Author Topic: Chilli Sauce?  (Read 10065 times)

Offline nige52

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chilli Sauce?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 12:14 PM »
When I lived in Wolverhampton, in Chapel Ash (Where there's loads of restaurants, take- aways, Chinese, kebab shops) There was and still is I believe a famous Turkish kebab take away with a couple of plastic tables and chairs for those too drunk to stand.
This kebab shop was always packed as the food was top quality and the chilli sauce was home made and fantastic. It sat there next to the salad in a very large shiny stainless steel bowl and it's main ingredients were tomatoes and chilli. It was pure heat, on the counter was a photo of the chilli champ, the person who could endure the most tablespoons of chilli on his donner.
Every week there was a new champ's photo.....I think it was 25 Tbls at the last count.....I once actually made this chilli sauce to perfection, looks consistency and taste but all I can remember about it was that it was done in a food processor (Not a blender, it wasm't a puree) it was made with oil, fresh toms and red chilli powder, but whether it was fried or not I'm not sure.............dammit........now I fancy some....... :P

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Nige,

Would love it if you could remember how to make it, you got me set off now..mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Our Chilli-head champ would have to be DarthPhall, rumour has it he brushes with habonero toothpaste!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 06:32 AM by Ashes »

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Darph!!! Tell me.....

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 06:41 PM »
I would try Rays idea the Sharwoods Chilli sauce, there are two that i can remember one sweet & one just savory both are very good i prefer the savory which is very similar to Donner Kebab sauce.

all the best .....DARTHPHALL.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2006, 08:26 AM by DARTHPHALL »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 03:25 AM »
There are literally hundreds of chili sauces sold in retail outlets in North America - here is a link which might prove to be useful .

http://www.all-chili.com/hot-sauce.html

CC

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 02:08 PM »
Thanks for that link! I have tried alot of them but they never came close to what the Donner Kebab Shops have? If I ever visit home again Im gonna go into a Kebab Shop and ask them 8)

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 10:35 PM »
hi guys
one drunken night in ashford kent went into ashford grill and kebab house whilst i was waiting i asked about the chilli sauce of course being a bit of a chilli-head :) he said they use tomato puree, chilli powder and water.just getting the quantities right you mix it all up in a small saucepan and simmer until ready you would probably need it to cool. i have tried it too much success just getting it to the right consistency and heat level you like. the bottled kind you guys are talking about is concentrated sauce and tastes lovely and hot but i have found that it is mainly found on the shelf at the old kebab van as opposed to the shops i have been into. the nearest to me is in headcorn (shop that is) it makes its own it very different to ashfords it has celery tiny pieces of pepper tomato juice or watered down puree and chilli powder but it is quite watery and not as hot .

hope this helps you with those saturday nite cravings for heat.

regards
gary

Offline Midge

• Chef
  • Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Gary.

Hmm thanks for that. I certianly am wondering now. Whenever I would have a kebab from anywhere up in Geordieland, I would always end up noticing that their Chilli Sauce had consistency, lumps of stuff? Whatever it/or they were I will never know?

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 05:40 PM »
It could well be that the chili sauce was more along the line of a salsa than a sauce if it had texture.

CC

©2024 Curry Recipes