Author Topic: Curryhell's Pilau rice - yet another recipe  (Read 31780 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Curryhell's Pilau rice - yet another recipe
« on: August 21, 2011, 12:47 PM »
This is my recipe for pilau rice.  I apologise in advance if it

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Pilau rice - yet another recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58 PM »
Hey CH,

Wonderfull looking rice, both of them. Would you say that one portion of this could feed 3?

Ray :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:24 PM »
Hey CH,

Wonderfull looking rice, both of them. Would you say that one portion of this could feed 3?

Thanks Razor.  My recipe says 1 cup but i actually use a standard size mug for measuring my rice as the house is devoid of cups ;D.  I would say it does provide 3 standard restaurant servings or two very generous portions.  As you can see from the dish i opted for one generous portion ;D.  Any plan soon to try my North Indian Special??

Dave

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 02:49 PM »
Hi Dave,

That's great, only a teaspoon of oil per portion then, brilliant, fits in with my diet perfectly.  I do have my own version but it is way too unhealthy for me at the moment ( 3 tbs of butter ghee)  :-X

Any plan soon to try my North Indian Special??

Yeah, I got a little side tracked of late with my 'Healthy' eating as you may have read.  I just need to get to grips with this diet plan and see how I can work it in.  One way or another, the NIS is next on the agenda, even if it means it's part of my once a month treat.

This dieting lark is playing havoc with my currying but on the up side, I've already lost 4lb since Wednesday, and that's without any exercise at all, so, with a bit of luck, the NIS will be with us very soon ;D

Offline t-c

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:34 PM »
Hi Curry.

That picture looks great, and will try this out in the week with Chewy's mint chicken curry.

tc

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Oh well, as promised I made your rice, with Coryanders vindaloo, and my conclusion for the challenge of who's rice is better betweenn your recipe and mine is:-

Yours was better!!!

Dont know why that came out in a smaller font? ;D

Seriously though, I feel the taste of both was about the same, and mine is obviously quicker and easier to make, but does not come out as fluffy as yours.

The result of your rice way fantastic mate, each grain was loose, with no moisture present.I will be using this as my standard from now on, and look forward to making Dips mushroom rice recipe using it.

See pics below,
Well done mate, have a go at my base, and korma recipe when you get chance if you would, and let me know what you think.

Regards

Matt

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:08 PM »

Seriously though, I feel the taste of both was about the same, and mine is obviously quicker and easier to make, but does not come out as fluffy as yours.

The result of your rice way fantastic mate, each grain was loose, with no moisture present.I will be using this as my standard from now on, and look forward to making Dips mushroom rice recipe using it.

So I've a convert then???  ;)  Well done Matt.  The entire meal look so so scrummy never mind the rice :P :P :P  :D. I want it now for lunch :o.  I agree the taste should be similar as were using almost the same spicing although you beat me in quantities ;D.  Yours if definitely quicker.  TBH i think they're both very easy to make especially when you've been doing it on a regular basis :).  I'd planned to make yours over the weekend but due to other demands have not got round to it.  But my next curry will be served with your version of pilau with a full report to follow :D.  I am not looking forward to the washing bit in the slightest though >:(.
Did you try it with Dips mushroom rice recipe?  That's a real winner IMO.  Try my special rice without the mix powder.  It's a refreshing change from the normal special fried rices with mix spice.  A nice hint of sweetness coming from the peas and the onions.  A few TA's in my area do it this way. One improvement i have made recently, purely aesthetic, is when i add my tiny pile of colourings i take a teaspoon of rice and place on top of each colour.  This intensifies and concentrates the colouring into a few grains and reduces the colour bleed which can detract from the overall appearance. A bit anal I know :o but this is one dish i nailed ages ago so i like it to be spot on everytime.  Will try your korma out on a friend of mine.  Personally i don't eat the stuff, far too mild for me, but tasty nonetheless.  My next base to try is Abduls but i will add yours to the "to do" list.  Once Abdul's is done i intend doing my cook off between 5 bases on my favourite dish to see which produces the best result.  One result will definitely be a mountain of North Indian Special to eat for the entire week  ;D ;D ;D

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 02:40 PM »
I look forward to your '5 base'  test mate, and your opinion on my korma, and my base(And my rice lol)
The korma does not need to be mild, as always you can pep it up a bit and it is really good(Im a vindaloo man normally, so like it spicy)

Funnily enough am mate and I had a take away on friday, and we had a vindaloo, and a new one to me called a 'Naga Chicken'
I know naga's are supposed to be the hottest of hot, but the result was the vindaloo IMO was slightly hotter, but the flavour of the Naga dish was fantastic.

I've not seen any recipes for this, but am determined to find it.The taste of the chillies was intense, but the heat not overpowing.A real winner.(from a new TA also-in a village near me called 'Deadmans Cross')

Good luck with the tests mate, and I look forward to the results,

Matt

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I look forward to your '5 base'  test mate, and your opinion on my korma, and my base(And my rice lol)
The korma does not need to be mild, as always you can pep it up a bit and it is really good(Im a vindaloo man normally, so like it spicy)

Funnily enough am mate and I had a take away on friday, and we had a vindaloo, and a new one to me called a 'Naga Chicken'
I know naga's are supposed to be the hottest of hot, but the result was the vindaloo IMO was slightly hotter, but the flavour of the Naga dish was fantastic.

I've not seen any recipes for this, but am determined to find it.The taste of the chillies was intense, but the heat not overpowing.A real winner.(from a new TA also-in a village near me called 'Deadmans Cross')

Good luck with the tests mate, and I look forward to the results,

Matt

Hi CH
You rice looks spot on, what brand do you use?

Hi Matt
Get yourself a jar of Mr.Naga, its what BIR cooks use to create
Naga dishes, like your "Naga Chicken". only half a teaspoon will
give you the Naga flavour.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5591.msg55597#msg55597
I use it in lots of my restaurant recipes.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5834.msg57818#msg57818
cheers Chewy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:43 PM by chewytikka »

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Hi CH
You rice looks spot on, what brand do you use?

Hi Matt
Get yourself a jar of Mr.Naga, its what BIR cooks use to create
Naga dishes, like your "Naga Chicken". only half a teaspoon will
give you the Naga flavour.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5591.msg55597#msg55597
I use it in lots of my restaurant recipes.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5834.msg57818#msg57818
cheers Chewy

Thanks CT.  The brand i have at the moment is called Badshah.  I bought a 25kilo bag way back when.  You could definitely call it aged as its gone way way past its BB but as you can see it produces the results ;D and the taste is as good as any pilau i have eaten.  Having read the thread on basmati rice, i am a little bit concerned as what brand i will buy when eventually my supply runs out :-\.  But that'll be a while yet ;D.
As for the Mr Naga, i love the stuff on my poppadums.  next time i cook i will add a couple of teaspsoons to my curry and see what happens.

©2024 Curry Recipes