Author Topic: BIR Curry Lessons  (Read 11263 times)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
BIR Curry Lessons
« on: September 27, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Hi all

I was speaking to Az last night and he said he would be interested in running cooking lessons once he has taken over a restaurant (The Blue Tiger for those who know Fleet). We were talking about price and I had to say I had no idea what would be perceived as good value. As an opening bid I suggested maybe ?50 for a 4 - 5 hour lesson covering base sauce, marinades, massalas, spice mixes as well as hands on cooking of dishes and trying (or burning) your hand at naans in the tandoor. This would include a meal at the end of it to eat your creations.

Does this sound about right? I had a go doing some hands on cooking last night and I learned soooo much. Its amazing how little garlic starts off the Madras (less than half a teaspoon), and there was hardly any spice mix added. The base was much weaker and diluted than my usual batches but this means he can add more to the pan (2.5 full ladles worth) and spend longer reducing it down.

It would be good to hear you guys thoughts on it. Is ?50 too much or too little? The meal is probably worth ?15 - ?20 so ?30 - ?35 for 4 - 5 hours hands on lessons sounds like good value to me. I could probably negotiate a CR0 discount if a few members fancy coming along at the same time. Actually - that would be a fab idea. Anyone up for it?

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Curry Lessons
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Hi Chris,
I think 50 quid for 4-5 hours would be a fantastic price and the meal included. 8)
You can't knock that.
Mick

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:53 PM »
Hi Chris

Agreed, would be more than pleased to pay Az that sort of money for some lessons.

Please count me in if / when it goes ahead.

Regards

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Yes, also sounds good value to me (excellent value, in fact), and if I can arrange to stay with friends in Hook on the day it takes place, I too would be definitely interested (as might well one of my friends in Hook, if it doesn't clash with her "Women for Women - Cycle Vietnam and Cambodia" charity ride !).

** Phil.

Offline madstwatter

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:38 PM »
Definitely up for this. I think ?50 is a great price.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:03 PM »
You can certainly count me in. I'm definitely up for a bit more education ;D.  Great value and you get fed as well :P.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Definitely up for this. Price seems good for what you get. Would be interested in doing a group lesson.

Nice one Chris.  :)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 11:45 PM »
chriswg - The price sounds fantastic - wish i was there! as they say...

I know this is a question and those who pay would say bollocks - but what about posting a few findings when you are there - ie you have already mentioned little garlic (which is how i cook - 1 tsp) and a weaker base gravy

best, Rich

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 06:59 AM »

I know this is a question and those who pay would say bollocks - but what about posting a few findings when you are there - ie you have already mentioned little garlic (which is how i cook - 1 tsp) and a weaker base gravy

best, Rich

I'm sure we'd be only willing to share any nuggets of knowledge that we get -  for  a price of course  ;D ;D ;D

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:11 AM »

best, Rich

I'm sure we'd be only willing to share any nuggets of knowledge that we get -  for  a price of course  ;D ;D ;D

Ha ha ha -

©2024 Curry Recipes