Author Topic: Curryhell's Pilau rice - yet another recipe  (Read 31523 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Curryhell's Pilau rice - yet another recipe
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Each time I cook this I seem to increase the quantity  ;D  Today I cooked a total of 19 portions.

As you seem to have gone into production in a big way :o :o, Hotstuff asked if you do home delivery?  ::) ::)  If you do count me in ;D

Glad it's working well for you mate.  To go with 976's bhuna I just turned a portion into keema rice - identical to my local BIR / TA  8)

Offline madmatt

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 05:09 PM »
This reply is kind of a bounce for the post really, as I think this is one of the best pilau recipes on here(Especially when used with Dipurajas Mushroom recipe)

Madmatt

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:19 PM »
Thanks for bumping the thread  Matt ;).  For any poor sod that's got an electric hob like me and had struggled to cook decent rice on it,  this recipe has proven to be a godsend :D  And it does lend itself easily to be turned into many of the BIR rice dishes on the menu :D

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 02:36 PM »
I've made an illustrated guide to the scaled up version of this recipe which I always use to give me a ready supply of pilau in the freezer.  It's here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8713.0

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57 PM »
Hi,

I am interested in giving this a try....my question...what temperature and timings should I cook for if i have a gas oven...does 160 on electric fan oven make any difference to 160 gas oven...also how would you defrost if you do not have a microwave and how do you prepare the rice prior to serving.

thanks
emann

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 10:22 AM »
I am interested in giving this a try....my question...what temperature and timings should I cook for if i have a gas oven...does 160 on electric fan oven make any difference to 160 gas oven...also how would you defrost if you do not have a microwave and how do you prepare the rice prior to serving.

Hi Emann  Answer to your question - yes it does.  I don't use  my fan on my electric oven when cooking rice as i've always used it as a conventional oven, which results in different temperatures depending on where you place what is being coooked, just as in a gas oven.

Use gas mark 4 which equals 175-180 electric and place in the middle of the oven.  Cooking times are the same (this can vary a little depending on the brand/age of bastmati, but normally between 12 to 15 mins for the actual cook).  When you take it out of the oven to remove the whole spice, the surface should look quite dry as per Natterjak's picture although there is plenty of moisture underneath.  Any grains that are dry will rehydrate using moisture from the other grains when the rice is forked over to mix the colours.

Defrost by placing in fridge 24 hours before needed.  Reheat by adding a tsp of oil and frying on med high heat until piping hot.  You may want to add a couple of tsps of water during the reheating if needed.

Others may be able to advise on how to cook from frozen in the oven but i've never done it :-\

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 06:29 PM »
Hi there and thanks for your quick reply.

I think i have the information required to give this method a go.

Something else, what sort of food colouring do you use (like the ones used in when cooking deserts?) and when doing the maths, 1250g making 23 portions works out to about 55g...this is considered a single portion?

thanks
emann

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Hi emann,

6 mugfulls of rice was what I weighed at 1250g and that is what I call "one batch" of rice because it's all that will fit into my stockpot. But as noted I cooked two batches yielding a total of 23 portions, hence around 110g of dry rice per portion (finished portions weigh approx 300g after taking on water).

Liquid or powdered food colourings should work, but be careful with the powder - only tiny amounts are needed. I use liquid colourings.

Offline emann

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2012, 06:22 PM »
hi natterjak...thanks first of all...the liquid colours are the ones used in deserts...i have never used these so do not know if they have any impact on the taste of the finished rice.

tks

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 06:30 PM »
hi natterjak...thanks first of all...the liquid colours are the ones used in deserts...i have never used these so do not know if they have any impact on the taste of the finished rice.
I use only liquid colours (for rice) and can state with confidence that they do not seem to affect the flavour one iota.  Whether the same would be true if they were used on plain boiled/steamed rice I cannot say, but in a pulao where the whole spice flavours predominate, I can tell no difference in flavour at all between coloured and plain. (Well, not strictly true : the coloured always tastes better to me (so long as I use the colours with discretion), because taste is influenced by sight and I like the sight of green and orange grains nestling amongst the white !).

** Phil.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:01 PM by Phil (Chaa006) »

©2024 Curry Recipes