Author Topic: Fish Curry........... Where do we begin?  (Read 7436 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Fish Curry........... Where do we begin?
« on: August 24, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Ok, it's no secret, I have a high cholesterol count so my doctor say's of 5.5, so yes I am on medication :(

Having gone for my repeat prescription today, there was a new pharmacist in the chemist and when my prescription was ready he asked if he could spend a few minutes with me discussing my medication......

He asked me what my cholesterol level was and when I told him it was 5.5 he thought it was crazy that I was on medication for this. He told me (and he is a young guy probably in his 30's) that his level used to be 8, which is a little high.

So he went on to tell me all about the venal system and how everyone thinks that the veins are hollow tubes, and in fact they are not. They have these little gates in them that control the blood flow and in fact the bad cholesterol collects at these gates and this is what causes the problems.

He went on to say that eating more oily fish which contain "large natural Lipids" which is a good cholesterol, drag the bad cholesterol through the veins, thus dissipating the bad stuff in your veins and making you more healthy.

He said that just through excersing better and eating more natural fish, (you can also take Omega 3 capsules, but fresh fish will always be better), that you can have a normal cholesterol level without having to take meds.

So, my question is, has anyone here actually made any fish curries? I know a few restaurants that offer them and it's becoming more and more popular in Indian restaurants these days....

If anyone has had any success in making any of these fish curries, I would be interested to make this a thread and see what progresses along the line...

I've already got my eyes on Abdulmohed's Tandoori King Prawn Masala, which I am probably going to try at the weekend, and have laid in bed at night thinking, can I also adapt this with the help of some coconut, fresh chilies and some fresh fish into a wonderful curry?

I've heard of "Goan Fish Curry" before and once saw Rick Stein cook one on one of his TV shows, but I am sure we can come up with something far better than that :)

So!! If anyone out there has experimented with fish and had some great results then please post here :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Fish Curry........... Where do we begin?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:32 AM »
976bar,

i too have vested interest in that cloggy stuff. stay positive all is not lost - my last reading was 5.0 and i don't see it as a problem.

for me i'd stay off the chemical help unless dire which would be well over 6.

i stick with moderation to a low sat fat intake - it does work in that it's not a diet but a change in eating habit. i have some data if you need.

back onto the curry. i'd love to get a decent fish curry. i've never found one. i think sri lanka curry would be the starting point.

ps prawns are the worst you can go for followed by egg.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:35 AM »
Hi 976.  I hope you were looking at Abdul's recipe with a view to using fish rather than prawns :o.  I am lead to believe that these tasty little critters, although they're from the sea are very high in cholesterol unlike proper fish.  As for recipes, i have only had authentic fish curries, whilst very tasty, not really my cup of tea.  Sorry i can't be of any more help  >:(

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 02:41 PM »
Hi All,

I know this sounds extravagant but does Lobster come under the same category as Prawns? I love the big tiger prawns and I love lobster and I have some pretty good ideas for some recipes for them.....

But I also have found a wonderful recipe for an Indonesian Spicy fish dish which uses mackeral fillets (now I know they are really good for you) and it also uses tamarind, which I am not normally a fan of but went and got some today, but also uses fresh galangal, red chillies, ground coriander, tumeric, fennel seeds (which always go well with fish), coconut cream......

I'm gonna go and get the fresh mackeral fillets tomorrow as I have all the other ingredients, will make this dish and post it if it's any good :)

But I have to say that the picture looks really good :)

Will let you know how it turns out....

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:11 PM »
Hi All,

I know this sounds extravagant but does Lobster come under the same category as Prawns? I love the big tiger prawns and I love lobster and I have some pretty good ideas for some recipes for them.....

Unfortunately, yes :-\ :-\.  Lobster  and prawns pretty much the same mate.  Stick with the likes of mackerel, herrings, fresh tuna and cod.  The authentic curry i had was made with cod or a similar white fish.  Damn tasty but as i said not really my idea of indian, but nice nevertheless :P.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 05:24 PM »
To be honest 976bar, and I know this doesn't really help much in your quest for a good fish curry recipe, if I was in your position I would stick to what I normally use in curries (for me that is chicken almost exclusively) and get my fresh fish (and Omega-3) from other meals. If that means giving up some of your curry intake, then so be it - as after all, nothing is more important than your health.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 06:44 PM »
Thanks for all your advice everyone, really appreciated :)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Maybe not BIR but two fishy curries I cook a lot are these 2;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/meenmoleefishcurryco_77185
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tunakikaracurriedtun_76586

The 1st is a thin almost Thai style curry - not sure if the coconut milk is good for you though?

The 2nd sounds weird but is lovely with bread or pasta but not rice strangely.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 02:35 PM »
have found a wonderful recipe for an Indonesian Spicy fish dish which uses mackerel fillets

that's the fish i had in mind and sounds exactly the curry too. for info i initially thought coconut fat was not good but having read up on it i remain a big fan and have labeled it healthy.

very much looking forward to how the dish turns out.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Made this last night and to be honest it didn't turn out as I would have expected. I think Mackerel is a too stronger flavoured fish for a curry it needs something more like Sea Bass or a firm white fleshed fish but not so pungent. Secondly, coconut cream was far too rich and made the sauce so thick I had to keep watering it down to get the consistency, so by this time a lot of flavour was lost from the fresh Masala that I had made too.

I took loads of pictures hoping this was a winner, but it needs re-working.

I think next time I will use a lighter flavoured fish, I will use coconut milk instead of cream and I may cook the onions before adding them to the Masala which was blended to a course paste in the blender with the garlic and ginger, before adding the ground spices.

I think this dish can be a winner but I do need to work on it first before I post it on here :)

©2024 Curry Recipes