Author Topic: CA's chicken ceylon with chicken tikka  (Read 7346 times)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's chicken ceylon with chicken tikka
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16 AM »
that looks great curryhell...I'm going to make ca base & one of his recipes  tomorrow for the first time. How do they compare to bir in general?....I am new to this so have  only tried a few bases so far & noticed ca's has no coconut which as a base flavour is something i don't normally taste in my usual takeouts apart from say Ashoka, which has really strong garlic/ginger coconut flavours.

Off topic: can anyone confirm onions / peppers / mushrooms are sometimes pre cooked in something sugary (Jaggery? is this even used in bir?)I had lightly cooked onions & peppers  in a Jaipuri last week which had been clearly cooked in something very sweet prior to being added
Thanks in advance

ELW
It certainly tasted as good as you all think it looks :).  You only have to read CA's recipes and the feedback from other members to know that they are as close to the real deal as you can get, as are many of the recipes on the site.  I personally rate CA's base but i do plan to try others that have received positive feedback.  My plan is to make my favourite dish (north indian special) using a selection of bases and see which one works best.  I currently have four in the freezer at the moment and will be looking to add Abdulmohed's next.  As for coconut, a few bases use it and i have used it myself but didn't find it made any appreciable difference IMHO. Others may disagree :D.
I know pepper and onions are pre-fried before being added but as for the use of Jaggery I'm not sure. It's use is mentioned in several threads in the forum and it apparently imparts a distinct savoury/smokey sweetness different from normal sugar.  Do they use it regularly  in BIR's?  I'm can't answer that one but in a couple of threads it has been found in the BIR kitchen.  It may be that some do and some don't.  I am sure other members will pitch in with their experiences on this. Maybe it would be a good  question to post  in the BIR Main Dishes Chat section, as it buried in this thread and may not be seen or answered.

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 08:14 PM »
yes curryhell i'll put it up where it can be seen, Im new here, but am on the fastrack to get up to speed..must have read 1000 posts..trouble is, once i learn something new...it pushes something old out of my brain!
ELW

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 08:46 PM »
yes curryhell i'll put it up where it can be seen, Im new here, but am on the fastrack to get up to speed..must have read 1000 posts..trouble is, once i learn something new...it pushes something old out of my brain!
ELW Pp
I know the problem only too well :(. The capacity decreases year on year.  The question you asked is very valid and I think quite a few members here will be able to contribute positively and we may all learn something which is what this site is all about

©2024 Curry Recipes