Author Topic: Rajah or Natco  (Read 12647 times)

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Rajah or Natco
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:36 PM »

Hello.
Throwing away some old spices and replacing with fresh,etc/
I'm shopping online and i think it comes down to these two:Rajah or Natco.
Are they just as good as each other?
Anyone with a preference for one?
Many thanks.

Offline fishy

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Rajah or Natco
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Hello

I,ve used both and can't tell any different, I do know that my local indian store supplies natco spices to most of our local BIR's, trouble is for me that is i have to buy huge bags of the stuff as the store doesn't sell small packet but i bet its fresh.

Hope that helps
Fishy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:58 PM »
I have just placed my first order with The Asian Cookshop, and I am impressed by their range and p&p charges -- they carry all the main brands, including TRS, MDH, Rajah & Natco, and offer free delivery (within the UK) for all orders exceeding

Offline Wickerman

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:06 PM »
Thanks.
I've always used http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/?kw=spices%20of%20india&fl=517450&ci=3688448948&network=s&gclid=CMqC8rPbmKsCFYJO4QodKWjgWg.
Still,it dosn't hurt to look around for the cheapest.
Thanks guys

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Something I have started doing is to buy the 100g packs and although it might be a bit more expensive the Spices keep fresher opening a new pack as I need it rather than buy the 200g or 400g packs that once opened might start to deteriorate if like me you use a peg or rubber band to keep the pack closed  ::)

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55 AM »
In regards to whether Natco or Rajah is better, I would say that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two and either one will serve you well.

Thanks.
I've always used http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/?kw=spices%20of%20india&fl=517450&ci=3688448948&network=s&gclid=CMqC8rPbmKsCFYJO4QodKWjgWg.
Still,it dosn't hurt to look around for the cheapest.
Thanks guys

Likewise. Very good range, good price and quick delivery. I highly recommend them

Something I have started doing is to buy the 100g packs and although it might be a bit more expensive the Spices keep fresher opening a new pack as I need it rather than buy the 200g or 400g packs that once opened might start to deteriorate if like me you use a peg or rubber band to keep the pack closed  ::)

Me too - I try to maintain a reasonably high turnover of spices.  :)

Offline coogan

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I do not think what brand of spice you use really matters. What is far more important is to:-

Always check the sell by date on the packaging - I have seen up to two years difference on the same shelf. Do not be tempted to buy the package that is twenty pence cheaper then the rest - guaranteed to be old stock rather then just a mistake!

Always use whole spices and grind them yourself when required if possible - whole spices have a much longer shelf life then ground and will be stronger in flavor once freshly ground - Seeds of Cumin, Coriander, Cardamom, Fennel and Fenugreek also grind whole Cinnamon sticks, Nutmegs and Cloves. Most important always use freshly ground Garam Masala and try and use all other spice mixes freshly ground yourself as much as possible. Also substitute fresh Chilies for ground and don't be shy of using fresh coriander as much as possible.

Finally, Only buy in the right quantity of spice that you know that you will utilize before the recommended sell by date otherwise you will only be throwing it away when it is dried up and tasteless.

Bon spice

Offline abdulmohed2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:32 PM »
I have used many brands but I have found Raja was the best.

Abdul

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Hi Guys

Sounds like you have this covered already, but here is something I heard from Az the head chef and owner of Chutneys Indian TA in Fleet Hampshire.

Spices such as Rajah, East End & TRS are all excellent and of high quality. I don't recall him mentioning Natco, but it was just a light hearted chat rather and an in depth analysis of every conceivable brand.

He says these days he generally exclusively uses TRS and sometimes East End in his restaurant. This is because when he buys massive whole sale size bags of spices - Rajah seems to be almost double the price of TRS or East End.

I think the price difference to us who buy 100g or 400g bags of spice is only a matter on pence, so we would likely not question the price difference so much. However If this extra expense in the case of catering quantities is really so high - it seems likely that most TA's and restaurants would likely be doing the same thing?

Cheers

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 12:24 PM »
Hi All
I've been using Supreme Brand by Lubna foods Bradford.
Really good products and good prices.
May be hard to find as there internet profile is nearly zero.

But there Mango pulp is by far the best I've ever tasted.
Examples -
100g Black Salt 49p -
100g Methi Powder (white) 49p -
50g Whole Star Aniseed 69p -
and a 300g bag of Deggi Mirch only 1.59p -

Well worth looking at if you can find it. ;)

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes