Author Topic: Small GINGER discovery  (Read 1874 times)

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Small GINGER discovery
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:59 AM »
Hi all,

On a whim I purchased a jar of ultra pureed Ginger paste stuff instead of the real thing.  Nothing too esoteric, just ginger and water I think.

After an admittedly dodgy UK ounces to US liquid ounces conversion I went ahead and used it tonight for a big base cook-up and a meal. 

The curry definitely had a bit more zing tonight!  I don't think it was the chillies because my dear lady asked for three in the pot instead of the required five for tonight's Jalfrezi.

I'm posting to see if anyone has any thoughts on this?  Is puree okay generally, because it tasted great, fuller somehow.

:-)

DeeDee

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Small GINGER discovery
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 06:55 AM »
Hi DD,

As a good old standby I buy jars of either pureed Ginger or Garlic or you can get jars with a mix of both.
A lot of recipes call for equal amounts of Ginger and Garlic and the mixed jars are very convienient and seem to last ages without going off. I think you are right that there is a certain something about the taste ( a zing! ) and wonder if this might be vinegar or some sort of spirit which helps preserve freshness and stops it discolouring which freshly minced Ginger/Garlic seems to do.

Regards

Ray

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:54 AM »
Hello DD

Look at the contents of the jar. They vary, but there's almost always a preservative of some kind and it could be this that's giving that added kick. Any MSG in there by any chance?

Offline DeeDee

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 12:56 AM »
I finished the jar and binned it so I'll check the label next time.  Can't stand MSG, gives me a headache.  :P

:-)

DeeDee

©2024 Curry Recipes