Author Topic: My new tandoor/napoori  (Read 13345 times)

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My new tandoor/napoori
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 10:54 PM »
I'm still a bit sceptical of these but its good to hear your opinion Fishy. My biggest grudge is that I can't really see the big improvement over using a charcoal BBQ. The only difference seems to be that you cook upright. Does the design act like a mini jet-engine and accelerate the airflow out of the top? Then there is the problem that you can't stick naans to the inside of them - well maybe you could but you probably wouldn't want to eat them.

I got really close to ordering one a few months ago but I decided it really wouldn't get used enough to justify the expense. I already have an awesome gas BBQ that cooks tikka just the way I like it. I think using the massive skewers helps as the inside of the chicken cooks at the same time as the outside meaning you get can reduce the cooking time and have more juicy results. I'm not convinced that standing them upright makes any real difference. It's such a shame that Nipoori didn't sort their act out and get one to the BBQ otherwise we might all be singing it's praises now.

The Napoori's shape is designed like the tandoor, as i understand the tandoor's venturi effect keeps the heat even throughout the oven, also it gets upto 400 deg, you wont get that on a barbi.

As for cooking naans it would be tricky due to the smallish opening they suggest putting the naan on a pan onto the supplied grill, the oven splits in halve easily so can be done without hassle, i will try this and report back.

This does the job for me and as said ive had the best results so far just need to get that hickory wood for that extra smokey flavour, yummy.

ATB

Fishy 

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 02:42 AM »
I'm still a bit sceptical of these but its good to hear your opinion Fishy.

The Napoori's shape is designed like the tandoor, as i understand the tandoor's venturi effect keeps the heat even throughout the oven, also it gets upto 400 deg, you wont get that on a barbi.

I assume you mean 400F, and even that would be pushing it. I simply don't believe that one of these ovens would get anywhere near 400C, especially near the top opening. Chris has said he's a 'bit sceptical'  I'd say I'm very sceptical. Perhaps the offer of a test unit for the summer barbecue meeting was withdrawn because the suppliers feared we would disprove some of the key claims, and hype.

If one of our longer standing members, like CBM or Haldi was able to test one of these Nippori ovens and say it compared favourably to their existing tandoors, then I'd be a lot more inclined to believe what they had to say. If the claims do actually stand up to real scrutiny, then I suggest the suppliers missed a great opportunity when they failed to provide a test unit for the summer barbecue.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 08:32 AM »
Hi

It seems that previous discussions and proofs on the temperature have already been discussed, please refer to this thread: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5852.msg59425#msg59425

Hope that jogs some memories.

Cheers

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 10:08 AM »
It seems that previous discussions and proofs on the temperature have already been discussed, please refer to this thread: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=5852.msg59425#msg59425

I don't think that Fishy and I need you to tell us when we can raise a subject for a bit of debate.  If multiple threads are started in a possible attempt to promote a commercial product, then I don't see anything wrong in arguing similar points against,, on each thread. Fishy's photos are very similar to Coogan's. Are you suggesting he shouldn't have posted them?

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Fine, if you feel the need to discuss over and over and over again whether these things can or cannot reach 400 degrees then carry on  ::)

How you came to the absurd conclusion that I did not think Fishy should have posted his pictures is anyones guess.

I enjoyed looking at Fishy's pictures.

You are a misery.

Edit: I removed the phrase 'jog on' from the post as it actually turned out to be more offensive that necessary. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jog%20on)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 11:32 AM by solarsplace »

Offline Terramamba

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 12:28 PM »
I enjoyed looking at Fishy's pictures.

:)

I liked the pictures too, and being there, feeling the heat, the smell of the chicken cooking was AWESOME, even better the delicious results.  ;D

Isn't that what this wonderful forum is all about, sharing ideas and tips to get that fantastic BIR taste?

All the best!

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Hi Fishy, Nice to hear from someone else with a Nipoori Tandoor but beware you will be no doubt falsely be accused of being some sort of collaborator and "sleeping with the enemy" if you dare to say anything even remotely positive about the product.

Good picture the tandoori chicken looks superb. Did you find the vegetables were cooked before the chicken? I always do my veg on a separate skewer as I find that they only take about 3 mins. Very interested to hear how you get on with the naan my old model does not have a grill that fits inside to try it out. Also interested in what sort of results the hickory wood produces I have not tried that out either. I do use my oven indoors but I have it right by the open front door to my kitchen and have not suffered any problems. Anyway you will find that you can use it in any outside conditions rain, wind, hail or snow does not affect its performance once it is fired up.

I agree they do produce the moistest kebabs that you will get anywhere. You just cannot replicate TA/BIR's tikka/tandoori dishes without having a tandoor probably explaining why all TA/BIR's have one or two rather then using conventional grills or gas barbecues - obvious really.

George, Are you sure. For your sake I went to great lengths to carry out and document a heat test on my oven to clearly prove that it reached and maintained temperatures way in excess of 400 centigrade. Doubting Thomas would be proud of you. Why can you not just accept the fact that the Nipoori does work and actually does what is says it can achieve on the box for once - thankfully. It will most probably be the best bit of kit to come our way ever to help us all fulfill our currying desires. Wake up! Now I know what Columbus must have gone through!

Bon God.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Hi Cougan, I really appreciate the effort you made to post the temp measurements.

I'll probably get one next spring but I won't be using it indoors!  :o

Cheers,

Paul

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 03:35 PM »
George, Are you sure. For your sake I went to great lengths to carry out and document a heat test on my oven to clearly prove that it reached and maintained temperatures way in excess of 400 centigrade. Doubting Thomas would be proud of you. Why can you not just accept the fact that the Nipoori does work and actually does what is says it can achieve on the box for once - thankfully. It will most probably be the best bit of kit to come our way ever to help us all fulfill our currying desires. Wake up! Now I know what Columbus must have gone through!

I'm sorry, but I would need to see it with my own eyes (and temperature probe) to believe that you could measure anywhere near 475C with the probe where it is in your photo. My doubts are based on my own experiments and measurements with charcoal, as well as other information on how charcoal performs in other barbecues. If I'm wrong, and it really works, then I'd be interested to know how because it would indeed be impressive. I know I have no evidence, much like a detective who just has a gut feeling that something isn't right, and sets out to collect evidence to prove it.

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 04:53 PM »
so george if thats right what you are saying, are we to disbelieve the laser point and read thermometers aswell then as they don't actually touch or go anywhere near the ovens. check out Heston blumenthals "in search of perfection" his perfect chicken tikka masala episode when he goes in to an indian kitchen stands on the other side of the kitchen points his thermometer at the top of the tandoor actually just inside it and that reads 480C. and that is the temperature he was looking for when he made his own charcoal burning tandoor! in the car park of the fat duck!
and yes you can reach this temperature on a charcoal bbq if you have a lidded barby.

regards
gary ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes