually got a freezer full of base, as I enjoy making it.
I'd never seen this soup at Lidl before, and probably won't again for a long time anyway, As is the way with Lidl.

Martin

©2024 Curry Recipes