Author Topic: Masaledar sauce?  (Read 26626 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Masaledar sauce?
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Hi all, can anyone help me out with any masaledar sauce recipe ideas, which are popular in Glasgow....kind of sweet, and can appear in red curries such as Jaipuri?
Thanks
ELW

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Masaledar sauce?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06 PM »
There a reference by ArtistPaul to "Raan Masaledar" here, rather a long way into the message.
** Phil.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:16 AM by Phil (Chaa006) »

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52 AM »
There is also a recipe for
"Raan Masaledar"

http://www.pakladies.com/raan-masaledar/

Or here

http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/raanmasaledaar.html

Would recommend the second one

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53 PM »
thanks for the help guys, I was trying to find out what makes it a sauce in its own right or what gives it its sweet/sour tangy flavour. Masaledar as a dish on its own is a bit too tangy for me, but added to say jaipuri, i find takes the edge off it & gives it a fairly unique flavour that id like to try and re create..can anyone tell me how common mango powder is in bir recipes?
regards
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:53 PM »
thanks for the help guys, I was trying to find out what makes it a sauce in its own right or what gives it its sweet/sour tangy flavour. Masaledar as a dish on its own is a bit too tangy for me, but added to say jaipuri, i find takes the edge off it & gives it a fairly unique flavour that id like to try and re create..can anyone tell me how common mango powder is in bir recipes?
regards
ELW

Welcome to CR0 ELW.  Sorry but i have no experience of either of the dishes in question.  As for amchoor / mango powder I don't believe it to be that common in the BIR kitchen.  I think any sourness tends to be added by tamarind juice / concentrate and lemon juice / dressing or maybe pre mixed powders such as chaat masalla.  Can any of our regular kitchen goers shed more light on this I wonder???

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:43 PM »
HI ELW

I tend to agree with Curryhell - mango powder is normally already mixed into various packet powders and in the very rare occasion that a chef does mix up (very rare) - then it may be used. When i mix up Tandoori masala i use it as one of the ingredients.

best, Rich

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:55 PM »
HI ELW

I tend to agree with Curryhell - mango powder is normally already mixed into various packet powders and in the very rare occasion that a chef does mix up (very rare) - then it may be used. When i mix up Tandoori masala i use it as one of the ingredients.

best, Rich

Funny you should say that Loveitspicy. That's the only reason that i have amchoor powder in my spice box.  Homemade TM is so much better ;).  I am tempted to try it in my north indian special at some stage though instead of tamarind.

Online martinvic

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 01:10 AM »
Apparently it's used more in the North as a souring agent, as opposed to the Souths use of Tamarind.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Hi ELW
Welcome to the forum
I think Masaledar is a Punjabi term, meaning spicy, tangy, full of flavour etc...

Punjabi run BIR's can be quite different to Bangladeshi BIR's
but I'd hazard a guess it's Tandoori mix or Jal mix that gives it it's flavour and colour.

The few Punjabi restaurants I've been in, all you can eat, buffet style
tend to have the same background taste to all their curries.

I might be wrong but I've always put that down to Bassar Mixed Powder.
If your trying to replicate a Pakistani curry, it follows you use their spice mix.

Amchoor Powder is a secondary spice and I suppose It will be used Chef dependent.

The three google reference's to "Raan Masaledar" are the identical recipe :-\

cheers Chewy

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:52 AM »
The three google reference's to "Raan Masaledar" are the identical recipe :-\
Going on my usual theory that one restaurant's spelling of a dish is not necessarily the most common, I just tried a variant on "Masaledar", breaking it down into two more common words : "Masala dar".  Throw that phrase into Google and it comes up with a whole slew of dishes (about 33 000, in fact), so it may be worth trying that as your search term.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1152&bih=683&q=%22masala+dar%22&btnG=Google+Search

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes