Author Topic: Chilli Sauce?  (Read 10063 times)

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
Chilli Sauce?
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:42 PM »
Does anyone know how to make the Chilli Sauce they make on Donner Kebabs? I know its not exactly Curry Requests..but a sister somehow.

ALso how do they make the Red and White Cabbage they put on them too?

ANyone know :D

Thanks

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli Sauce?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 08:24 PM »
Does anyone know how to make the Chilli Sauce they make on Donner Kebabs? I know its not exactly Curry Requests..but a sister somehow.

Sorry mate, I've never been sober enough to remember the next day exactly what it tastes like. I do remember it tastes worse coming up than going down though.? ?;D

ALso how do they make the Red and White Cabbage they put on them too?

It's a little known fact, but the common white cabbage is quite easily embarrassed. The wily farmers, learning of this and never being slow to seize a new marketing opportunity, formed the 'fmc' or farmer's mooning collective.

Basically at a given time in the white cabbage's growth cycle the fmc sneak up on the unsuspecting cabbages and collectively drop their trousers, subjecting the poor cabbages to an onslaught of rosy cheeked tomfoolery. The cabbages, as is their nature, immediately turn a lovely shade of red.

It then remains for the dear old farmers to reap the red and white cabbages, slice them finely, mix and voila, red and white cabbage dressing for your kebab.

Either that or the geezer in the kebab shop just buys a red cabbage and a white cabbage, slices them finely, mixes them and there you have it. DUHH!? ? ::)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 09:04 PM »
Does anyone know how to make the Chilli Sauce they make on Donner Kebabs?
One of my kids likes that stuff
I'd like to know too
I did a search, to see if it's bought in, and couldn't find it

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:47 AM »
My favorite kebab house buys in the chilli sauce, I always thought it was homemade but once saw one of them topping it up out of a big chilli sauce container. 

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:50 PM »
So is that the same kind of Chili Sauce you can get at the supermarket  made by Sharwoods?

Ray

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 12:53 PM »
No idea I didn't reconise the make but it was big and not the sort of thing you would get in your local super market.  If I go back anytime soon I will ask them.

Offline John

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 12:35 AM »
What i use is:
Ketchup               for the base
chilli powder          for the heat
water                   to thin it out so it runs all over the salad

I did ask some guy years ago that was serving me a kebab how he made the sauce, and he said tomato sauce,cayenne and pepper.
All i can say is experiment till you find what you like, then let us know!

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 02:32 AM »
Well, I have found out that some places buy it in Bulks from a Cash and Carry, I would LOVE to know what the brand name is of it though!. Different taste from what you would buy Chilli Sauce at your local ASda. Some places make their own, living in America now theres no way I can go into a Kebab Shop and ask (well find one untill they tell me).

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 12:18 PM »
I was in my favourite kebab outlet and saw them filling up the squeeze bottle from a large plastic container, I tried to snap the front but the picture didn't come out legible.

All I can say is that the label was oval, then next time I'm in I'll try again.

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 02:27 PM »
Oval..hmm havent heard that make?

Yeahh anyone whos in a Kebeb shop next, ask them what the brand is of the chilli sauce they use and where they get it.

Cos that stuff is soooooooooooooo darn good!

©2024 Curry Recipes