Author Topic: Garlic Powder  (Read 9411 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic Powder
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 04:40 PM »

I may be wrong, or not quite remembering correctly, but in my heyday of curry eating (late 70's early 80's) I am sure the curries had loads more garlic.
Martin

Martin
I think you are correct mate, I to remember lot's of garlic

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 01:13 AM »
I may be wrong, or not quite remembering correctly, but in my heyday of curry eating (late 70's early 80's) I am sure the curries had loads more garlic.
I remember you would smell of it for a day or two after, sweating garlic was term we used then, so people would often ask on a Monday, at work, if you'd had a curry the weekend

Absolutely! 

I have never been able to reproduce that effect, despite how much garlic I add.   Which indicates, to me, that something is awry with what I do (with respect to replicating BIR curries from yesteryear).  This observation points to it being ingredients, or quantities of ingredients. 

It could well be that they used loads of garlic powder rather than (or in addition to) fresh garlic.

Offline alarmist10

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:58 AM »
Martin

Thanks for reminding me about the garlic smell etc!  My heyday has been from mid 60s until now!! And I seem to remember having that garlic taste in the mouth for days, too!

CA - again, thanks for the comment about the garlic powder.  It was the same thought that prompted me to start the thread......it was a comment made by 'the main man' at my local T/A on how they used garlic powder to create a distinctive taste.    As I said in a post yesterday, I reckon the only way to test the significance or otherwise of the garlic powder is to set up an experiment comparing standard spice mix with standard + garlic powder and report the results.

Offline ifindforu

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 11:24 AM »
Many thanks for all your helpful comments!
PHIL - enjoyed the really useful links, especially the quick peel method that I've never seen before!
RAZOR - yes, there was a very strong smell and taste from the garlic.  Like you, my suspicion was that it was in the spice mix.......but it was one of the 'closed door' takeaway places so I couldn't see into the kitchen!  But then
HALDI's observation on the lack of garlic powder in restaurant kitchens seems to knock that idea sideways.
JERRYM - I used to watch the Wolves(the Dougan/Richards era), but am a Newcastle man from birth! 
UNCLEFRANK - another excellent tip!
Overall, I go with JERRYM's comment on this - getting the garlic in there is what counts.  Maybe HALDI's right and it is largely used in Takeaway cooking.  I have it in my spice masala as Razor suggests - I'm using Cory Ander's version - rather than the base mix.
That taste still haunts me, and I'll keep trying.  Thanks again for the ideas!
are you saying cory anders version dosnt hit the taste that haunts you mmm interesting maybe he dosnt know everything

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 05:13 PM »
are you saying cory anders version dosnt hit the taste that haunts you mmm interesting maybe he dosnt know everything

1.  I am not even sure that "alarmist10" has tried any of my recipes?!

2.  I, nevertheless, have NEVER professed to know "everything"!  (though I can understand why some may feel that I come across that way sometimes  :P)!  If I did know everything, I wouldn't be on this forum!  I merely agreed with YOU that I think it might be true that YOU, probably, can't teach me anything.  Go ahead and prove me wrong, please!  If not for me, for other members of the forum.

3.  It is YOU who professes to know "secrets", which you allude to, but don't ever seem to divulge.  I appreciate all you posts; they have the ring of "authenticity" to them.  I love your base.  I have said so many times.  But why all this beating around the bush? I really don't know?  If the "secret is "gor" (or "gur", or "palm sugar") in the base, to sweeten it, then fair enough.  I (and I am sure others) will be sure to try it (though several base recipes on this forum already include sugar in the recipe).  Though a full recipe would be extremely helpful!  8)

Meanwhile, I reckon you'd do yourself a favour by being far less obtuse and far more succinct in your posts.  You've been here (and, presumably, in Wales) long enough to know not to play silly, obtuse, games!  :-\
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 06:25 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 05:24 PM »
And now you've made me f*ck up me rice!  ::)  :o

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 05:36 PM »
And now you've made me f*ck up me rice!  ::)  :o

OOOP's  ::)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2011, 08:52 PM »
It could well be that they used loads of garlic powder rather than (or in addition to) fresh garlic.

Heya Cory

It was always my understanding (and I may be wrong here, as I can't remember where I read or heard this) that, that garlic pong people get, and you smell on the train when standing next to someone, comes from powdered garlic and that eating fresh garlic doesn't have the same effect ie it doesn't make you pong of garlic after eating it.

I think it's also true that eating food with powdered garlic in dehydrates you and makes you thirsty. Ever woken up in the middle of the night after a BIR blowout with a raging thirst? Mind you it could have been the 10 pints of lager that went with it!

Cheers and good Karma.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 09:01 PM »
If the "secret is "gor" (or "gur", or "palm sugar") in the base, to sweeten it, then fair enough.

Heya Cory

Jaggery! Concentrated sugar cane juice or palm sugar as you say, very prolific in Asian cuisine, I use it in my Thai Green Curry.

I've never thought to swop that in for plain old white granulated sugar in Indian dishes, I'm going to try that, thanks for the tip!

Cheers and good Karma.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 10:37 PM »

Heya Cory

It was always my understanding (and I may be wrong here, as I can't remember where I read or heard this) that, that garlic pong people get, and you smell on the train when standing next to someone, comes from powdered garlic and that eating fresh garlic doesn't have the same effect ie it doesn't make you pong of garlic after eating it.

I think it's also true that eating food with powdered garlic in dehydrates you and makes you thirsty. Ever woken up in the middle of the night after a BIR blowout with a raging thirst? Mind you it could have been the 10 pints of lager that went with it!

Cheers and good Karma.

ALSO it could have been an over zealous chef at the T/A using a big spoonful of MSG - the amount of powdered garlic in a curry should only be half to 1 tsp - that ain't gonna make anyone thirsty - only if you eat it off the spoon

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes